[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ARPANET/MILNET mailbridge conspiracy?

geoff@FERNWOOD.MPK.CA.US (the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow) (11/30/88)

The mailbridges between the ARPANET & MILNET seem to be shutoff -- all 7 of
them.  When you call up the NOC and ask what's the matter, you're told there
are "technical difficulties" and service should be restored in the next
24 to 48 hours.  When you ask, like what type of technical problems... Did the
core max out?  Is there another virus on the loose?  What's the nature of the
lossage?  You get nothing other than "technical difficulties".

What's the deal?  Did I miss an announcement or something??
-------

drears@ARDEC.ARPA ("Dennis G. Rears ", FSAC) (12/02/88)

According to the New York Times the offical reason is technical
difficulties.  Unofficially someone or something broke into the Mitre
computers in Mass.

Dennis

Disclaimer:   I do not know if this is true.  A friend just told me
and I have not had time to read the NY Times.  Please no flames for
publishing a rumour.

daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) (12/06/88)

In <8812011607.aa10119@ARDEC-AC4.ARDEC.ARPA> drears@ARDEC.ARPA ("Dennis G. Rears ", FSAC) writes:

>According to the New York Times the offical reason is technical
>difficulties.  Unofficially someone or something broke into the Mitre
>computers in Mass.

Even less officially, don't be surprised if everything starts magically
working after the shuttle lands from it's classified mission.  Could it
be that someone decided not to take *any* chances?

-dB

--
If life was like the movies, the music would match the picture.

{sun,mtxinu,hoptoad}!rtech!gonzo!daveb		daveb@gonzo.uucp