[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] first release of IMAP software

mrc@TOMOBIKI-CHO.CAC.WASHINGTON.EDU (Mark Crispin) (02/01/89)

The IMAP software is now ready for distribution from SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
(internet address [36.44.0.6]).  The IMAP distribution is available by
anonymous FTP from SUMEX as imap/imap.tar.Z .  So, the following commands on
your favorite Unix should snarf things:
	% ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu
	Name: anonymous
	Password: foo
	ftp> binary
	ftp> cd imap
	ftp> get imap.tar.Z
	ftp> quit
	% uncompress imap.tar.Z
	% tar -xf imap.tar

You should take a look at imap/README before doing anything.  If you connect
to imap and do a "make" it should build all the software.  The two most
important binaries built by "make" will be imap/clients/ms/ms and
imap/servers/imapd/imapd.

Please report any problems to Mark Crispin at mrc@Blake.ACS.Washington.EDU and
to Bill Yeager at yeager@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.

-------

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/09/89)

mrc@TOMOBIKI-CHO.CAC.WASHINGTON.EDU (Mark Crispin) writes:
> The IMAP software is now ready for distribution from SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
> (internet address [36.44.0.6]).

	Several problems.  First, when I did "ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu" I
got connected to sumex-2060.stanford.edu.  I can't seem to reproduce it, so
maybe it was some transient nameserver problem?  But, the real point of
this message is to remind people that when they announce the availability
of software, it would be a good idea to give some idea of what it was.  I
havn't the foggiest idea what IMAP is and there isn't even a READ-ME file
that I can ftp; to figure out if I want it I have to pull the whole 365
kbyte compressed tar file from one coast to the other.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute