[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP Problems on a Data General MV/10000

paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) (04/06/89)

I am not sure this is the correct place to post this so any suggestions of
other appropriate news-groups would be appretiated.

I am the system manager for an MV10000 running AOS/VS 6.01 and AOS/VS Internet
software (TCP/IP, TELNET and FTP).  We had a small local network consisting of
7 Sun systems, 5 Vax/Unix systems, 2 Vax/VMS Systems, several PC's with telnet
software, and a Multiflow Trace (UNIX) system.  In this configuration,
everything works Ok, the MV10000 can talk to these systems (except the VMS
ones, of course) and can be connected to from these systems.  When we added
a bridge to the Internet (essentially a repeater), the MV systems TCP/IP,
TELNET and FTP all quit working.  The only traffic we see through the bridge
are IP, ARP, RARP, and ICMP.  Broadcast packets are filtered out by the
bridge as are other protocols (Decnet, XNS, etc...).  All of the other systems
in our network work just fine on  the Internet.

Can anyone provied any suggestions as to what the problem might be ?  Any and
all ideas are welcome ! (Please !)

One note - The Data General TCP/IP software has very little in the way of
configuration setup - I can set host ID's and gateway routes but have no
control over broadcast packets, arp, or other "normal" things that
can be controlled in most Unix systems.

Once again - I am desperate for a solution, so any ideas are welcome.

P. Allen Jensen
jensen@gt-eedsp.gatech.edu
gatech!gt-eedsp!jensen
--
P. Allen Jensen
DSP Laboratory, Electrical Engineering

d.jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (04/07/89)

paj@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen) writes:

>I am not sure this is the correct place to post this so any suggestions of
>other appropriate news-groups would be appretiated.

How about comp.os.aos ?

>One note - The Data General TCP/IP software has very little in the way of
>configuration setup - I can set host ID's and gateway routes but have no
>control over broadcast packets, arp, or other "normal" things that
>can be controlled in most Unix systems.

So true - and the manuals doesn't say much either.

Jan Bruun Andersen
Computer Science Department, Roskilde University Center
e-mail: d.jba@meza.ruc.dk