[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] An Obvious Security Problem?

forrest@CSA3.LBL.GOV (11/10/88)

I am a complete novice at matters relating to networking and haven't
read the Telnet RFC so I may be missing something obvious.

Assume the following network organization:

A <------------------> M <------------------> Z

(Node M is actually one or more gateways.) Couldn't a bad guy on M
monitor the TCP/IP traffic looking for Telnet connections and then
follow through the exchange of login names and passwords, thereby
capturing a node/login and password pair? (I realize that the
path from A to Z is dynamic and that this might not always be
possible.)

Jon Forrest
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
FORREST@LBL.GOV

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (11/17/88)

*A <------------------> M <------------------> Z
*
*(Node M is actually one or more gateways.) Couldn't a bad guy on M
*monitor the TCP/IP traffic looking for Telnet connections and then
*follow through the exchange of login names and passwords, thereby
*capturing a node/login and password pair? (I realize that the
*path from A to Z is dynamic and that this might not always be
*possible.)
*
*Jon Forrest
*Lawrence Berkeley Lab
*FORREST@LBL.GOV

yep. even on a single ethernet someone could use a lan monitor to catch
your passwords as they fly over the net. i believe the Athena people
use Kerberos (sorry about butchering the spelling) to deal with some
of this. (or at least they could . . . . .)

network security is a very big fish to try and fry. basically, the
whole system would have to be re-done. i would think that we would
want to use diffrent "well known ports" for the new secure versions.

and forget IP security. if the packet is on my wire, i can see it.
IP security is only good if all the machines respect it. ( a friend
told me the only real-world use he saw for IP security was internet
wide poker games).

perhaps a kerberos type of scrambling on a host basis rather than
a connection basis (the host has a public key assigned to it).
if you try this, you can skip messing with the programs, and put
the unscrambler between the network code and the application. (
i suppose you could even make it an IP option. then you could even
protect the tcp layer from prying eyes.) this *will* add to the overhead,
though. i havent really thought about this alot, and am not sure if
it is the "right thing to do" yet or not. ah, well, too late now,
i suppose . . . (the "purists" will probably not like this.)

(*sigh*)

stev knowles
ftp software
stev@ftp.com
617-868-4878

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (11/20/88)

In article <881109143927.20402284@Csa3.LBL.Gov> forrest@CSA3.LBL.GOV writes:
    I am a complete novice at matters relating to networking and haven't
    read the Telnet RFC so I may be missing something obvious.

No question is unworthy of asking.

    Assume the following network organization:

    A <------------------> M <------------------> Z

    (Node M is actually one or more gateways.) Couldn't a bad guy
    on   M   monitor   the  TCP/IP  traffic  looking  for  Telnet
    connections and then follow through  the  exchange  of  login
    names  and  passwords,  thereby  capturing  a  node/login and
    password pair? (I realize that  the  path  from  A  to  Z  is
    dynamic and that this might not always be possible.)

Yes.  In fact if one has a LAN sniffer one can  read  the  entire
traffic  on  the  EtherNet  Cable.  All networking schemes assume
physical secuirty of the communications media.

The DoD people have a solution: encrypt the comm-line.  There  is
a  secure  version  on  the  Internet  that does just that.  Even
better is to use end-to-end encryption  for  each  communications
circuit.  The  basic  problem  with all of this is the encryption
overhead and the key and authentication problems.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (11/23/88)

In article <2215@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>In article <881109143927.20402284@Csa3.LBL.Gov> forrest@CSA3.LBL.GOV writes:
>    (Node M is actually one or more gateways.) Couldn't a bad guy
>    on   M   monitor   the  TCP/IP  traffic  looking  for  Telnet
>    connections and then follow through  the  exchange  of  login
>    names  and  passwords,  thereby  capturing  a  node/login and
>    password pair? (I realize that  the  path  from  A  to  Z  is
>    dynamic and that this might not always be possible.)
>
>The DoD people have a solution: encrypt the comm-line.  There  is
>a  secure  version  on  the  Internet  that does just that.  Even
>better is to use end-to-end encryption  for  each  communications
>circuit.  The  basic  problem  with all of this is the encryption
>overhead and the key and authentication problems.

	Link encryption won't solve this problem.  The two links are
encrypted independently and someone with access to the system M could
still pick up traffic and snoop ids and passwords.
	You need either a trusted router (trusted network actually); or
application layer encryption, which is not part of telnet, to avoid
snooping from inside the network.
	Secure networks or secure applications.  Better both.

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (11/23/88)

In article <8811162311.AA09389@vax.ftp.com> stev@VAX.FTP.COM writes:

>yep. even on a single ethernet someone could use a lan monitor to catch
>your passwords as they fly over the net. i believe the Athena people
>use Kerberos (sorry about butchering the spelling) to deal with some
>of this. (or at least they could . . . . .)

Kerberos does provide for encrypted connections (the Kerberos server
generates a random session key for use by the client-service pair
[this key is encrypted using the user and/or service key when it is
sent over the net]).  To the best of my knowledge, there is only
one program that uses it (an encrypted version of rlogin).  Kerberos
authenticated login cuts down on the need to type passwords over the
net.  As long as the remote host accepts authenticated rlogin AND you
do not need a set of tickets on that host, your initial tickets are
sufficient.  There are some cases when Kerberos is insufficient (the
issue of ticket forwarding [getting tickets valid on a remote host
without entering a password] is not yet solved; the security tradeoffs
are a problem).

>i would think that we would
>want to use diffrent "well known ports" for the new secure versions.

That is what is done with Kerberos.

--
   John Carr             "When they turn the pages of history,
   jfc@Athena.mit.edu     When these days have passed long ago,