[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] a holiday gift from Robert "wormer" Morris

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (11/07/88)

"Wormer" Morris has quite a career ahead of him, i'll bet.
he has done us all a favor by benevolently bashing bsd 'security'.

the smtp/sendmail security hole that he exploited was big enough to
drive the Whirlwhind computer through -- never mind a few
thousand Suns & bsd vaxes.

the hole was so obvious that i surmise that Morris
was not the only one to discover it.  perhaps other less
reproductively minded arpanetters have been having a field
'day' ever since this bsd release happened.

some of the more security minded folk out there might have
archived ps records which could indicate the presence of
spurious shells spawned from smtp.  depending on how long
Mr. Morris used the security hole, he may be very well qualified
to tell all whether he saw signs of other creative use of the
sendmail security gift.

in at least one sense, Morris has done a service for the internet.
nobody will be able to continue to "benefit" from the bsd/sysV
sendmail -- which was the true trojan horse.

--

  	harvard!spdcc!eli

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/07/88)

# the hole [in sendmail] was so obvious that i surmise that Morris
# was not the only one to discover it.  perhaps other less
# reproductively minded arpanetters have been having a field
# 'day' ever since this bsd release happened.

I've known about it for a long time.  I thought it was common knowledge
and that the Internet was just a darned polite place.  (I think it _was_
common knowledge among the people who like to diddle the sendmail source.)

The bug in fingerd was a big surprise, though.  Overwriting a stack frame
on a remote machine with executable code is One Very Neat Trick.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William Westfield) (11/07/88)

This has been the second major trojan horse in sendmail.

I think the people working on the code should put a lot more
thought into including code that can cause such serious security
holes EVER, in addition to trying to make sure that test code is
not propagated into "production" environments.

It isn't obvious to me that being able to send mail to commands
is particurally useful even in a debugging environment.

Bill Westfield
cisco Systems.
-------

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (11/07/88)

In article <24@jove.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>The bug in fingerd was a big surprise, though.  Overwriting a stack frame
>on a remote machine with executable code is One Very Neat Trick.

       Yes.  But not all that uncommon, given classical C's rather casual
approach to array sizing.  "login" in V6 UNIX could be broken by submitting
very long, suitably constructed passwords.

					John Nagle

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (11/07/88)

In article <24@jove.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
># the hole [in sendmail] was so obvious that i surmise that Morris

According to press reports, RM spent his summers working at AT&T
on "Unix Communications Software Security". Anyone with a source
license check to see if he slipped a trojan horse into uucico
or uuxqt or something?
--
John Moore (NJ7E)           {decvax, ncar, ihnp4}!noao!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 861-7607 (day or eve) {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!...

ferencz@cwsys3..CWRU.Edu (Don Ferencz) (11/07/88)

In article <24@jove.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:

>I've known about it for a long time.  I thought it was common knowledge
>and that the Internet was just a darned polite place.  (I think it _was_
>common knowledge among the people who like to diddle the sendmail source.)
>
>The bug in fingerd was a big surprise, though.  Overwriting a stack frame
>on a remote machine with executable code is One Very Neat Trick.

I wasn't aware of these tricks, but I find them interesting now, knowing
what security hazards they pose.  Is there some place interested
[sick, twisted] individuals like me could get more information on
Morris' handiwork?  It would be a benefit from a security aspect.  I also
realize that presenting such information could be considered another
risk, perhaps "inviting" someone else to subject us to the same
peril (although most of the net is now "immunized" against this
particular virus).

| Don Ferencz                       |  "And in the end/                   |
| ferencz@cwsys3.cwru.EDU           |   The love you take/                |
| Department of Systems Engineering |   Is equal to the love you make."   |
| Case Western Reserve University   |       -- The Beatles                |

dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) (11/08/88)

In article <2060@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> "Wormer" Morris has quite a career ahead of him, i'll bet.
> he has done us all a favor by benevolently bashing bsd 'security'.

