[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NSFNET Fuzzbone statistics

Mills@UDEL.EDU (02/12/89)

Folks,

Intrepid archeologist Mike Davis sifted through his many megarocks of data
collected on the old NSFNET Fuzzbone and came up with the enclosed PostScript
graph, which shows the net gazinta and net gazouta traffic by week from the
birth to the death of that network. We are most fascinated by the discontinuity
near October 1987 for which no data seems to exist. In that month I made
many changes designed to improve the congestion management and routing
robustness. At the time some of you and including me wondered whether the
results justified the effort and intrusion on paying customers. From the graph
one might conclude (a) the changes worked and the peak prior to the changes
represented congestive retransmissions, (b) customers got disgusted and simply
walked away or (c) an artifact in the measurement and collection process messed
up the data. One might also conclude there is insufficient data to justify
any conclusion, so you can understand why the missing data are driving us
absolutely nuts. If anybody can come up with the missing data sloshing around
the various archives, we would truly love you a lot.

Dave

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Thu, 9 Feb 89 15:52:30 EST
From:     davis@UDEL.EDU
To:       mills@UDEL.EDU

0 setgray 1 setlinecap
90 rotate 0 -576 translate .12 .12 scale
4 setlinewidth
/hfnt /Helvetica-Bold findfont 100 scalefont def
/vfnt hfnt [0 1 -1 0 0 0] makefont def
/setfnt { dup /curfnt exch def setfont } def
hfnt setfnt
/txt {show} def
/ctxt {dup stringwidth 2 div neg exch 2 div neg exch rmoveto show} def
/rtxt {dup stringwidth neg exch neg exch rmoveto show} def
/setlinetype {
     dup 1 eq { [] 0 setdash } if
     dup 2 eq { [150] 0 setdash } if
     dup 3 eq { [75] 0 setdash } if
     dup 4 eq { [150 75] 0 setdash } if
     dup 5 eq { [100 75 25 75] 0 setdash } if
     pop } def
/stxt {dup 0 get 42 eq {0 -30 rmoveto} if ctxt} def
/txtrotate {
  dup 0 eq
    {pop hfnt}
    {dup 90 eq
      {pop vfnt}
      {matrix identmatrix rotate hfnt exch makefont}
    ifelse}
  ifelse setfnt } def
/txtscale {curfnt exch scalefont setfont} def

688 495 moveto
740 487 lineto
792 580 lineto
844 539 lineto
896 580 lineto
948 471 lineto
1000 469 lineto
stroke 1103 464 moveto
1155 479 lineto
1207 577 lineto
1259 666 lineto
1311 774 lineto
1363 872 lineto
1415 590 lineto
1467 644 lineto
1519 765 lineto
1571 772 lineto
1623 803 lineto
1675 836 lineto
1726 571 lineto
1778 858 lineto
1830 999 lineto
1882 931 lineto
1934 1014 lineto
1986 942 lineto
2038 807 lineto
2090 1092 lineto
2142 1233 lineto
stroke 2246 1396 moveto
2298 1298 lineto
2349 1339 lineto
2401 1327 lineto
2453 1494 lineto
2505 1603 lineto
stroke 2609 1719 moveto
2661 1703 lineto
2713 1921 lineto
2765 2452 lineto
2817 2359 lineto
2869 2036 lineto
2921 2018 lineto
2972 1993 lineto
3024 1946 lineto
3076 2217 lineto
3128 2103 lineto
3180 2538 lineto
3232 2113 lineto
3284 2134 lineto
3336 2490 lineto
3388 2594 lineto
stroke 3543 1923 moveto
3595 1986 lineto
3647 2252 lineto
3699 2377 lineto
3751 2308 lineto
3803 2189 lineto
3855 2098 lineto
3907 1936 lineto
3959 2007 lineto
4011 2271 lineto
4063 2316 lineto
4115 2035 lineto
4166 2078 lineto
4218 2363 lineto
4270 2786 lineto
4322 2549 lineto
4374 2559 lineto
4426 2624 lineto
4478 2917 lineto
4530 3064 lineto
4582 3091 lineto
4634 3137 lineto
4686 3242 lineto
4738 3235 lineto
4789 3288 lineto
4841 3380 lineto
4893 3462 lineto
4945 3807 lineto
4997 3661 lineto
5049 3612 lineto
5101 3614 lineto
5153 3751 lineto
5205 3261 lineto
5257 3534 lineto
5309 3203 lineto
5361 3135 lineto
5412 2941 lineto
5464 2863 lineto
5516 2642 lineto
5568 1459 lineto
5620 907 lineto
currentpoint stroke moveto
1.5 txtscale 3232 4389 moveto (Ethernet In/Out) ctxt
1 txtscale 3232 49 moveto (Comparison of Input/Ouput packets summed over all nodes) ctxt
3232 131 moveto (Julian Weeks \(2447420 -> 2448085\)) ctxt
90 txtrotate 349 2291 moveto (# Packets) ctxt
636 418 moveto
636 493 lineto
stroke 1155 418 moveto
1155 493 lineto
stroke 1675 418 moveto
1675 493 lineto
stroke 2194 418 moveto
2194 493 lineto
stroke 2713 418 moveto
2713 493 lineto
stroke 3232 418 moveto
3232 493 lineto
stroke 3751 418 moveto
3751 493 lineto
stroke 4270 418 moveto
4270 493 lineto
stroke 4789 418 moveto
4789 493 lineto
stroke 5309 418 moveto
5309 493 lineto
stroke 5828 418 moveto
5828 493 lineto
stroke 636 418 moveto
5828 418 lineto
currentpoint stroke moveto
0 txtrotate 636 295 moveto (0) ctxt
1155 295 moveto (10) ctxt
1675 295 moveto (20) ctxt
2194 295 moveto (30) ctxt
2713 295 moveto (40) ctxt
3232 295 moveto (50) ctxt
3751 295 moveto (60) ctxt
4270 295 moveto (70) ctxt
4789 295 moveto (80) ctxt
5309 295 moveto (90) ctxt
5828 295 moveto (100) ctxt
636 418 moveto
711 418 lineto
stroke 636 1042 moveto
711 1042 lineto
stroke 636 1667 moveto
711 1667 lineto
stroke 636 2291 moveto
711 2291 lineto
stroke 636 2915 moveto
711 2915 lineto
stroke 636 3540 moveto
711 3540 lineto
stroke 636 4164 moveto
711 4164 lineto
stroke 636 418 moveto
636 4164 lineto
currentpoint stroke moveto
90 txtrotate 513 418 moveto (0) ctxt
595 418 moveto (e0) ctxt
513 1042 moveto (5.0) ctxt
595 1042 moveto (e6) ctxt
513 1667 moveto (1.0) ctxt
595 1667 moveto (e7) ctxt
513 2291 moveto (1.5) ctxt
595 2291 moveto (e7) ctxt
513 2915 moveto (2.0) ctxt
595 2915 moveto (e7) ctxt
513 3540 moveto (2.5) ctxt
595 3540 moveto (e7) ctxt
513 4164 moveto (3.0) ctxt
595 4164 moveto (e7) ctxt
636 4164 moveto
636 418 lineto
5828 418 lineto
5828 4164 lineto
636 4164 lineto
stroke 688 487 moveto
740 465 lineto
792 509 lineto
844 494 lineto
896 531 lineto
948 451 lineto
1000 464 lineto
stroke 1103 475 moveto
1155 459 lineto
1207 533 lineto
1259 600 lineto
1311 683 lineto
1363 687 lineto
1415 610 lineto
1467 587 lineto
1519 683 lineto
1571 685 lineto
1623 729 lineto
1675 803 lineto
1726 548 lineto
1778 815 lineto
1830 882 lineto
1882 818 lineto
1934 1014 lineto
1986 942 lineto
2038 807 lineto
2090 1092 lineto
2142 1233 lineto
stroke 2246 1396 moveto
2298 1298 lineto
2349 1339 lineto
2401 1327 lineto
2453 1494 lineto
2505 1603 lineto
stroke 2609 1719 moveto
2661 1762 lineto
2713 1936 lineto
2765 2676 lineto
2817 2443 lineto
2869 2122 lineto
2921 2111 lineto
2972 2014 lineto
3024 1942 lineto
3076 2233 lineto
3128 2170 lineto
3180 2498 lineto
3232 2371 lineto
3284 2304 lineto
3336 2505 lineto
3388 2583 lineto
stroke 3543 1808 moveto
3595 1926 lineto
3647 2144 lineto
3699 2133 lineto
3751 2157 lineto
3803 2057 lineto
3855 1927 lineto
3907 1747 lineto
3959 1903 lineto
4011 2245 lineto
4063 2054 lineto
4115 1888 lineto
4166 1994 lineto
4218 2111 lineto
4270 2525 lineto
4322 2367 lineto
4374 2352 lineto
4426 2600 lineto
4478 2859 lineto
4530 2924 lineto
4582 2998 lineto
4634 3052 lineto
4686 3185 lineto
4738 3227 lineto
4789 3425 lineto
4841 3361 lineto
4893 3475 lineto
4945 3560 lineto
4997 3620 lineto
5049 3530 lineto
5101 3500 lineto
5153 3773 lineto
5205 3326 lineto
5257 3477 lineto
5309 3506 lineto
5361 3343 lineto
5412 3099 lineto
5464 2731 lineto
5516 2652 lineto
5568 1484 lineto
5620 751 lineto
currentpoint stroke moveto
gsave showpage grestore newpath 0 0 moveto

----- End of forwarded messages