[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NSFNET ?

gerald@ge1cbx.UUCP (Gerald Aden) (04/06/89)

I'm not sure that this is the right group to post this to.

I heard the other day about a network called NSFNET that is supposedly
replacing the ARPANET.  Can anyone tell me something about it and how
one goes about getting on this network?  Does one need to have some
affiliation with a government agency?  Is there a better group to
post this question to?

Thanks in advance,
Gerald Aden
--
Quotron Systems Inc.	          | Phone: (213)302-4254 FAX: (213)302-4499
Dept. 36240                       | uucp: uunet!janus!ge1cbx!gerald

schoff@REBEL.NYSER.NET ("Marty Schoffstall") (04/09/89)

Strictly speaking the ARPANet is being replaced by other DARPA
networks on the National Networking Testbed (NNT), and the ARPANet
is still chugging along as we speak.  The NSFNet is a national network
connecting regional networks (BARRNet in your area).  Indvidual organizations
don't join NSFNet they join a regional.

Of course one paragraph doesn't do any of this jstice.

Marty
-------------

    I'm not sure that this is the right group to post this to.

    I heard the other day about a network called NSFNET that is supposedly
    replacing the ARPANET.  Can anyone tell me something about it and how
    one goes about getting on this network?  Does one need to have some
    affiliation with a government agency?  Is there a better group to
    post this question to?

    Thanks in advance,
    Gerald Aden
    --
    Quotron Systems Inc.	          | Phone: (213)302-4254 FAX: (213)302-
   4499
    Dept. 36240                       | uucp: uunet!janus!ge1cbx!gerald
    12731 West Jefferson Blvd.	      |       trwrb!hacgate!janus!ge1cbx!gerald
    Los Angeles, CA 90066             |       gerald@ge1cbx.quotron.com

steve@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Stephen Wolff) (04/10/89)

ARPANET is being gradually decommissioned.

DARPA is building the Defense Research Internet (DRI) for the conduct of
DARPA business.

NSFNET is assuming the role of providing general purpose networking in
support of scientific research and other scholarly activities.  In your
case, access would be obtained through the regional network CERFnet, whose
Chairperson is Susan Estrada <estradas@sds.sdsc.edu> 619-534-5067.

In the longer term, the research-support networking activities of Federal
agencies are being coordinated as recommended in the 1987 report "A
Research and Development Strategy for High Performance Computing" issued by
the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.  Within this
strategic plan, networks of NSF, DARPA, NASA, DoE and other agencies will
be merged into a single National Research and Education Network, with
backbone speeds rising from the present 1.5 mb/s to 45 mb/s within three
years, and to 1-3 gb/s within ten years.

-s

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/11/89)

In article <8904091233.AA00388@rebel.nyser.net> schoff@REBEL.NYSER.NET
 ("Marty Schoffstall") writes:
>Strictly speaking the ARPANet is being replaced by other DARPA
>networks on the National Networking Testbed (NNT), and the ARPANet
>is still chugging along as we speak.  The NSFNet is a national network
>connecting regional networks (BARRNet in your area).  Indvidual organizations
>don't join NSFNet they join a regional.
>
>Of course one paragraph doesn't do any of this jstice.
>
>Marty
>-------------

	You are right, one paragraph can't do the topic justice.  The
original poster gets Internet service from uunet.  This will not change
at all as the arpanet goes away and nsfnet develops.  That may allay
some fears about connectivity.

	Of course, in a way, the old arpanet operational service *is*
being transferred to the NSFnet.  The NNT will be research oriented
and not for production e-mail use.  (Back to the roots.)  So, most
people's idea of arpanet service is moving to the NSFnet.

	In southern CA, Quotron could join the San Diego Supercomputer
regional or perhaps one of the other quasi-independent networking
conspiracies in CA.  I know of four now (BARRnet in the Bay Area,
SDSCnet in San Diego, CERFnet, and Los Nettos in LA).  I think that is
a record of sorts.  (I forgot to mention Shorelinenet, (good luck
folks) :-).

	Be prepared to pay your way and to use the net only for
academic, educational, and research purposes.  It's a little looser
than the arpanet was.  Understand you get telnet, ftp, smtp as well as
mail gateways to usenet, csnet, bitnet, etc.

	So call your local regional network sales office and sign up!
:-)

	Kent England, Boston University