I knew about this sendmail bug at least four years ago, courtesy of Matt
Bishop (now at Dartmouth).  He wrote a paper detailing at least a half dozen
holes in the Unix system and methods for constructing trojan horses which was
so dangerous that he responsibly decided not to publish it, but instead to
give selected copies to people who could fix some of the problems.  He also
wrote an article for the Usenix newsletter, ;login, which explained how to
write secure setuid shell scripts--a major source of security holes.  Matt did
not "benevolently bash" anyone's machines.  His behaviour, while unsung by
the press and the Usenet community, is an example of the highest in profession-
al and academic standards.  This is the kind of behaviour that we should be
extolling.

It is a pity that the perpetrator of this hack, allegedly Mr. Morris, is now
hailed as a famous "expert" in computer security.  No doubt he will make a
fortune after the noise dies down as a security consultant.  In fact, I saw
someone quoted in this morning's Wall Street Journal as saying that the
perpetrator was someone he would love to hire!  Not I!  I would think that
prison would be a better place for a person who cost the government, several
universities, and many companies untold thousands of man-hours and millions of
dollars in downtime and effort spent tracking this piece of garbage down.  And
it is almost certain that all the copies of the virus haven't been found.

Unfortunately, the press seems to grab hold of every stupid jerk like this and
hail him as some sort of genius.  Somehow the issue of computer security evokes
images of high school kids firing off MX missles or some other vision which
terrifies the public, and the press loves sensation more than substance.  A few
years ago there was pandemonium in the press when someone told them that
terminals with programmable function keys could be trojan-horsed.  Big deal!
But the media broadcast repeatedly the "revelation" that most terminals in the
world had this "bug."  Now they are jumping up and down because the recent
virus made its way into Lawrence Livermore and NASA Ames--even though it didn't
make it into any classified machines.  The news people are more interested in
irresponsibly stirring people into a frenzy than they are in responsible
reporting of facts.

I call upon my fellow computing professionals to promote ethical behaviour
amongst their students and colleagues and to denounce destructive misuse of
computing knowledge.  I also call upon them to refuse to participate in the
glorification of people in the profession who engage in this kind of behaviour.
We must police ourselves and censure those amongst us who engage in this type
of computer crime.  Much is at risk if hysterical reporters cause hysterical
law makers to place restrictions on networks, on the capability of hardware,
on access to computing facilities, or on software.  Computer security costs a
great deal of money, like defense spending.  I for one would rather see this
money go for better things.

			Dave Emberson (dre@sun.com)

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (11/08/88)

In article <76424@sun.uucp> dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:
>In article <2060@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>> "Wormer" Morris has quite a career ahead of him, i'll bet.
>> he has done us all a favor by benevolently bashing bsd 'security'.
>
>prison would be a better place for a person who cost the government, several
>universities, and many companies untold thousands of man-hours and millions of
>dollars in downtime and effort spent tracking this piece of garbage down.  And
>it is almost certain that all the copies of the virus haven't been found.

	my opinion is that it is almost certain that others have
	been using such security holes in unix for quite some time.

	i'm glad to see such gaping security holes closed; it is too
	bad that it took a USA Today Worm Program to do this.  ca va.

>Unfortunately, the press seems to grab hold of every stupid jerk like this and
>hail him as some sort of genius.

	Morris is apparently quite intelligent.
	but he's also apparently a jerk enough to let his worm get away.

	we may be lucky that it escaped (or was released) before he
	had a chance to slow its propagation speed such that it would
	be more difficult to notice...  or worse.

--

  	harvard!spdcc!eli

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (11/08/88)

>According to press reports, RM spent his summers working at AT&T
>on "Unix Communications Software Security". Anyone with a source
>license check to see if he slipped a trojan horse into uucico
>or uuxqt or something?

      This is serious.  The knowledge that this person had the opportunity to
tamper with the master source code for UNIX is very worrisome.  A major
examination of all AT&T-provided security related code is in order.

      We may not be at the end of this yet.

					John Nagle

avr@mtgzz.att.com (a.v.reed) (11/09/88)

<
< I knew about this sendmail bug at least four years ago, courtesy of Matt
< Bishop (now at Dartmouth). He wrote a paper detailing at least a half dozen
< holes in the Unix system and methods for constructing trojan horses which was
< so dangerous that he responsibly decided not to publish it, but instead to
< give selected copies to people who could fix some of the problems.  He also
< wrote an article for the Usenix newsletter, ;login, which explained how to
< write secure setuid shell scripts--a major source of security holes.  Matt did
< not "benevolently bash" anyone's machines.  His behaviour, while unsung by
< the press and the Usenet community, is an example of the highest in profession-
< al and academic standards.  This is the kind of behaviour that we should be
< extolling.

