[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP Implementations

eric@CS2.WSU.EDU (12/28/88)

Hi,
	Can any of you tell me what implementations exist for SLIP (Serial
Line IP)?  I am most interested in public-domain or REAL cheep commercial
packages.  I would also be interested in hearing any feelings you might
have if you are using any such implementation.  Thanks in Advance....

			Eric Schneider (eric@wsu.edu)

sadler@heurikon.UUCP (Jon Sadler) (12/29/88)

In <8812272129.AA16185@cs2.wsu.edu> eric@CS2.WSU.EDU writes:

>Hi,
>	Can any of you tell me what implementations exist for SLIP (Serial
>Line IP)?  I am most interested in public-domain or REAL cheep commercial
>packages.  I would also be interested in hearing any feelings you might
>have if you are using any such implementation.  Thanks in Advance....
>
>			Eric Schneider (eric@wsu.edu)

A package that is available for no cost to individuals and has been used quite
extensively is Phil Karn's KA9Q Internet Package.  This program incorporates
FTP, TELNET, and SMTP handling for IBM-PC's, Macintosh's, Amiga's, Atari ST's,
and UNIX hosts.  The code which comprises the package was written in with port-
ability in mind, and is quite easy to work with.

Currently, the code all exists in a single process -- running with a tight loop
to poll all sessions.  Since this is not ideal for multi-tasking systems, Phil
is re-writing the code, breaking it down into mulitple programs.  There will be
a socket front end allowing easy extension.  This code is not generally avail-
able yet.

The code is normally from three locations: anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu,
anonymous UUCP from winfree.UUCP, and lastly the HIP Shack BBS.  Unfortunatly,
winfree does not have the code on it at this time.  But a number of UUCP sites
have grabbed the sources and put them on line.

If you have any more questions on the KA9Q package, feel free to mail me.

Jonathan Sadler
Heurikon Corp.

--
BANG PATH:      ...rutgers!uwvax!heurikon!sadler   SNAIL: Jonathan Sadler
                ...rutgers!nucsrl!laidbak!sadler          Heurikon Corp.

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/29/88)

More or less in the order they became available (at least in the order I
heard of them):

Free (source form, KA9Q is "no commercial use"):
	4bsd SLIP by Rick Adams (various versions, requires kernel rebuild)
	KA9Q by Phil Karn (DOS and maybe other little workstations)
	PC-IP from MIT/CMU/Harvard, for DOS PCs only.

Commercial:
	FTP Software's PC/TCP (applications & development for DOS PCs)
	cisco's terminal concentrator/gateway (many ports on a server)
	Encore's Annex terminal concentrator (ditto)
	Spider Systems' SysV Unix (source for OEMs, maybe sold other ways)
	Sun's PC/NFS (apps & libraries, also add-in modules for SunOS hosts)

This is all I am aware of, as of this moment.  As far as I know, they all
interoperate (I know that we can talk to the 4bsd, cisco, Encore and Spider
implementations).  Some vendors have added dial-in capability, but the 4bsd
version doesn't have it.  RFC 1055 documents the basic protocol, and has
no mechanism for dynamic address assignment at startup (thus the need for
dial-up extensions).

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

In article <286@heurikon.UUCP> sadler@heurikon.UUCP (Jon Sadler) writes:

   In <8812272129.AA16185@cs2.wsu.edu> eric@CS2.WSU.EDU writes:

   >Hi,
   >	Can any of you tell me what implementations exist for SLIP (Serial
   >Line IP)?  I am most interested in public-domain or REAL cheep commercial
   >packages.  I would also be interested in hearing any feelings you might
   >have if you are using any such implementation.  Thanks in Advance....
   >
   >			Eric Schneider (eric@wsu.edu)

   A package that is available for no cost to individuals and has been
   used quite extensively is Phil Karn's KA9Q Internet Package.  ...
   ... Phil is re-writing the code, ... This code is not generally
   available yet.

   The code is normally from three locations: anonymous FTP from
   louie.udel.edu, ...

An ALPHA (Alpha meaning that it has God-only-knows how many bugs, and only
the most adventurous should try it) release of the *source* is on
louie.udel.edu.  Look in /pub/ka9q for nos.arc.  This source is only for
Aztec C.  I am working on adapting my Turbo C porting kit to this new version.
I'll post a notice here when it's ready.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
"I saved the whales!" - Rebecca L. Nelson, 3.5 years old, on receiving her