[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Broken SMTP daemon @ WPAFB-FDL.ARPA

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (03/14/89)

Someone call the protocol police!

	Script started on Mon Mar 13 16:45:18 1989
	You have mail.
	| 1 - s:david --> telnet wpafb-fdl.arpa smtp
	Trying...
	Connected to wpafb-fdl.arpa.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	220 HYPER-LINK VAX/VMS Simple Mail Transfer Service ready.
	helo e.ms.uky.edu
----->	501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments.
	mail from:<david@ms.uky.edu>
	250 Requested mail action okay, completed.
	rcpt to:<edwardsrl@wpafb-fdl.arpa>
	250 Requested mail action okay, completed.
	data
	354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>.
	From: david@ms.uky.edu
	To: edwardsrl@wpafl-fdl.arpa
	Subject: test

	I'm demonstrating to comp.protocols.tcp-ip that your mailer is broken.
	.
	250 Requested mail action okay, completed.
	quit
	221 HYPER-LINK VAX/VMS Service closing transmission channel.
	Connection closed by foreign host.
	| 2 - s:david -->
	script done on Mon Mar 13 16:47:07 1989

The marked line is in error.  I just checked in RFC-821 to make certain
and it says in section 4.1.1 that the HELO command and an affirmative
reply are necessary to ensure that both mailers are in sync.

Further in section 4.3 in the COMMAND-REPLY SEQUENCES, the only
allowable "Success" reply is a "250", "501" is an "Error" reply.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

brunner@CACFS.ARMY.MIL (Thomas Eric Brunner) (03/15/89)

David,
	Don't take this too seriously, the nic's smtp service, which
advises that one not worry and be happy views an unargumentative "helo"
similarly:
	220-SRI-NIC.ARPA SMTP Service 6.1 at Tue, 14 Mar 89 08:52:36 PST
	220 Don't Worry.
	helo
	500 Missing required argument: helo
as does, of course, a.isi.edu... For all I know this is a feature of TOPS-20,
as both of these two hosts are DEC-20s running TOPS-20, and version 6.1 of
their SMTP implementation, emulated on VMS hosts :-).

Eric
P.S.	Ignore bogus return address, fixing mailer,
	use brunner@spam.istc.sri.com for best results

mrc@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crispin) (03/16/89)

I wrote the TOPS-20 SMTP server.  I think that ISI and GUNTER-ADAM run their
own homebrew server, but all other 20's run mine.  Some, such as the NIC, have
hacked their servers; the "Don't Worry." was originally "Please report any
problems to Bug-MAISER@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL." ...

At the time I wrote it (1982) I endeavored to make it conform to the standards
as published in RFC-821.  I also believed in thorough syntax checking.  I was
already warned that some Unix systems used a bogus form of A-D-L:
	<@foo:@bar:rag@zap>
instead of the correct
	<@foo,@bar:rag@zap>
and that many omitted the "@zap" part as well if "zap" .eq. server-host.  I
made allowances for these external bugs.  However, I believed that this did
not imply license for new SMTP clients to violate SMTP in other ways.  So, I
require a HELO before a MAIL, a MAIL before a RCPT, and a RCPT before a DATA.
I also check the argument for the HELO, but no HELO is ever rejected unless
the argument is missing (a client bug), syntactically bad (a client bug), or
it the argument equals the local name and the connection isn't coming from the
local host (a client and/or network "mirroring" bug, the latter being quite
common in NCP days).

My worst "crime" in all of this was my firm insistance that a NEWLINE that
ended an SMTP command was a CR followed immediately by a LF.  No bare CR's,
bare LF's, LFCR's, CR NUL's, etc. etc. need apply.  About once a month, I get
a message from some guy *insisting* that my server is broken, and it turns out
he's sending bare LF's for newlines because his sendmail.cf is broken.

How do I feel today?  I don't care.  Nobody seems to care whether or not the
protocols conform to specifications as long as they interoperate (which, I
guess, is the bottom line) so everybody just makes allowances for the zillions
of new bugs except for stubborn twerps like me who don't want to be bothered
to remove all my own syntax checking code and just tell the guys "it's your
bug, fix your client!!"  Then, when things like an Internet Worm hit, we're
unaffected and happily networking until they take down the net on us......

:-)

-- Mark --

-------