[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Read Receipts & Return Receipts in E-mail

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/06/89)

Some people using MMDF are wanting to implement some sort of features
for returning indicators for when mail is delivered and/or read.
There are good reasons for wanting to do this, and I'm interested
in implementing the "when mail is delivered" version at least.

I know already that we're treading beyond area charted in the standards
and so must rely on de-facto standards.

So -- what are all of the ways people know of for implementing things
of this nature in e-mail?

Off the top of my head ..

	SendMail	supports (only in some versions?) a Return-Receipt-To:
			header line which takes an address(es?) to send
			delivery notification.

	Some BITNET mailer	uses an Acknowledge-To: line at the end
			of the body of the message for some unknown purpose.

	ALL-IN-1	Does something of this sort but I don't know what.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

ddeutsch@BBN.COM (Debbie Deutsch) (04/06/89)

X.400 supports delivery notifications and return-receipts.

Debbie Deutsch

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/07/89)

In article <11428@s.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> Some people using MMDF are wanting to implement some sort of features
> for returning indicators for when mail is delivered and/or read.
> There are good reasons for wanting to do this, and I'm interested
> in implementing the "when mail is delivered" version at least.

It is probably true that any type of "tell me when/if they read it" feature
would have to be implemented in the MUA's (perhaps a new feature for Elm 2.3).
This feature is something I would also be interested in.

"Return notice on delivery" is/should be implemented in the MDA, but as you
said, not all systems support that, and even when they do support it, the
text of the message you get back is not consistent.

James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***