[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Van Jacobson's improved TCP code

mark@alias.UUCP (Mark Andrews) (03/31/89)

I noticed a note a few months ago that Van Jacobson's new TCP code was
available from berkeley.edu via anonymous ftp. I do not have internet
access and was wondering if I could get it via uucp (or could someone send
it to me ??). Any assistance or information would be GREATLY appreciated.

					Mark Andrews
					Systems Programmer,
					Alias Research,
					Toronto, Canada
					1-(416)-362-9181

					alias!mark@utcsri.uucp

news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) (04/04/89)

In article <291@alias.UUCP> mark@alias.UUCP (Mark Andrews) writes:
>I noticed a note a few months ago that Van Jacobson's new TCP code was
>available from berkeley.edu via anonymous ftp. I do not have internet
>access and was wondering if I could get it via uucp (or could someone send
>it to me ??). Any assistance or information would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would also like to have this UUCP information, or be emailed the
source.  Thx MUCH!!!

			brian

--
Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
                                    | when you knock, equally spaced amid
Disclaimer: I don't think they even | those that open when you don't want
            admit I work here.      | them to. - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"

pvo1478@OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul V. O'Neill) (04/07/89)

>>............................................ I do not have internet
>>access and was wondering if I could get it via uucp (or could someone send
>>it to me ??). Any assistance or information would be GREATLY appreciated.

>I would also like to have this UUCP information, or be emailed the
>source.  Thx MUCH!!!

The Van Jacobson stuff on ucbarpa.berkeley.edu has improvements for dealing
with congested networks.  (Slow-start, re-transmission timer, etc.) If you're
not on the Internet, you probably don't have congested connections and
don't need it.  If you are running SunOS 4.0, you already have it.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (04/08/89)

pvo1478@OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul V. O'Neill) writes:
+---------------
| The Van Jacobson stuff on ucbarpa.berkeley.edu has improvements for dealing
| with congested networks.  (Slow-start, re-transmission timer, etc.) If you're
| not on the Internet, you probably don't have congested connections and
| don't need it....
+---------------

Well, the Internet isn't the only congested net in the world... ;-}
Anybody who has a 9600 or 56k link between two campuses/buildings of
Ethernets has probably seen congestion burps. And I've seen cases when
the new code would work with badly designed old Ethernet controllers
(need I name names? except to say they're for really small hosts) when
nothing else would. So it's good to have, regardless.

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403