Really? In my book, a key component of professionalism is "owning
the problem". That means you work it until it gets fixed. "Giving
selected copies to people who could fix some of the problems"
(they didn't) is not enough.  Morris did what was necessary to get
the problems fixed. For that, many of us are grateful. And yes,
some of us LIKE people who "own the problem" until it is solved.

				Adam Reed (avr@mtgzz.ATT.COM)

morgan@polya.Stanford.EDU (Robert L. Morgan) (11/09/88)

I could only sigh as I telnet'ed to the various machines that I use
here on campus to change my passwords last Friday morning (along with
most other users, no doubt), hoping that some "bored graduate student"
wasn't sucking up the cleartext passwords as they passed across our
various braodcast LANs.

The recent viral event makes it very clear that those of us who
promote the use of network-attached computers in their current
insecure state are on the same moral ground with, say, the automotive
engineers and management who manufactured and sold the exploding
Pintos of a few years back.  There is a conspiracy of silence
(acknowledged by those posters who "knew about the bug four years
ago") that we all participate in whenever we design, produce,
purchase, or install such systems without raising the issue of
security.

Project Athena (among others) has shown that order-of-magnitude
improvements in security are possible without terrible penalties in
performance or usability, but is anyone listening?  I hope people will
keep the implications of the virus attack in mind as they go about
their daily technological work.  A patch to sendmail, putting Mr.
Morris in jail, or saying the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, are
not the answer.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

dudek@frapray.ksr.com (Glen Dudek) (11/09/88)

In article <1445@anasaz.UUCP> john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>In article <24@jove.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>># the hole [in sendmail] was so obvious that i surmise that Morris
>
>According to press reports, RM spent his summers working at AT&T
>on "Unix Communications Software Security". Anyone with a source
>license check to see if he slipped a trojan horse into uucico
>or uuxqt or something?

I was system administrator at Harvard's computer science computing
facility while Robert Morris was an undergraduate there.  I found him
to be an intelligent and responsible person.  He volunteered his
assistance in solving difficult problems in network configuration and
routing, and helped to make Harvard a major Northeast news and mail
gateway.  He did not exploit his knowledge of UNIX security
deficiencies to break into systems or install trojan horses, though he
well could have.

I do think that if he did indeed release this worm, he showed
extraordinarily poor judgement.  However, I would not consider it
justice to punish him as a criminal.  I am convinced he had no
malicious intent (please, no arguing about intent and breaking the law -
I am talking about justice, not the law).

I do not think the world need worry about holes that Robert Morris
could have created - I think we need to worry about the ones he didn't find.

	Glen Dudek
	ex-postmaster@harvard.harvard.edu

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (11/09/88)

In article <76424@sun.uucp>, dre%ember.sun.com (David Emberson) writes:
) I knew about this sendmail bug at least four years ago, courtesy of Matt
) Bishop (now at Dartmouth).  ...  His behaviour, while unsung by
) the press and the Usenet community, is an example of the highest in
) professional and academic standards.

How long have you been at sun?  Or how long has anyone at sun known of
the debug hole?  And yet they kept shipping binaries with the hole open.
This is an example of the lowest in conscientious responsibility to the
customer.
				Matt Crawford

alb@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (11/09/88)

In article <17823@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
>      This is serious.  The knowledge that this person had the opportunity to
>tamper with the master source code for UNIX is very worrisome.  A major
>examination of all AT&T-provided security related code is in order.
>
>      We may not be at the end of this yet.
>
>					John Nagle

Personally, I'd be much more concerned with software that was
written by people who have been clever enough to have not yet
been caught...

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (11/09/88)

In article <17823@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
>      This is serious.  The knowledge that this person had the opportunity to
>tamper with the master source code for UNIX is very worrisome.  A major
>examination of all AT&T-provided security related code is in order.

Not just security related code - but ALL code.

A trojan horse in awk or sed would be just as deadly.  I'm casting my vote
with some other poster who suggested taking a fine toothed comb to all the
UUCP code.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a replacement login so I can have a shadow password
file on this machine.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Artifical Trish:

seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel) (11/09/88)

In article <76424@sun.uucp> dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:
>In article <2060@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>> "Wormer" Morris has quite a career ahead of him, i'll bet.
>> he has done us all a favor by benevolently bashing bsd 'security'.

>I knew about this sendmail bug at least four years ago, courtesy of Matt
>Bishop (now at Dartmouth).  He wrote a paper detailing at least a half dozen
>holes in the Unix system and methods for constructing trojan horses which was
>so dangerous that he responsibly decided not to publish it, but instead to
>give selected copies to people who could fix some of the problems.  He also
>wrote an article for the Usenix newsletter, ;login, which explained how to
>write secure setuid shell scripts--a major source of security holes.  Matt did
>not "benevolently bash" anyone's machines.  His behaviour, while unsung by
>the press and the Usenet community, is an example of the highest in profession-
>al and academic standards.  This is the kind of behaviour that we should be
>extolling.

In all due respect, why?   It didn't seem to be very effective in closing
the hole in sendmail.   Now that everyone is coming out of the woodwork
exclaiming that they've known about this bug for years, I can't help but
wonder why it wasn't fixed.  There were a lot of people running around
a couple of weeks ago under the blissful assumption that their computers
were reasonably secure - they had done all the "right" things, vis a vis
file protections, setuid scripts and the like, and all the while, *anyone*
with the appropriate knowledge (and apparently a lot of people had it)
could have done *anything* they wanted to your machine!   Perhaps that
was no great surprise to many readers of this newsgroup.  Fine.  If that's
the way people want it, then let's be up front and print a warning on
each copy of system software that ships:  "Congratulations!  You just
bought a fine copy of Unix.  Don't keep any files you care about on it."
If we have security holes on our machines that are well known, and we
do nothing to patch those holes, we are asking for trouble.

George Seibel

seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel%Kollman) (11/09/88)

In article <11226@cgl.ucsf.EDU> I write:

>file protections, setuid scripts and the like, and all the while, *anyone*
>with the appropriate knowledge (and apparently a lot of people had it)
>could have done *anything* they wanted to your machine!

Oops.. not *anything*, perhaps *some* things... the sendmail bug doesn't
provide root access; more likely 'daemon' or something of that sort.
One of our local hosts did have the root password cracked in the recent
worm attack, but that was due to poor choice of root password rather
than any of the myriad *other* security holes we learned about courtesy
of Mr. Morris.  My appologies for the misinformation.

George Seibel

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (11/09/88)

In article <389@ksr.UUCP> dudek@ksr.com (Glen Dudek) writes:

>I was system administrator at Harvard's computer science computing
>facility while Robert Morris was an undergraduate there.  I found him
>to be an intelligent and responsible person.  He volunteered his
>assistance in solving difficult problems in network configuration and
>routing, and helped to make Harvard a major Northeast news and mail
>gateway.  He did not exploit his knowledge of UNIX security
>deficiencies to break into systems or install trojan horses, though he
>well could have.

Is anyone sure that Morris didn't plant any trojan horses at Harvard?
From the popular press accounts (admittedly the popular press is naive
and sensationalist) Morris had passwords recorded in his account for
machines at MIT and Harvard.  Is this so?  If so, why did he have them?
If so, did his buddies at Harvard give them to him, or did he steal them?

I am sure that Glen Dudek speaks with authority about Morris' helpfulness,
intelligence, and general good nature.  But how can he authoritatively
state that Morris did not compromise Harvard's systems?

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (11/09/88)

This is a very difficult case.  If Good Morris is let off because he is
sincere and meant no harm, what about the 2000 Evil Morrises that lurk
in every high school and university in the land?  The next guy could
claim that his destructive program was not meant to be destructive, that
he (or she) only meant to overwrite the systems' message of the day, and
a bug resulted in destroying a filesystem.  (Morris is like a crime buff who,
to prove that it can be done, smuggles a gun onto a plane and hijacks it
to Canada.  He has shown a problem in the system, but he has created the
defense for every would-be hijacker in America.)

And remember, at least two of the well-known Macintosh viruses were not
meant to harm anyone's system, but unexpected side-effects caused crashes.
Morris' program wasn't meant to get loose, but it did.  It wasn't meant to
destroy data but...

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (11/10/88)

In article <17823@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      This is serious.  The knowledge that this person had the opportunity to
>tamper with the master source code for UNIX is very worrisome.  A major
>examination of all AT&T-provided security related code is in order.

This is nonsense. He worked at the research center in Murray Hill, which
has nothing to do with the organization in charge of the official System V
distribution in Summit, NJ.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU (11/10/88)

	Date: 7 Nov 88 20:06:23 GMT
	From: dre@sun.com
	Subject: Re: a holiday gift from Robert "wormer" Morris
	To: tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa

	I knew about this sendmail bug at least four years ago,
	courtesy of Matt Bishop (now at Dartmouth).  He wrote a paper
	detailing at least a half dozen holes in the Unix system and
	methods for constructing trojan horses which was so dangerous
	that he responsibly decided not to publish it, but instead to
	give selected copies to people who could fix some of the
	problems.

This raises another interesting question:  what is the responsibility
of the major Unix vendors vis. such network security problems?  If
these security holes have in fact been known by people in SUN and DEC
(not to mention Berkeley) for years, why weren't they fixed?

I believe that the ONLY way we are going to see most of these Unix
security problems resolved is to beat on the vendors to fix them in
their next releases.  We are being totally irresponsible if we use
the Unix from vendor X, know about a major security hole in X's Unix,
and don't SPR it.  X is being totally irresponsible if they don't
fix problems SPRed, and quite irresponsible not to be fixing problems
that are "common knowledge".

A test:  will the next releases of SunOS and Ultrix include
   -	a sendmail without the "debug" bug
   -	a fixed fingerd
   -	a fixed ftpd
   	...etc.?

bill@UHCCUX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (William J. King) (11/10/88)

Perhaps the Computer Science programs should:
    1.  require students to take ethics, humanities and social science
        courses.
    2.  restructure their programs such the early years are not simply
        set up to flunk out all but the 'compulsive' hackers.  Fortunately
        these programs do NOT succeed, and ' a few good men & women' get by.
Furthermore:
    3.  lets not celebrate movies such as 'War Games' where the hacker kid
        breaks the law numerous times AND gets off.
    4.  Lets engineer better operating systems!
    5.  More distribution of binary systems and less source code.

hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) (11/10/88)

In <11226@cgl.ucsf.EDU> seibel@hegel.mmwb.ucsf.edu.UUCP (George Seibel) writes:
> [...] If that's
>the way people want it, then let's be up front and print a warning on
>each copy of system software that ships:  "Congratulations!  You just
>bought a fine copy of Unix.  Don't keep any files you care about on it."

You would prefer VMS where you can read the documentation to find out how
to break security?  Or how about a system with no features?

If you boadcast a bug, and its fix/patch, you take responsibility for that
patch.  You also risk letting loose all sorts of mayhem on systems where
the system manager is lazy or on vacation.  Binary sites are particularly
limited in the number of fixes they can apply.  So out go the fixes quietly,
and perhaps only locally.  Here we are.

Do you have a good answer, or are you just going to indulge yourself in
a good screaming fit?

>If we have security holes on our machines that are well known, and we
>do nothing to patch those holes, we are asking for trouble.

True.  But not real.  Many people spend a great part of their waking
hours monitoring and fixing the system, locally and for others.  Don't
be viscious and ignore their hard work.

>George Seibel
/*    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!cs!net1!hutch
		    		ARPA:	JHutchison@ucsd.edu
     These are my opinions, and now you have your perceptions of them. */

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (11/10/88)

> According to press reports, RM spent his summers working at AT&T
> on "Unix Communications Software Security". Anyone with a source
> license check to see if he slipped a trojan horse into uucico
> or uuxqt or something?

Morris wrote an entirely new version of uucp, one that a higher degree
of inherent security than any of its predecessors.  It was in fact
installed as the production uucp on a number of research machines for
several years.  Ultimately, it was supplanted by Honey DanBer uucp
because it wasn't hardened enough against real-world failures.  At
Morris's request, I went over the code in great detail; there were
no holes visible -- and I repeat, I studied his code thoroughly.
In any event, to the best of my knowledge that version of uucp was
never released.

		--Steve Bellovin

andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) (11/11/88)

In article <17823@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
> >According to press reports, RM spent his summers working at AT&T
> >on "Unix Communications Software Security". Anyone with a source
> >license check to see if he slipped a trojan horse into uucico
> >or uuxqt or something?
>
>       This is serious.  The knowledge that this person had the opportunity to
> tamper with the master source code for UNIX is very worrisome.  A major
> examination of all AT&T-provided security related code is in order.
>
>       We may not be at the end of this yet.
>

> 					John Nagle

come on. this is so prepostrous that i feel obliged to respond.
morris has never worked on System V code which is probably what you mean
by the master source. he has worked on Research Unix but given Ken Thompson
used his Turing Award lecture to advertise a trojan horse he put into
research unix; you would have to be very naive to trust research unix.
(although there are currently no known trojan horses or viruses.)

more importantly, morris has been doing this in an open way; penetrating systems
from the outside, not via trojan horses. in a peculiar (but obvious to me) way,
he is doing the honourable thing; attacking systems via their own foibles,
and not ones he has added. and we have heard peter honeyman acknowledge
morris's contribution towards the current uucp.

so think a little before raising panics and denigrating people's character.

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (11/14/88)

Think of the fun everyone is going to have when the politicians and
lawers start chewing on this.  Especially any of them who read CACM.
Can you say regulation?

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd@clutx.bitnet

dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) (11/15/88)

I wish to clarify my recent statement that I knew about this security hole in
sendmail.  Apparently some people have taken this to mean that Sun Microsystems
knew about a problem in their software and deliberately shipped a sendmail with
a security hole.  This is not the case.

At the time that Matt Bishop told me of this bug (1984), we were both employed
by Megatest Corporation.  I ran the computer engineering group there, and Matt
was a member of the group.  We were a beta site for Berkeley's Unix group.
Matt's research interest is in security, and that is how I found out about this
bug.  It was my understanding that the sendmail trapdoor was reported to
Berkeley in 1984 and fixed in 4.3BSD.

I have been employed by Sun Microsystems since January of this year.  At no
time did anyone in the software group know that the sendmail trapdoor could
be used to breach security.  If the bug had been properly reported, it most
certainly would have been fixed.  When Sun finally did become aware of the
security problems, reaction was swift and effective.  I think the work that
Chuq Von Rospach did in getting patches through the system in only a few
days (through a thorough software QA process) is representative of the kind
of responsiveness that Sun strives for and generally provides.

Paul Vixie of DEC Western Research Labs also posted a note to this network
stating that he knew of the sendmail problem:

>From sun!decwrl!vixie Sun Nov  6 11:36:10 1988
>Subject: Re: a holiday gift from Robert "wormer" Morris

># the hole [in sendmail] was so obvious that i surmise that Morris
># was not the only one to discover it.  perhaps other less
># reproductively minded arpanetters have been having a field
># 'day' ever since this bsd release happened.
>
>I've known about it for a long time.  I thought it was common knowledge
>and that the Internet was just a darned polite place.  (I think it _was_
>common knowledge among the people who like to diddle the sendmail source.)
>
>The bug in fingerd was a big surprise, though.  Overwriting a stack frame
>on a remote machine with executable code is One Very Neat Trick.
>--
>Paul Vixie
>Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

So, I suppose that it is technically true that the knowledge of this problem
existed both inside of DEC and Sun, but it was never reported via a formal
bug report, so it apparently fell through the cracks at both companies.  In
my case, I thought the problem no longer existed.  So I was very surprised to
see this trapdoor exploited by the worm.  It did not seem to me like I was
impugning the quality of anyone's work to say, "Oh yeah.  I knew about that."
I did not think it necessary to say that my statements are not official
statements of Sun Microsystems, Inc.  I thought that was obvious.  In any case,
I sincerely apologize to the very fine team in Sun's software group for this
misunderstanding.

