[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] FBI Contact re: November Internet Virus

TomZ@DDN1.ARPA (11/14/88)

         Were YOU hit by the November Internet Virus?

                      The FBI wants to hear from you!

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is attempting to gather critical
information necessary to pursue this case under the Computer Fraud and
Abuse Act of 1986.  (This is the statute that makes it a federal crime
to penetrate a computer owned by or run on the behalf of the Government.)

The FBI Case Agent has asked the Defense Data Network Project Management
Office to collect the names of organizations and Points of Contact (names
and phone numbers) that were hit by the Virus.  The Defense Communications
Agency has established an E-Mail address for this collection at:

                       INFO-VACC [at] BEAST.DDN.MIL

    Points of Contact should expect to be contacted by their local FBI
    agents for dispositions due to the wide geographical area involved.

                     I * M * P * O * R * T * A * N * T

            The FBI needs this information to pursue the case.

      If we expect their aid in the future, we need to help them now.

PLEASE GIVE THIS MESSAGE MAXIMUM DISTRIBUTION; NOT EVERYONE IS ON "TCP-IP"!

/s/
Tom Zmudzinski
DDN Security Officer
(703) 285-5206

pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina) (11/15/88)

From article <8811141359.AB05134@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by TomZ@DDN1.ARPA:
<
<          Were YOU hit by the November Internet Virus?
<
<                       The FBI wants to hear from you!
[deleted....]
< PLEASE GIVE THIS MESSAGE MAXIMUM DISTRIBUTION; NOT EVERYONE IS ON "TCP-IP"!
< /s/
< Tom Zmudzinski
< DDN Security Officer
< (703) 285-5206

Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
better.

							Paul

(Disclaimer: does the DDN perhaps know something that they're keeping hidden?
	     if so, I take back my implication about them being stupid, and
	     replace it with an accusation along the lines of "Why didn't you
	     tell us, you stupid jerks, as we have to check our non TCP sites."

				*sigh*)

------
Paul Traina				To believe that what is true for
{uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst		you in your private heart is true
pst@cdi.com				for all men, that is genius.

sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) (11/15/88)

In article <557@comdesign.CDI.COM> pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina) writes:
:From article <8811141359.AB05134@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by TomZ@DDN1.ARPA:
::
:
:Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
:f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
:better.
:
:[junk deleted which suggested paranoia on the part of the poster]
:------
:Paul Traina

This type of comment is totally uncalled for. 1). Tom was referring
to the TCP-IP mailing group. 2). I have had a couple of occasions to talk
with Tom since this whole thing started and I have found him to be quite
helpful, open to suggestions, and willing to share appropriate information.
I am not opposed to personal flames (though it is not my style), but this
one was simply ungrounded and contributed nothing to our understanding of
the problem.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (11/16/88)

In article <557@comdesign.CDI.COM> pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina) writes:
>From article <8811141359.AB05134@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by TomZ@DDN1.ARPA:
>[deleted....]
>< PLEASE GIVE THIS MESSAGE MAXIMUM DISTRIBUTION; NOT EVERYONE IS ON "TCP-IP"!
>[deleted....]
>
>Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
>f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
>better.
>
>							Paul

which you happen to be reading.  I imagine from your ignorance you are
reading the list throught the Usenet `comp.protocols.tcp-ip' gateway'ed news
group?

So, tell us more about `those stupid jerks'...  :-|

path:   uunet!mimsy!jds 				James da Silva
domain: jds@mimsy.umd.edu

jas@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Shankland) (11/16/88)

In article <8811141359.AB05134@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TomZ@DDN1.ARPA writes:
>The Federal Bureau of Investigation is attempting to gather critical
>information necessary to pursue [the Morris worm] case under the Computer
>Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986.
>    Points of Contact should expect to be contacted by their local FBI
>    agents for dispositions due to the wide geographical area involved.

I'll bet you mean "depositions", not "dispositions".

*My* disposition is usually sunny, except when the FBI comes knocking
at the door.

Jim Shankland
jas@ernie.berkeley.edu

pst@comdesign.CDI.COM (Paul Traina) (11/16/88)

From article <557@comdesign.CDI.COM>, by pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina):
> Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
> f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
> better.

