[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SUPDUP

rsm@amethyst.UUCP (Robert Maier) (01/01/70)

In article <870928095131.6.DCP@KOYAANISQATSI.S4CC.Symbolics.COM> David
C. Plummer writes:

>There is and has been a display oriented terminal protocol for a
>long, long time. ...  I'm referring, of course, to the SUPDUP
>protocol, RFC 734 of 1978.  If you want graphics, you can do that
>too:  the SUPDUP Graphics extension, RFC 746 March 1978.

It's my impression that SUPDUP (as described in Richard Stallman's
1983 AI Lab Memo 644; I don't have the RFC's handy) doesn't support
alteration of display terminal characteristics after the connection
initialization takes place.  Wouldn't that rule out its use in a
modern windowing environment?  Windows can be resized.

It looks like a very nice job, just the same.  I have a generic
Unix implementation here; are there any implementations of the
graphics extension available for SunView or X Windows?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: ..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!rsm
Univ. of Arizona  | Bitnet: maier@arizrvax
Tucson, AZ  85721 | Phone: +1 602 621 6893  /  +1 602 621 2617

KLH@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Ken Harrenstien) (11/01/88)

For several days now people have been talking about whether TELNET can
support Unix notions like rlogin, and if so, how.  Groan.  Wheel
re-invention is always discouraging to see, especially when the new is
worse than the old; I'm not sure if this message will help, but I feel
obliged to speak up.

There have already been several attempts to enhance TELNET
negotiations to support the exchange of terminal type/handling
information and to encourage transparency.  The most successful that
I'm personally aware of -- certainly one of the oldest -- is SUPDUP.

SUPDUP is listed as one of the TELNET options in the DDN Procotol
handbook; unfortunately, for full details it refers to another RFC
which by some oversight is not included in the handbook.  I have
listed the relevant RFCs below:

(RFC749)
   NIC-45499    18 Sep 78    (Greenberg)   Telnet SUPDUP-OUTPUT Option
(RFC747)
   NIC-44015    21 Mar 78    (Crispin)     Recent Extensions to the SUPDUP
   Protocol
(RFC746)
   NIC-43976    17 Mar 78    (Stallman)    The SUPDUP Graphics Extension
(RFC736)
   NIC-42213    31 Oct 77    (Crispin)     TELNET SUPDUP Option
(RFC734)
   NIC-41953     7 Oct 77    (Crispin)     SUPDUP Protocol

These (or any other) RFCs can be obtained from SRI-NIC.ARPA either by
FTP of the filenames RFC:RFCnnn.TXT or by e-mail to
SERVICE@SRI-NIC.ARPA with "RFC nnn" in the subject line.  The index
itself is RFC:RFC-INDEX.TXT (or "RFC INDEX").

--Ken
-------

dab@VAX.FTP.COM (11/02/88)

SUPDUP, besides having a more reasonable virtual terminal, also provides a
local editing capability for those people who are worried about packet per
keystroke inefficiency.

						David Bridgham

slevy@UC.MSC.UMN.EDU ("Stuart Levy") (11/05/88)

Yes, but SUPDUP local editing protocol, while very powerful, is also very
complicated.  It makes X.3 look trivial.

	Stuart