[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Slip support for Sun 386 Sun OS 4.01

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (03/11/89)

In article <8903060609.AA21488@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> bkc@OMNIGATE.CLARKSON.EDU (Brad Clements) writes:
>Has anyone gotten slip to work with Sun OS 4.01 (object only) on a 386i
>machine (or any other Sun machine under OS 4.01)?
>
>I'm all set to add the slip package that was posted to USENET at the end
>of last year, only there is no  tty_conf.c file on my system.
>
>Does anyone know how to go about adding the slip discipline into the tty
>driver without having source?  Or do I have to make slip a real pseudo
>device (with its own major and minor) and change slattach to access
>the device directly?  Can that even be done?

In SunOS 4.0 et seq, the TTY driver is Streams-based. (I think I'm
supposed to capitalize that "Streams", or maybe it should be "streams"
or "STREAMS". Oh, well...) This means that SLIP has to be rewritten as
a Streams module, and "slattach" has to push (and eventually pop)
it. It's planned for the next release of PC-NFS (no date yet). Note
that Sun only officially endorses SLIP for PC-to-Sun (or whatever)
connectivity.

Roll on PPP....

--
Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: garnold@sun.com
Manager, PC-NFS Engineering                UUCP: ....!sun!garnold

larry@hcr.UUCP (Larry Philps) (03/21/89)

In article <469@eagle_snax.UUCP> geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP (Geoff Arnold @ Sun ECD - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>In article <8903060609.AA21488@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> bkc@OMNIGATE.CLARKSON.EDU (Brad Clements) writes:
>>Has anyone gotten slip to work with Sun OS 4.01 (object only) on a 386i
>>machine (or any other Sun machine under OS 4.01)?

>In SunOS 4.0 et seq, the TTY driver is Streams-based. (I think I'm
>supposed to capitalize that "Streams", or maybe it should be "streams"
>or "STREAMS". Oh, well...) This means that SLIP has to be rewritten as
>a Streams module, and "slattach" has to push (and eventually pop)
>it. It's planned for the next release of PC-NFS (no date yet). Note
>that Sun only officially endorses SLIP for PC-to-Sun (or whatever)
>connectivity.

This has already been done by Rayan Zachariassen at the U of Toronto for
SunOS 4.0.  It is available for anonymous ftp from neat.ai.toronto.edu
(128.100.1.65).  I don't remember what the name of the file(s) are.  There is
lots of stuff in that pub directory.  Its availability was announced in the
comp.archives group.

ron@MANTA.NOSC.MIL (Ron Broersma) (03/30/89)

> This has already been done by Rayan Zachariassen at the U of Toronto for
> SunOS 4.0.  It is available for anonymous ftp from neat.ai.toronto.edu
> (128.100.1.65).  I don't remember what the name of the file(s) are.  There is
> lots of stuff in that pub directory.  Its availability was announced in the
> comp.archives group.

Has anyone seen this stuff work on a 386i?  I tried it and it seems to drop
in easy enough but I can't make it talk.  Turning on the internal debug
shows lots of M_UNHANGUP messages from the driver.  I'm not sure how that
gets generated.  It seems to be an undocumented feature of the driver.

--Ron