[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] RPC talking OSI?

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (10/28/88)

	Has anyone seen a copy of RPC that speaks an OSI protocol
instead of using UDP?  Anyone at TWG (or anyone else) have anything
like this available either now or in the works?

					adv -thanks- ance,
					  kevin

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Sleaze Hack) (11/02/88)

In article <6200010@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:

>	Has anyone seen a copy of RPC that speaks an OSI protocol
>instead of using UDP?  Anyone at TWG (or anyone else) have anything
>like this available either now or in the works?

Yep!  The company you're looking for is called Netwise.  It is at
4745 Walnut St. Boulder, CO 80301; 303-442-8280.  They gave me an email
address of "hao!isis!1com!wldrdg!PERSON", but that is on the ass-end of
nowhere, and I've never been able to use it.

I HAVE NOT USED THEIR PRODUCT.  THE FOLLOWING COMES FROM TALKING WITH THEM
AND READING THEIR LITERATURE.  MY KNOWLEDGE OF OSI STANDARDS IS ALSO LOW.

The product is called RPC TOOL.  It compiles something like C (or maybe
C itself) into server and client stubs.  There is a data transmission
protocol called PDU.  The protocol is "DIS/ISO 8825" according to their
literature.  When I talked to them they said it was "ASN.1".
They claim to support MS-DOS, VMS (no matter who you bought your
TCP/IP from), UNIX, OS/2, VM, and MVS.  They have an impressive
list of networks on which they run: TCP/IP, OS/2 LAN Manager, NOVELL,
DECnet, OSI?MAP, and SNA/APPC.  They also claim to be "About as fast as
Sun's RPC."  Stubs in ADA are also supported.

It is likely that I will be evaluating (read: writing test programs with)
RPC TOOL in the next month or so.  If you want to hear what I think of it
then, send me email.

Josh
--------                Quote: "If you haven't ported your program, it's not
Addresses:                      a portable program.  No exceptions."
joshua@atherton.com OR
sun!athertn!joshua  OR
{backbone}!{decwrl!hpda}!athertn!joshua  work:(408)734-9822 home:(415)968-3718

mrose@TWG.COM (Marshall Rose) (11/03/88)

Of course, there's also the rpc facility in the ISODE, which implements
the International Standards for Remote Operations over both TCP (using
the method defined in RFC1006) and over pure OSI networks (e.g., SunLink
OSI and Wollongong's OSI stack).  I haven't seen the Netwise software,
but I do know that the ISODE is running world-wide, has interoperated
against other OSI implementations, and is openly available, source code
and all, for a modest handling fee.  Drop a note to Bug-ISODE@TWG.COM to
find out how to get a copy.

/mtr

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (11/03/88)

>	Has anyone seen a copy of RPC that speaks an OSI protocol
>instead of using UDP?  Anyone at TWG (or anyone else) have anything
>like this available either now or in the works?

sorry- should have been more specific.  I was looking for a version
of SunRPC over ROSE (X.219).  Thanks to Marshall and Sleaze_Hack for
the info in general-  looks like I'll be checking out TWG's ISODE
for ROSY over ROSE (/mtr - is that the RPC mechanism you were referring
to?)

					thanks again,
					  kevin

rhc@rcole.lb.hp.co.UK (Robert Cole) (11/04/88)

> 	Has anyone seen a copy of RPC that speaks an OSI protocol
> instead of using UDP?  Anyone at TWG (or anyone else) have anything
> like this available either now or in the works?

> 					adv -thanks- ance,
> 					  kevin
Have a look at DIS 10148, which is a copy of ECMA 127.
Robert