[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SF columnist on the Worm, suggests

zweig@p.cs.uiuc.edu (11/18/88)

/* Written  2:50 pm  Nov 15, 1988 by csg@pyramid.pyramid.com in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.protocols.tcp-ip */
In article <457@gonzo.UUCP> daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>Jon Carrol's Wednesday column in the SF Chronicle is an interesting
>example of the level of "popular journalism".

And Dave's posting is an interesting example of copyright violation. It is
AGAINST THE LAW (to say nothing of highly inethical) to reprint coyrighted
works without the permission of the copyright holder. Newspaper articles are
no exception.

I asked Dave (via e-mail) to cancel the posting; he refused. I have cancelled
it myself.

<csg>
/* End of text from p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.protocols.tcp-ip */

The fact is, it is *NOT* illegal to reprint copywritten material unless
the author specifically denies permission. I haven't seen a newspaper
ever that does so. If Dave were getting some financial advantage by
posting the article, it would be copyright violation. Quoting newspaper
articles for purposes of discussion/comment simply isn't something that
the copyright laws of the U.S. were designed to prevent.

Johnny Zweig
Department of Computer Science
   Rule 1: Don't believe everything you read.
   Rule 2: Don't believe anything you read.
   Rule 3: There is no Rule 3.