[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Morris, the law, and his state of mind

deke@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian) (11/11/88)

In article <552@comdesign.CDI.COM>, pst@comdesign.cdi.com (Paul Traina) writes:
>Look, this is getting out of hand.  Maybe I feel the way I do because my
>network was not infected.
>
>			He did not do it on purpose.
>			He *was* negligent.
>			He *should* have done more to spread the word.
>			He was *scared* of the reaction.
>			He is intelligent, and has made *valuable*
>				contributions to the net.
But what he did was nevertheless harmful and destructive, and should
not be encouraged.  Leaving him alone sends the wrong message to other
would-be virus hackers.... that its "ok" to spread a virus if you "teach
a valuable lesson".  But its not.  Consider some of the less obvious
consequences of his actions.

Scientists and researchers at a university like mine were unable to use
their computers and network links during the virus attack, and lost valuable
time.  As always, some were up against deadlines and may well be hindered now
in their chances for getting results before a conference, or in getting a
grant proposal out before deadlines.

The medical center/teaching hospital at my university is also network
connected.  What if the network overload caused patient monitoring systems
there to be sluggish and inadequate?  Would that be OK because Mr. Morris
"did not do it on purpose"?   As it turns out, this was not a problem here,
but it's not out of the question... it could have happened somewhere.

This is serious business!  Thank goodness you and I take the network seriously
by being good citizens and using our expertise in constructive ways.  Others
should be encouraged to do the same.

>Paul Traina				To believe that what is true for
>{uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst		you in your private heart is true
>pst@cdi.com				for all men, that is genius.

      ^Deke Kassabian,   deke@ee.rochester.edu   or   ur-valhalla!deke
   Univ of Rochester, Dept of EE, Rochester, NY 14627     (+1 716-275-3106)

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (11/12/88)

OK, if you think he should be punished, what should the extent of the
punishment be?  I personally feel nothing more than something token
is in order, say a fine and 100 hours of community service.  People
like Mr. Morris do *not* belong in jail.

Cheers,
--

Chris Long
Mathematics Department

kjd@rust.DEC.COM (Kevin J. Dunlap - DECwest Engineering) (11/14/88)

>>From:  clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long  12-Nov-88 0158 GMT)
>>
>>OK, if you think he should be punished, what should the extent of the
>>punishment be?

Three years working for the NIC having to deal with the day to day
problem solving and fire fighting that has to be done on a large network.

-Kevin

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Sleaze Hack) (11/15/88)

>>>From:  clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long  12-Nov-88 0158 GMT)
>>>
>>>OK, if you think he should be punished, what should the extent of the
>>>punishment be?

How about 8000 hours of time working for GNU?  Hacker public service!
If GNU will not take him, then perhaps Berekely (sp?).

Josh
--------                Quote: "If you want a program bad enough, you'll get
Addresses:                      a bad program."
joshua@atherton.com OR
sun!athertn!joshua  OR
{backbone}!{decwrl!hpda}!athertn!joshua  work:(408)734-9822 home:(415)968-3718

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (11/16/88)

In article <241@olive.athertn.Atherton.COM>, joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Sleaze Hack) writes:

> How about 8000 hours of time working for GNU?  Hacker public service!
> If GNU will not take him, then perhaps Berekely (sp?).

Given Stallman's views on security, I'm sure GNU would welcome him with
open arms.

BTW, how many people are still running gnu emacs' movemail suid root?

Mike.
--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca