[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP-IP for an Altos 2086

jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) (01/08/89)

I have an Altos 2086 (currently running XENIX 3.4b with Worknet).  I
am looking at converting to running Ethernet, with TCP-IP, so I can
connect easier to a Sun network in-house.  Does anybody know if I can
get TCP-IP for the 2086 (Note this is not the Series 2000 style machine),
who from, and approximately how much this may cost?  I doubt I will
be able to get NFS support, but telnet/rlogin and ftp/rcp would be
sufficient.

Thanks,
	Jim
--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-2869
Anderson O'Brien, Inc		New mail:jim@aob.mn.org

root@lilink.UUCP (The Super User) (01/11/89)

In article <180@aob.aob.mn.org> jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) writes:
>I have an Altos 2086 (currently running XENIX 3.4b with Worknet).  I
>am looking at converting to running Ethernet, with TCP-IP, so I can

As far as I know Altos itself does not support TCP-IP on ANY of its machines.
Ditto for RFS. This includes 386/2000's of which we have 1. I have contacted
Altos on this and I have been getting "real soon now...." for the last several
months. However that is only for the 386/2000 box. If you have a
286 based box I think you are out in the cold (as I am).

Third party vendors may have  addressed this problem already but I have
found none. If anyone knows of such an implimentation for ANY Altos machine
I for one would like to hear from them.

--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator   {..!philabs!mergvax! | ..!uunet!ispi!} lilink!mikej

jkp@cs.hut.fi (Jyrki Kuoppala) (01/23/89)

In article <176@lilink.UUCP>, root@lilink (The Super User) writes:

>As far as I know Altos itself does not support TCP-IP on ANY of its machines.
>Ditto for RFS. This includes 386/2000's of which we have 1. I have contacted
>Altos on this and I have been getting "real soon now...." for the last several
>months. However that is only for the 386/2000 box. If you have a
>286 based box I think you are out in the cold (as I am).
>
>Third party vendors may have  addressed this problem already but I have
>found none. If anyone knows of such an implimentation for ANY Altos machine
>I for one would like to hear from them.

We have three Altos 3068 machines here running SVR2.2 with Excelan
Ethernet card and TCP/IP software.  We've been told that by Excelan
that the software was ported by Altos.  However, Altos doesn't support
the Excelan product anymore and we have been unable to get even the
unlinked device driver object files for the Excelan card.

As the 3068 is a Motorola-based system, I don't know if the Excelan
solution is available for intel-based systems.

The Excelan TCP/IP library isn't very compatible with anything (I've
heard that it resembles 4.1 BSD somewhat).  However, it should be
possible to make a library of your own which would be very much like
the BSD 4.3 socket library; there are no system calls involved, the
sockets are used as devices.  I have decompiled the socket() etc.
calls back to C, and the rhost() and the like should probably be
replaced with gethostbyname() from 4.3BSD.

If someone other still has these 3068 machines w/ Excelan still lying
around, we have at least finger server / client and the
open-network-stream function to emacs done here, which I could
probably put for anonymous ftp if someone's interested.

If someone from Altos is listening, we'd be very interested to have
the Excelan TCP/IP software device drivers so we could get a newer
kernel in use (we have source for a newer one, but we can't use it
'cause we don't have the unlinked drivers).

>Michael R. Johnston
>System Administrator   {..!philabs!mergvax! | ..!uunet!ispi!} lilink!mikej
>LILINK - Public Access Xenix   (516) 872-2137  1200/2400 8N1  Login: new
--
Jyrki Kuoppala    Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
Internet :        jkp@cs.hut.fi jkp%finhut.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu