[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP Security

kwilliam@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Karen Williams) (01/14/89)

I think that topic has been discussed here before, but . . .

Do the TCP/IP standards allow for encryption of data?  In other
words, can a data capture/analyzer see everything, or is there
some level of security provided for?

Thanks for the info!

			Karen Williams
			NCR, SE - Columbia
			kwilliam@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (01/15/89)

In article <207@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM>, kwilliam@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Karen Williams) writes:

> Do the TCP/IP standards allow for encryption of data?

There are no encryption provisions in the standard protocol suite at
the IP or TCP level.  It's possible to encrypt at the link level (i.e.,
the Blacker Front End), and of course at the application level.  See
RFC 1040 for some movement in that direction.

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (01/16/89)

Karen,

The TCP/IP standards allow for encryption at several levels.
At applications level (e.g. secure mail) and at any level above
IP. The gateways have to see the IP headers in the clear to
provide routing and type of service handling. TCP/IP nets are
also operated regularly with link encryption.

Vint Cerf

jallen@uxrd14.UUCP (Jon Allen) (01/24/89)

In article <207@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> kwilliam@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Karen Williams) writes:
>Do the TCP/IP standards allow for encryption of data?  In other
>words, can a data capture/analyzer see everything, or is there

The commercial versions that I have worked with do not do any encryptiong.
A LAN analyzer will see all (including passwords).  I work primarily with
the Wollongong and AT&T versions of TCP/IP.

Jon Allen
att!acpy01!jallen