You would think that some idiot would think to read twice, examining all
interpretations of a message, before coming back with an obnoxious reply.
Needless to say, some idiot did not.  Appologies to the DDN et al.
--

ejs@GOLDHILL.COM (Eric Swenson) (11/16/88)

   Date: 14 Nov 88 20:34:59 GMT
   From: amdahl!pyramid!comdesign!canary!pst@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Paul Traina)
   Sender: tcp-ip-request@sri-nic.arpa

   Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
   f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
   better.

This assumptions is certainly not true.  The tcp-ip mailing list is
for discussions about TCP/IP implementations (and viruses) and many
sites are not the least bit interested in this topic (TCP/IP, that
is).

-- Eric

stjohns@BEAST.DDN.MIL (Mike St. Johns) (11/17/88)

I was going to include the message I was replying to, but decided I
didn't need to reinforce the profanity.

*sheesh*  When Tom said "Not everyone is on TCP-IP" he was referring
to the TCP-IP mailing list.  Now don't you feel stupid?

Mike

pst@comdesign.cdi.com (Paul Traina) (11/17/88)

From article <557@comdesign.CDI.COM>, by pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina):
> Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
> f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
> better.

You would think that some idiot would think to read twice, examining all
interpretations of a message, before coming back with an obnoxious reply.
Needless to say, some idiot did not.  Apologies to Tom, the DDN et al.

I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, after
reading all of the other flames about this whole mess I had visions of the
keystone cops entering the scene.

------
Paul Traina				To believe that what is true for
{uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst		you in your private heart is true
pst@cdi.com				for all men, that is genius.

RAD@VAX02.AMS.COM (RichDeJordy@SRI-NIC.ARPA, x295) (11/17/88)

Someone oibjected to the line "Not everyone is on TCP-IP" as part of a request
for expanded distribution of some informational message, saying that everyone
hit by the virus was, and that the DDN either didn't know what they were saying
or they were hiding something.

I believe the misconception is this.  TCP-IP was meant as the TCP-IP mailing
list from SCORE, not the Internet itself.
-------

nate@altos86.UUCP (Nathaniel Ingersoll) (11/17/88)

In article <557@comdesign.CDI.COM> pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina) writes:
:From article <8811141359.AB05134@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by TomZ@DDN1.ARPA:
:[deleted....]
:< PLEASE GIVE THIS MESSAGE MAXIMUM DISTRIBUTION; NOT EVERYONE IS ON "TCP-IP"!
:
:Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
:f-cking virus was.  You whould think the DDN's security officer would know
:better.

Note that the posting was to the newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip
                                                          ^^^^^^
and that 'not everyone is on "TCP-IP"' meant that it was quite likely
that not all interested parties read this group.

--
Nathaniel Ingersoll
Altos Computer Systems, SJ CA

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/17/88)

> pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina) writes:
> Sigh.  ... not everyone is on "TCP-IP" ...?  Everyone who got hit by the
> f-cking virus was.

	I think what the man was trying to say was that not everybody is on
the INFO-TCP-IP mailing list.  At least that's how I interpreted it.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

ejs@GOLDHILL.COM (Eric Swenson) (11/18/88)

   Date: Wed 16 Nov 88 15:46:13-EST
   From: RichDeJordy@goldhill.com, x295 <RAD@vax02.ams.com>

   Someone oibjected to the line "Not everyone is on TCP-IP" as part
   of a request for expanded distribution of some informational
   message, saying that everyone hit by the virus was, and that the
   DDN either didn't know what they were saying or they were hiding
   something.

   I believe the misconception is this.  TCP-IP was meant as the
   TCP-IP mailing list from SCORE, not the Internet itself.
   -------

Interesting, the above message (cc'ed to the tcp-ip mailing list) claims to
have come from a RichDeJordy@goldhill.com.  There is no such user here at
Gold Hill and no such user on any of our machines.  Whoever sent this message
has a machine whose mailer does the wrong thing when trying to reply to a
message.  Who sent this message anyway, was it rad@vax02.ams.com?  If so,
please check your mailer.

-- Eric