[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Retix Bridges experiences?

peter@myst.uwo.ca (Peter Marshall) (12/03/88)

We are being offered Retix bridges that are supposed to be able to
forward 6000 packets per second and monitor 12000 per second at the
low low price of about us$1850 each.  This is significantly less than
bridges like DEC's LANbridge.  Does anyone have any experience with
these units?  Are they reliable?  Do they get the traffic through?  Do
they support any reasonable monitoring and management capabilities?
What's your experience with these boxes?  Any information would be
much appreciated.
--
Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (12/06/88)

In article <PETER.88Dec2175654@myst.uwo.ca>, peter@myst.uwo.ca (Peter Marshall) writes:
> We are being offered Retix bridges that are supposed to be able to
> forward 6000 packets per second and monitor 12000 per second at the
> low low price of about us$1850 each.  This is significantly less than
> bridges like DEC's LANbridge.  Does anyone have any experience with
> these units?  Are they reliable?  Do they get the traffic through?  Do
> they support any reasonable monitoring and management capabilities?
> What's your experience with these boxes?  Any information would be
> much appreciated.

Peter (and others) the answers to your questions are:

1)They are less expensive than DEC LANBRIDGE units. Their capability is
  100% when doing a black-box/learning bridge function.

2)They are very reliable. Our test units have seen about 1000+ powered on
  test hours on our live network without lock-up or failure of any type.

3)The traffic gets through properly. This includes (on our live net):
  Bridge Communications XNS
  Bridge Communications TCP/IP
  Novell
  Ungermann Bass XNS
  Fairchild fastlink
  Apollo TCP/IP
  Sun TCP/IP
  Daisy TCP/IP
  DECNET
  FTP TCP/IP
  Wollongong TCP/IP
  XYPLEX TCP/IP
  and others too numerous to mention...

4) Monitoring and management - the units that I have experience with are
   black box units, ie they perform a function flawlessly and don't have
   any bells and whistles. I will soon be evaluating the Retix units that
   do support filtering and network management hooks. I will be happy to
   relate my experiences if the net is interested.

If any of you have seen the movie INC - I LOVE this job (as the actor reads
his ever ascending blood pressure reading) :-))

--
Steven P. Donegan                 These opinions are given on MY time, not
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst    Western Digital's

tom@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tom Easterday) (12/06/88)

  We have puchased 6 Retix bridges for our department and will purchase
  more soon, we also recommend to other departments on campus looking
  for bridges that they purchase Retix's product.  We have had them in
  place for about 5-6 months and have not had a failure.  We did limited
  testing of throughput when we evaluated the bridge and they seem to
  handle the load as spec'd.  As far as management capablities go, we
  had a unit with the network management software implmented for
  evaluation.  It was nice except that our Proteon routers will not pass
  ISO protocols which the Retix uses in its net management software.  So
  we are not using the network management software (maybe someday...).
  The price is very deceiving ($16XX range in quantity), in my opinion
  definately a good value.

				 Tom Easterday
				 The Ohio State University
				 Instruction and Research Computer Center
				 (614) 292-4843

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (12/07/88)

In article <89@stanton.TCC.COM> donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:

>Peter (and others) the answers to your questions are:
>
>1)They (Retix bridges) are less expensive than DEC LANBRIDGE
>  units. Their capability is
>  100% when doing a black-box/learning bridge function.

I have no complaint with the claim of excellent price:performance
relative to DEC.  The Retix box is good hardware.  Users should be
aware, however, that DEC bridges run a spanning tree algorithm that
allows them to be wired up in an arbitrary topology including loops.
Some of the DEC bridges will place themselves in standby mode and
only activate themselves if one of the other bridges or links fails.
Retix bridges don't run a spanning tree alogrithm and if you
inadvertantly form a loop, you'll find out about it in a hurry. :+)

jim warner
u.c. santa cruz