[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] The TCP-IP List

MKL@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Mark Lottor) (11/19/88)

This is a reminder of what this mailing list is for.  The TCP-IP list
is for discussions related to TCP/IP protocols and implementations.
Occasionally it is used for maximum distribution of Internet related
announcements.  It is not for discussions on passwords or system security,
or anything else.

It takes the mailer about 3 hours to mail out one message to the whole
list.  This means it can't handle more than about 8 messages a day
without getting backlogged.  Please don't clutter things up with one
line responses, flames, or other useless personal comments.
-------

SCOTTY@UOGUELPH.BITNET (Steve Howie) (11/21/88)

I agree wholeheartedly about an excessive amount of traffic being
produced by this list (this message included:-)),so *PULEEZE* try
to keep to the subject, and stop this petty bickering. I for one
hate to see 40 or so mail messages, some many days old, showing up
on my VM system daily - even with our neat mailer it is a real pain to have
to look at every one of them and discard the 90% of them which could be
quickly classified as garbage.
I want to use this list to try to keep up with TCP/IP,
not to listem to re-hashed month old arguments about viruses. That belongs
somewhere else.

Thanx,

Scotty

'God invented Unix when he had to save printer ribbons'

craig@NNSC.NSF.NET (Craig Partridge) (11/24/88)

> It takes the mailer about 3 hours to mail out one message to the whole
> list.  This means it can't handle more than about 8 messages a day
> without getting backlogged.  Please don't clutter things up with one
> line responses, flames, or other useless personal comments.

Mark:

    While I generally agree with the gist of your posting, the notion that
the TCP-IP community is limited to 8 messages (substantive or not) of
discussion per day is highly disturbing.  How can we increase the NIC's
delivery capacity?

Craig

art@SAGE.ACC.COM (11/29/88)

>It takes the mailer about 3 hours to mail out one message to the whole
>list.  This means it can't handle more than about 8 messages a day
>without getting backlogged.  Please don't clutter things up with one
>line responses, flames, or other useless personal comments.

How many end subscribers does the list contain?  I would suspect that
many could be within a university or at least a regional that could
better be served by a second level redistribution machine.  Having
the NIC have to spend the time mailing across the Arpanet/MILnet and
probably a couple of more routers surely must waste a lot of time.

The domain name system went to a distributed hierarchical scheme to deal
with the scaling problem and the TCP-IP list isn't likely to get any
smaller with time.

|	Art Berggreen		Advanced Computer Communications	|
|	<art@acc.arpa>		720 Santa Barbara Street		|
|	(805)963-9431		Santa Barbara, CA 93101			|