[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] MS-DOS TCP/IP

mrc@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crispin) (04/06/89)

Hi -

     I am porting an IMAP2 (RFC 1064) client from Unix to MS-DOS.  I need to
have a good TCP under it.  As the client routines are portable (even to
TOPS-20!!) I'm not tied to sockets or streams or JFN's :-) in any way; there's
a jacket layer between how my client talks TCP and the actual TCP for this
system.

     I've heard n different stories about which TCP is "best".  Here are my
preferences, and I'd appreciate some guidelines:
 . public domain w/ sources.  Not essential but it would make my job a LOT
   easier.
 . SLIP support over COM1.  One of the desired goals is to be able to take a
   Toshiba laptop, dial up, and start mail hacking.
 . domain support.  Not super-critical but nice to have.
 . a TCP library package that I can link in with my application with a halfway
   reasonable set of calling conventions.

     The leading condenders seem to be KA9Q and NCSA.  Can anyone give me any
reasonable comments to help me pick which one that I can justify to my
management?  This is a secondary task for me (albeit an important one) and I
would rather not have to go through a lengthy evaluation process on my own.

-- Mark --

-------

clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) (04/06/89)

In article <MS-C.607804220.377401575.mrc@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
mrc@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crispin) writes:

>     I've heard n different stories about which TCP is "best".  Here are my
>preferences, and I'd appreciate some guidelines:
> . public domain w/ sources.
>     The leading condenders seem to be KA9Q and NCSA.
>-- Mark --

At the risk of being tediously pedantic and repetitive, the KA9Q
package is NOT public domain.  It's copyrighted but freely
copyable for non-commercial use.  (Phil has made arrangements for
commercial use in some cases, which I point out because I'm sure
he wouldn't use the net himself to advertise.)

/Rcc