[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Ethernet Addresses?

matthews@alux2.ATT.COM (John Matthews) (03/15/89)

Can someone tell me if there is some sort of list that says what
manufacturer uses what ethernet addresses?  I have noticed that
for the most part all suns have a leading 8:0:20:?:?:? and that
other machines do the same.  What I am looking for is a list that
will give some indication as to what type of machine it might be
by just looking at the ethernet address.
				Thanks,
					John Matthews
					matthews@research.att.com

pvo1478@neptune.uucp (Paul O'Neill) (03/15/89)

In article <234@alux2.ATT.COM> Matthews@Research.ATT.COM (John Matthews) writes:

>Can someone tell me if there is some sort of list that says what
>manufacturer uses what ethernet addresses? ................

    ftp pprg.unm.edu
    get pub/rfc/ethernet_vendor_addrs

It's dated 6/18/88 and has 45 entries.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

SOL@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Sol Lederman) (03/16/89)

John,

The IEEE Standards Office, the folks who sell the Ethernet vendor codes
(leading 24 bits of address) won't distribute any list of codes. What they
are willing to do is if you give them a number they'll tell you if the
number is registered (it's supposed to be in all cases) and they will
contact the manufacturer and only if the manufacturer agrees to be identified
will IEEE let the two of you communicate. Apparently enough manufacturers
value their privacy.

Some folks on this list have their own lists of numbers they've been able to
identify without IEEE help. Hopefully somebody will email you a copy.

Let me know if you want a contact at IEEE Standards.

Sol
-------

beau@ultra.UUCP (Beau James {Manager-SW Development-Ultra Network Tech.}) (03/16/89)

	Can someone tell me if there is some sort of list that says what
	manufacturer uses what ethernet addresses?  I have noticed that
	for the most part all suns have a leading 8:0:20:?:?:? and that
	other machines do the same.  What I am looking for is a list that
	will give some indication as to what type of machine it might be
	by just looking at the ethernet address.

The official list is maintained by Xerox.  Every vendor who makes
Ethernet interfaces is supposed to apply to Xerox for a range of
Ethernet numbers, which the vendor then assigns uniquely to each
new controller built.  If everyone follows the rules, then all
Ethernet addresses will be unique.

Unfortunately, some systems assign the Ethernet address in software,
or allow you to override the Ethernet address assigned to the
controller.  So global uniqueness is not guaranteed in practice,
even when the vendors followed the rules.

I don't know the contact address at Xerox, but the information
is included in the DEC-Intel-Xerox Ethernet spec documents, if
you can locate one of those.

Beau James					beau@ultra.COM
Ultra Network Technologies