[net.jobs] UNIX/C Software Programmer

attisswd@uokvax.UUCP (11/27/85)

		ITEC Laboratories is the software development arm
	for ITEC Inc., which is a leader in the design and manu-
	facture of telephone switching systems. Continuous research
	and development expansion of its product line has created
	additional openings of UNIX/C design engineers.

		Position: Software Design Engineer

		Department: Software Engineering

		Overall Function: Design, code, test, implement,
			analyze and correct complete subsystems
			using established engineering techinques
			to meet existing and new technical requirements
			for product software.

		Requirements: A BSCS or BSEE degree and/or minimum
			of four years of related work experience is
			a must. Experience in telecommunication and
			switching is desirable. Knowledge of C and
			the UNIX operating system is HIGHLY desirable.

		Replies fitting the generalized job description
	may be mailed to:
		Stephen W. Dickson
		{ucbvax,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!sun!{,texsun!itec3}!steve
		{ut-sally,rice,convex,sohio,ctvax,smu}!texsun!itec3!steve
		{okstate,ctvax}!uokvax!texsun!itec3!steve
		or
		John Roemer
		Itec Laboratories
		300 Municipal Dr.
		Richardson, Tx 75085-1145

gary@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gary Samad) (12/07/85)

<>

Has anyone out there ever heard of a Hardware Programmer?

This is one redundancy that is showing up in the press a lot these
days and really irritates me!

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (12/09/85)

In article <654@mit-eddie.UUCP> gary@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gary Samad) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever heard of a Hardware Programmer?
>
>This is one redundancy that is showing up in the press a lot these
>days and really irritates me!

Yes, and there is even a reason for the term.  A <generic> Programmer
in a detailed job description works in a relatively high-level language.
I say 'relatively' because in the job I am in anything above microcode
is 'high-level'.  A Firmware Programmer writes microcode and works directly
and/or indirectly with the actual hardware designers (and hardware itself)
-- my group here is actually officially titled the "Firmware Development Group"
for that reason.

A Hardware Programmer generally refers to someone who burns PROMs, possibly
writes microcode (overlap with Firmware here), or (in some weird cases) a
person who does the heavy-duty state-machine chip/gate-array CAD while
dabbling as little as possible in the "real" world of physical design,
packaging, etc.  I've only seen the latter usage once, however, and I
choose to think it was a writeo or a thinko, since I've always heard
those folks described as either "designers" or "hardware type-of-guys".

;-)

Sorry for the non-job posting, but hopefully if terms like "firmware"
are more widely understood and used we'll get away from these generic
job descriptions that say "Write programs to help our company make more
money".
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

rdp@teddy.UUCP (12/09/85)

In article <654@mit-eddie.UUCP> gary@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gary Samad) writes:
><>
>
>Has anyone out there ever heard of a Hardware Programmer?
>
>This is one redundancy that is showing up in the press a lot these
>days and really irritates me!

Sure! I'm one of them!

Back in my days as a tech at Northeastern University, I was often called
upon to "program" the two large analog computers that we had. Programming
consisted of setting wires up in a plug-board matrix to tell the whole
machine what intergrators were connected to whom and when, etc., etc.

T'weren't no "software" in these things, but the sure were programmable.

(How about the guys who set up mechanical sequencers and the like?)

Dick (more tolerant of what turns out to be reasonable English than
      some people seem to be) Pierce

dave@rocksvax.FUN (Dave Sewhuk) (12/10/85)

/* rocksvax:net.jobs / gary@mit-eddie.UUCP (Gary Samad) / 10:26 pm  Dec  6, 1985 */
>Has anyone out there ever heard of a Hardware Programmer?

I like to consider what I do hardware programming.  VLSI designers and people
that use PALs would fall under that category.

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {ihnp4,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave
ns: "Sewhuk:HENR801C:Xerox".ns@Xerox.ARPA