[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Morris bashers...

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) (11/09/88)

Dave Emberson (dre@sun.com) points out how  anti-social  and  ir-
responsible  Robert  Morris was to unleash the worm, and is upset
that Mr. Morris is being glorified at the expense of the net  (in
the form of hundreds of man hours put in by worm eradicators).  I
understand the point Mr. Emberson is making, but I  want  to  ask
him...  if  HE  has  known  about  this hole for four years - why
didn't he do something about getting the word out? What  has  Mr.
Emberson  done to help me close the hole? Nothing. Mr. Morris has
seen to it that the sendmail hole, and several others, are mostly
fixed  across  the  whole network. I wonder how many man hours of
work it would have taken to fix sendmail, finger and the ftp  bug
(that  wasn't part of the worm, but has come to light, I believe,
because of the worm), network wide, under any other circumstances
anyone cares to imagine?

I wish the network only had people as trustworthy as me on it :-),
but you know that there are people out there who will take advant-
age of any security hole they find... our  only  hope  is  to know
about those holes & close them.

So, I don't want to applaud Mr. Morris for his poor judgement  in
unleashing  the  worm,  but  I'm glad the holes are fixed now (no
thanks to you Mr. Emberson!).

-Mike Marshall     hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu    ...!hubcap!hubcap

DISCLAIMER: If Mr. Emberson has spent the last four years  trying
to  get  everyone  he  knows  to  turn off "debug" on their send-
mails... my apologies to him.  It just seems to me that the  worm
issue  points out once again that "security through obscurity" is
no security at all.

dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) (11/09/88)

In article <3481@hubcap.UUCP>, hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:

> if  HE  has  known  about  this hole for four years - why
> didn't he do something about getting the word out? What  has  Mr.
> Emberson  done to help me close the hole? Nothing. Mr. Morris has
> seen to it that the sendmail hole, and several others, are mostly
> fixed  across  the  whole network.

Actually, as I pointed out, Matt Bishop (and I presume others) did alert
the Berkeley folks about the sendmail bug.  I did not know about the one
in fingerd.  I thought the bug in sendmail was fixed in 4.3BSD.  It seems
that Ultrix and SunOS are mostly 4.2 based.

> DISCLAIMER: If Mr. Emberson has spent the last four years  trying
> to  get  everyone  he  knows  to  turn off "debug" on their send-
> mails... my apologies to him.

I have much better things to do with my time, which was one of my points.

			Dave

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (11/10/88)

In article <76593@sun.uucp>, dre%ember@Sun.COM (David Emberson) writes:

> > DISCLAIMER: If Mr. Emberson has spent the last four years  trying
> > to  get  everyone  he  knows  to  turn off "debug" on their send-
> > mails... my apologies to him.
>
> I have much better things to do with my time, which was one of my points.

    Great.  But time enough to waste discussing Mr. Morris :-)

    It is hard to accept that our Unix system vendors promote this half-baked
    attitude.  But given the number of people who have stepped forth to pro-
    claim that they, too, knew about this hole and were kind enough not to
    muck around with our systems really makes me wonder who takes responsibi-
    lity for what.

    I run an end-user shop.  I adopted Unix for several reasons, a big one
    being the flexibility it gives me in selecting hardware and bargaining
    with vendors.  In turn, I expect that I and my people have to invest
    a lot of time in understanding what we are working with, arcane manuals
    and all.  Fair enough.  But to learn that our current and (maybe) future
    vendors distribute software with known and easily-fixed security bugs is
    disheartening in the least.

    There is, to me, a touch of insanity in this security issue.  I have seen
    innumerable messages during the past three years, which state that yes,
    there are problems, but no, we will not discuss them because that will
    simply invite potential destruction and havoc.  So instead, we learn
    about them after they are mass-broadcast through the press.

    Is this the only way ?  Or does everyone like me have to spend whatever
    Unix saves us on developing/paying for the necessary expertise to protect
    ourselves ?

     greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

stjohns@BEAST.DDN.MIL (Mike St. Johns) (11/10/88)

Guys - at this time nothing has been proven about who started this
virus.  From a libel standpoint the words "alleged" or "as stated in
the ABC press" are highly recommended.

Mike

rick@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (11/11/88)

Lets settle the ftpd issue once and for all.

Here are the headers from Bostics message announcing a fix for the
ftpd bug:

From: bostic@OKEEFFE.BERKELEY.EDU (Keith Bostic)
Subject: V1.65 (security problem in ftpd.)
Date: 31 Oct 88 23:17:05 GMT

Note that this was days BEFORE the first sign of the worm.

Therefore, clearly the worm had nothing to do with getting ftpd fixed.

--rick

medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (11/15/88)

Well, let me throw in my opinion here.  With regards to the bugs
used by the virus, I, nor any of my friends at UCB knew about
them.  I don't believe anyone in the CSRG at UCB knew about them.
If we had, one of us would have seen to it that it would have been
fixed.  Just look at the number of security related patches that
UCB has put out on comp.bugs.ucb-fixes in the past year.  People
are serious about fixing bugs in 4.3, but UCB, and I doubt
anyone else are out there, are auditing code.

The CSRG releases a RESEARCH operating system called Berkeley
Unix.  It happens to be a very useful release, and many people
use it, but it is not a product.  There is no software
warranty, and it's fairly cheap.  So I don't have problems with
the CSRG about these bugs; they only do best effort work, and
they really don't even need to do that.  Where I do find a LOT
of problems is what the vendor community is doing here.  SUN and
DEC produce 'products' out of Berkeley Unix.  They charge real
money for these products.  Yet Sun for example had a serious
security bug in one of the network utilities that they knew
about for a year (I have the bug report number), and didn't
issue a patch at all, but waited for 4.0 to fix the problem.
This is ridiculous.  DEC is just as bad.  It's the vendors
who have the responsibility for auditing the code they release.
Go scream at SUN for not finding the bug, not at Berkeley.

Further, you will always get less buggy code from the CSRG
than the vendor community.  Why is that?  The vendor
community normally tracks 4.3 pretty well, though lags
by an inordinate period of time often enough.  If SUN or DEC
finds a bug, they usually tell CSRG about it and
fix it.  CSRG then fixes it internally, and if appropriate,
shortly afterwards releases a bug fix over the network.  They
also get bug reports from others as well.  So CSRG typically
fixes bugs quickly.  SUN and DEC and company don't usually
issue patches; they wait for the next rev. of OS release.
Further, often times the development people fix the bug in the
code they are using, not in what the 'software manufacturing'
group is distributing.  So they need to retrofit the fix.
What it boils down to is that 4.3 has the fixes out soon
after they know about it.  The vendors wait huge periods
of time unless some sort of crisis develops.  You see the
recent postings about ftpd bug fixes to comp.bugs.ucb-fixes?
Have SUN or DEC released patches yet?  Do you really think
that bug is only in 4.3?  The first thing I do when bringing
up a SUN release (I'd do the same thing if I had Vaxstations
instead of SUNs) is throw away all the vendor distributed network
code and port the latest 4.3 utilities.  They work better
in general and have fewer bugs (read security problems).
Also, this way I have source code, so when UCB issues a
bug fix, I can fix it in 5 minutes, as opposed to feverishly
beating on my vendor to give me a binary patch that
probably hasn't even been produced in the company yet.
Folks, for security reasons alone, insist on source code!

Mike Padilipsky has a chapter in his book "Elements of Networking
Style" called "The Myth of Vendor Support".  It's good reading.
Anyone from SUN or DEC want to throw rocks at what I've said?
I'd love to be proven wrong!

Now, about Morris.  Firstly, we don't know if he's responsible
for this thing.  Unless someone has seen a confession, we really
don't know if he's the one yet.  He may well be, but it's
not absolutely clear yet.  But if he is the guy, then the FBI
MUST be able to sucessfully argue a felony case against him
and lock him up.  It makes no difference what his intentions
were or are.  If he did it, he needs to be made an example of.
People playing around occaisionally and attempting to crack
a system out of a sense of novelty is one thing, but something
as large and as well publicized as this virus requires action.
The Internet operates fairly freely, but always has this notion
of a heavy weight somewhere above that can drop on troublemakers
and squash them out of existance.  Otherwise what happens is
that you get a bunch of urchins attacking things all over
the place, and then you have to start restricting the
openess of the network, and thereby lessening it's utility.
So, when people cause this much trouble, they need to be
vigorously prosecuted.  Fortunately, I believe the laws here
don't require proof of malice, only proof of damage.  And
I'm sure that the various government agencies involved
spent a pile of money (in terms of people's time) to squash
this thing, so that shouldn't be hard to prove.

Some people are saying that since the virus wasn't intentionally
harmful, that all this fuss is really no big deal, and it should
be fixed, but is not that big of a deal.  As a person who
was fighting it fairly early on, I'd have to say that we didn't
know it wasn't harmful until we saw the decompiled code a few
days later.  When we were trying to purge our systems of
the thing, we had to assume worst case and that the thing
was harmful.  We had no reason to assume it wasn't.  So we
put in a lot of work to squash it.  It was the prudent thing
to do.

And lastly, let's not forget this was a computer problem, not
a network problem.  Sure the network facilited it's travel,
but not all computers on the net were affected.  As my boss
at NASA HQ said, you don't shut down the Interstate highway
system just because some burgler traveled a freeway on the
way to robbing someone's house.  You beef up security at
the house, not close all the off-ramps.  If you are concerned
about security, make sure your systems are well administered
and managed.  That's the best thing you can do to avoid problems.

					Thanks,
					   Milo

PS All the usual disclaimers about this not being the opinion
of the US Government, Sterling Software, etc... apply here
of course...

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (11/22/88)

Milo Medin writes:

> ... let's not forget this was a computer problem, not a network problem.

I'd like to see people think of it as a "networked computer problem".

The point is that our major operating systems, Unix in particular,
were designed in the era of unconnected machines, hardwired terminals,
and small, computer-knowledgeable user communities.  We have seen
substantial improvements in ease of use, and we now know how to design
communication hardware and software to get reasonable performance from
systems attached to large heterogeneous networks.  We are still a long
way from any general acceptance of the fact that our networked
environment requires a fundamental rethinking of the concepts of
"users" and "systems", the vigilance with which machines must defend
their integrity, and the protocols and services by which reliable
communication is accomplished.

There's important research going on in these topics.  One can only
hope that the worm incident will encourage more people to pursue this
research, and more computer vendors and system designers to implement
systems based on their results.  If this doesn't happen, the days of
our useful, open networks will be numbered.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford University