[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] WANTED: disassembled copy of internet virus

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (11/17/88)

In article <5011@polya.Stanford.EDU> waters@umunhum.Stanford.EDU (Jim Waters) writes:
>  I was recently informed that some folks at Purdue did a real nice
>job of symbolically disassembling the binary part of the recent
>Internet virus.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a copy
>locally.  Is there anyone out there who snagged a copy who would be
>kind enough to mail it to me?

	As of late last week, Purdue had voluntarily removed their disassembled
source for the virus from public areas.  It was reported in the papers that
NCSC (National Computer Security Center) had called/emailed Spaf and asked him
to remove it so that other people wouldn't be tempted to study it and try to
copy some/all of it for use in another virus.  (Private mail also confirms
this story, as I recall).

	So, while it would be great to look at the real source (I have seen the
disassembled source, and unless you're really in to reading VAX assembler,
it's not that exciting), the chances of this occuring are about ZERO.  About
the only thing I can suggest is wait for the RFC/whatever that some people are
working on now (so I hear).

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |