[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] IP Encapsulation on HP 3000/9000 computers

ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) (02/03/89)

I have heard that HP's TCP/IP implementation, when sending over Ethernet,
uses IEEE802.3 data link format (i.e. packet length, SSAP and DSAP)
instead of Ethernet V2 format (i.e. protocol type) like most Unixes.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? Specifically, I need to know if one
can put an HP machine and one of our own boxes (which will only speak
Ethernet V2 format) on an Ethernet and have them communicate.

If the answer is that the HP box will only talk 802.3 format, can
someone suggest an inexpensive bridge/router/etc box that could translate
between the two?

Thank you in advance.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000

jdm@starfish.Convergent.COM (John McLean) (02/03/89)

From article <6402@blia.BLI.COM>, by ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall):

> I have heard that HP's TCP/IP implementation, when sending over Ethernet,
> uses IEEE802.3 data link format (i.e. packet length, SSAP and DSAP)
> instead of Ethernet V2 format (i.e. protocol type) like most Unixes.

This is correct; the encapsulation used by the HP's is IEEE802.3.
They also use PROBE for address resolution (instead of ARP).  In
addition, HP has their own set of user-level programs (instead of
TELNET and FTP).  I guess HP really did want to have it *their* own
way!

We have been able to get our UNIX hosts to communicate with a
HP3000/CLASSIC by doing the following:

	1. Purchasing a gateway server box from cisco.  This box
	   does the conversion from Ethernet 2.0 to IEEE802.3
	   encapsulation.  (The gateway server understands both
	   PROBE and ARP, however, we are currently operating
	   from manually-created IP-to-Ethernet address entries.)

	2. Purchasing the WIN/HP product from Wollongong.  This
	   package includes TELNET and FTP.  It runs on the
	   HP3000/CLASSIC model only.  (We also have two
	   HP3000/SPECTRUM systems; the WIN/HP product does not
	   run on these systems.)

All of our HP systems are on the same physical ethernet as the
UNIX hosts.  Of course, this means that all data from the UNIX
systems to the HP systems goes thru the net twice; the additional
overhead has not caused a problem yet.

John McLean			jdm@starfish.Convergent.COM
Systems Engineer
Convergent Technologies

---

JOHN@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (John Wright) (02/03/89)

Yes, it is my understanding that they need some sort of translator. The
company I work for makes a router device which also can act as a
802.3/V2 converter it supports both Probe & ARP. If you would like
more information we can send you something in the mail. Make a request
to 'customer-service@cisco.com', as I am about to leave town for a while.

John Wright
Customer Engineer
cisco Systems, Inc.
1350 Willow Rd
Menlo Park, CA 94205
(415) 326-1941
-------

slevy@UC.MSC.UMN.EDU ("Stuart Levy") (02/04/89)

For HP 9000's at least, you're not stuck with IEEE encapsulation --
it's a configurable option whether to use 802.3 or standard Ethernet
IP encapsulation.  We're using one right on our Ethernet, it interoperates
just fine.  I don't know about the HP 3000 series, though.

	Stuart Levy, Minnesota Supecomputer Center
	slevy@uc.msc.umn.edu

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (02/04/89)

*Yes, it is my understanding that they need some sort of translator. The
*company I work for makes a router device which also can act as a
*802.3/V2 converter it supports both Probe & ARP. If you would like
*more information we can send you something in the mail. Make a request
*to 'customer-service@cisco.com', as I am about to leave town for a while.

*John Wright
*cisco Systems, Inc.

i believe that only the 3000 is like this. i thought that the 9000
could speak this "special IP" to act as a gateway. i was also under the
impression that it wasnt even "real" ehternet based IP they were using,
they didnt use ARP or something.

i am sure someone from HP will set us all straight, though . . . .

stev knowles
ftp software

medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (02/04/89)

An even better solution is to throw away HP-UX, and run 4.3 BSD on your
9000 series.  Then you get full 4.3 networking code, and all the other things
4.3 gives you that HP-UX doesn't.  It works quite well, and you
can get from the folks at Utah.  Maybe one of them would like to send
out information on how to get the distribution.

Some people STILL don't understand that people buy Unix systems for
compatibility and portability.  Sigh...

					Thanks,
					   Milo

PS Standard disclaimers apply re: US Government, NASA, etc...  IE, this
should not be construed as an official position, but the you probably
realized that already.

kincl@KITZBUHL.IAG.HP.COM (Norman Kincl) (02/04/89)

HP9000 (UNIX systems) speak both 802.2 and Ethernet V2 encapsulation.  They can
communicate transparently with either protocol.  Nothing special is required to
make this work.

HP3000 (MPE systems) currently only speak 802.2 encapsulation.  A cisco box can
translate from this to Ethernet encapsulation.

-Norm Kincl
 Information Architecture Group
 Hewlett-Packard

mah@hpuviea.UUCP (Michael Haberler) (02/06/89)

From article <6402@blia.BLI.COM>, by ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall):

> I have heard that HP's TCP/IP implementation, when sending over Ethernet,
> uses IEEE802.3 data link format (i.e. packet length, SSAP and DSAP)
> instead of Ethernet V2 format (i.e. protocol type) like most Unixes.
  ^^^^^^^^^^ replace by 'and'.

All HP 9000 series 300 and 800 talk both. The HP 3000 series currently only
speak IEEE802.3.

> Can anyone confirm or deny this? Specifically, I need to know if one
> can put an HP machine and one of our own boxes (which will only speak
> Ethernet V2 format) on an Ethernet and have them communicate.

You wont have any problems with the default setup, which is to talk both
protocols concurrently.

-michael
--
Michael Haberler		mah@hpuviea.uucp
Hewlett-Packard Austria GmbH, 	...mcvax!tuvie!hpuviea!mah

wunder@HP-SDE.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (02/07/89)

OK, here is the real story.  I work for HP, and this information is
from recent printed information announcing new products.

Up to now, the HP3000 has only used 802.3 encapsulation with the old
IP-over-802.3 standard.  This was done in the naive expectation that
an official standard was the right way to go.

Anyway, with the V-Delta-5 release of MPE for the "classic" HP3000,
Ethernet and ARP are supported.  It has TCP/IP of course, and there
are two sets of services available: the NS services, which are HP
proprietary and tweaked for the 3000 (sort of like STRU VMS, but not
based on FTP), avalable from HP; and regular ARPA services (Telnet,
FTP, and SMTP), available from The Wollongong Group.  The HP3000 can
also talk IP over X.25 links, but I'm not sure of the exact
encapsulation for that.  The HP3000 does not have UDP.

The Precsion Architecture HP3000 (OS is MPE/XL, machines are
HP3000/935, HP3000/950, etc.) has TCP/IP and the NS services, but does
not have ARPA services or Ethernet/ARP.  Ethernet/ARP is promised,
though I don't know which release, and I don't know whether we have
promised ARPA services.

The HP9000 (Unix) systems, both Motorola and Precision Architecture
(aka "Spectrum") have ARPA, Berkeley, and NS services; TCP/IP;
Ethernet and 802.3 (old); IP-over-X.25 (DDN, I think, s800 only?); and
soon, Jacobson/Karels TCP, BIND (supported), and probably other stuff.

The HP1000 has TCP/IP, NS services, and 802.3 (old).

We resell FTP Software, Inc.'s PC/FTP for the HP Vectra PC's as PC/ARPA.

I don't know whether 802.3/SNAP is planned for any of our systems.

Clear?

Walter Underwood
HP Software Engineering Systems

PS:  I think that the Wollongong product for the HP3000 is called
WIN/H3000 (is that right, Dave?).  Also, the HP3000 *always* talks
half-duplex to its terminals, so client Telnet can be aggravating if
you are talking to a full-duplex application.

klaas@hpindda.HP.COM (Darin J Klaas) (02/07/89)

/ hpindda:comp.protocols.tcp-ip / stev@VAX.FTP.COM / 10:11 am  Feb  3, 1989 /

> i believe that only the 3000 is like this. i thought that the 9000
> could speak this "special IP" to act as a gateway. i was also under the
> impression that it wasnt even "real" ehternet based IP they were using,
> they didnt use ARP or something.

> i am sure someone from HP will set us all straight, though . . . .

> stev knowles
> ftp software
> ----------

To rescue HP's reputation ... (:-)

The Series 9000's can talk either ethernet or 803.3; its a configurable
on a per interface basis.  The ethernet is standard ethernet, nothing
special.  You can even configure it to talk both on the same interface.
Beware that currently HP-UX will prefer to talk 802.3 over ethernet if
given the choice.

The series 3000's are a different story; they talk 802.3 exclusively,
although I've heard that straight ARP and ethernet are coming to
a MPE system near you soon.

In either case, if you wish to talk 802.3 to an HP machine, you must use
HP's proprietary address resolution protocol, Probe ; ethernet uses ARP.

/ hpindda:comp.protocols.tcp-ip / medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) / 11:03 am  Feb  3, 1989 /

> An even better solution is to throw away HP-UX, and run 4.3 BSD on your
> 9000 series.  Then you get full 4.3 networking code, and all the other things
> 4.3 gives you that HP-UX doesn't.  It works quite well, and you
> can get from the folks at Utah.  Maybe one of them would like to send
> out information on how to get the distribution.
>
> Some people STILL don't understand that people buy Unix systems for
> compatibility and portability.  Sigh...
>
>					Thanks,
>					  Milo

We've heard this over and over again, and we are working toward a resolution.
Many people at HP DO realize that compatability is of utmost importance.
Stay tuned ...

-- darin klaas
   klaas@hpda

dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) (02/08/89)

In article <8902061939.AA26324@hp-ses.sde.hp.com>, wunder@HP-SDE.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

> Walter Underwood
> HP Software Engineering Systems
>
> PS:  I think that the Wollongong product for the HP3000 is called
> WIN/H3000 (is that right, Dave?).  Also, the HP3000 *always* talks
> half-duplex to its terminals, so client Telnet can be aggravating if
> you are talking to a full-duplex application.

The product is called WIN/TCP for MPE/V. Release 1.1 is available and
this includes block mode support through our telnet server.

The half-duplex communication in character mode is certainly not the best
of circumstances and it is for this reason that the 3000 telnet client
comes up in line mode.

danielle bercel
Project leader, WIN/TCP for MPE/V

--
Danielle Bercel - Senior Software Engineer - The Wollongong Group
Email:   dbercel@twg-ap.com or dbercel@twg.com

kincl@hpiag2.iag.hp.com (Norman Kincl) (02/08/89)

> HP3000 (MPE systems) currently only speak 802.2 encapsulation.  A cisco box can
                       ^^^^^^^^^
> translate from this to Ethernet encapsulation.

A correction---as of version V-Delta-5, MPE-V supports BOTH 802.3 and standard
Ethernet encapsulation.  This includes ARP.  As with the HP 9000, it is
transparent to botht he user and the system administrator which protocol is
being used.  For MPE-XL, Ethernet compatability is a stated direction, the
schedule is under investigation.