			Dave Emberson (dre@sun.com)

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (11/16/88)

In article <77604@sun.uucp>, dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:

> So, I suppose that it is technically true that the knowledge of this problem
> existed both inside of DEC and Sun, but it was never reported via a formal
> bug report, so it apparently fell through the cracks at both companies.

  Note that DEC claims to have closed the door (before the worm).  As far as
  I know, Vaxen running Ultrix did ok.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

cmf@cisunx.UUCP (Carl M. Fongheiser) (11/17/88)

In article <666@hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
>  Note that DEC claims to have closed the door (before the worm).  As far as
>  I know, Vaxen running Ultrix did ok.
>
>   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

That's true, they did.  However, there are enough Ultrix machines on the
Internet which *don't* use Ultrix sendmail that blanket statements about
the safety of Ultrix aren't necessarily trustworthy.

Why don't we run Ultrix sendmail?  Because currently available releases
of Ultrix sendmail don't know how to talk to domain name servers or process
MX records.  I suspect if you asked a number of other people, they'd give
you the same answer.

Ultrix 3.0 is supposed to handle that stuff, so maybe this will all mean
something in the future.

				Carl Fongheiser
				University of Pittsburgh
				...!pitt!cisunx!cmf
				cmf@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
				cmf@pittunix.BITNET

dle@CSL.SRI.COM (David L. Edwards) (11/17/88)

> William J. King <bill@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> writes:
> Furthermore:
>     3.  lets not celebrate movies such as 'War Games' where the hacker kid
>         breaks the law numerous times AND gets off.
>     4.  Lets engineer better operating systems!
>     5.  More distribution of binary systems and less source code.

While I am tired of this topic, I couldn't let this go by without a
comment.  I agree with 3 & 4 with an emphasis on 4.  But distribution
of more binary is crazy.  Source code was not a real issue in the
current virus EXCEPT that the lack of it kept many sites from
immediately fixing the problems.  A good hacker never needs source to
figure out flaws in a design especially when the flaw is as well known
as the Sendmail one.  All a hacker has to do is come up with a create
use for it.

-dle

torben@DORSAI.ICS.HAWAII.EDU ("Torben N. Nielsen") (11/17/88)

>Perhaps the Computer Science programs should:
>    1.  require students to take ethics, humanities and social science
>        courses.

Computer science programs I know of already do that. That's still a part
of a college education.

>    2.  restructure their programs such the early years are not simply
>        set up to flunk out all but the 'compulsive' hackers.  Fortunately
>        these programs do NOT succeed, and ' a few good men & women' get by.

I believe the current tendency is to spend the first few years teaching
mostly algorithms and data structures. I'd think that it's hardest for the
so-called hackers to make it through the first few years. At least it is if
they follow a normal curriculum.

>Furthermore:
>    3.  lets not celebrate movies such as 'War Games' where the hacker kid
>        breaks the law numerous times AND gets off.

Why not? I thought that was a rather delightful movie and if you think about it,
it had quite a few *good* points. Besides, all those blinking lights was a nice
touch :-)

>    4.  Lets engineer better operating systems!

We are. Look at how we've advanced in functionality. It's not all that
surprising that a few holes exist. Actually, I'm more surprised that there
haven't been more problems than this. Making a system secure is pretty easy.
If you don't mind throwing functionality overboard. Let's learn what can be
learned from this incident, fix the holes and go on. Hopefully, vendors and
researchers/developers alike will be a little more careful about what they
release in the future.

>    5.  More distribution of binary systems and less source code.

I trust you're not serious..... Let's get more source systems out there and then
get people to work actively on breaking them. With as much information as
possible. That way we might make some real gains.

						Torben

csd1032@UX.ACSS.UMN.EDU ("Aaron Y. T. Cheung") (11/20/88)

In article <CMM.0.88.595118467.bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bill@UHCCUX.UHCC.HAW
   AII.EDU (William J. King) writes:

|     4.  Lets engineer better operating systems!

better in what sense? is Multics better than Unix?

|     5.  More distribution of binary systems and less source code.

Please justify.  For as I see it, binaries are more difficult to
patch satisfactorily when problems arise (Murphy's Laws predict so)
and that Trojan hourses could creep in more readily, especially
regarding distributions in public domain.

/*
 *   Aaron Y. T. Cheung
 */