[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP terminal access to GEAC computers anyone?

smart@ditmela.oz (Robert Smart) (04/12/89)

GEACs are computers made in Canada and sold mainly (?) for library
automation. They have an X.25 capability, but I'm not sure what
protocol they speak over that to their terminal concentrator things
called NIMs. They allow direct connection of async terminals so it
should be easy to get into them with a terminal server, right?
Wrong. They have their own funny terminals which talk some strange
multidrop polling protocol to the GEAC over the async line. This
lets you put up to 3 terminals on one async line. Each terminal
has to have a unique Polling Code. So you can set it up:

 up-to-3-GEAC-terminals---terminal-server----terminal-server---GEAC

I guess this will work if it is a fixed connection, but the GEAC will
keep polling the terminals across the network. If you try to bring
different (groups of) terminals in from different terminal servers
in to the same port on the GEAC then the polling won't work because
the Polling Codes will be wrong. You could set multiple terminals up
with the same codes, but then they wouldn't be able to use the GEAC
simultaneously (I think).

Well if I had the source for the terminal servers I guess I could
put in special code to fudge the polling and diddle the Polling
Codes. I hope somebody out there has a better idea: or knows more
about these beasts than me. I might say that we have a fair few
of these GEAC terminals, so we'd like a solution that allows them.
Then again they're expensive (understatement) so we would also be
interested in a solution that emulates them on VT100s or similar.

Bob Smart <smart%ditmelb.oz.au@uunet.uu.net> or <uunet!munnari!ditmelb!smart>

sean@geac.UUCP (Sean Phelan) (04/22/89)

There have been a couple of messages about Geac's old-style polled,
async terminals, with some ( very valid ) criticism of their inability
to interroperate with TCP-IP lans.

SHERWOOD@AC.DAL.CA (John Sherwood) replies :

> Our GEAC allows the asynch terminals to be configured as GLASS-TTY
> instead of the multi-dropped polling type. This means you can connect
> a single, dumb ASCII terminal to the GEAC port. Makes for an easy
> connection to the terminal server, right?
>
> Wrong. They neglect such frills as flow control and connection control.
> All this applies to the older 8000 series machines. Our 9000 is in and
> running, but I haven't had a chance to see if things have improved. If
> anyone has a better way of doing things, would we ever like to hear it!

Yes, there sure is a better way of doing things !!  Let me put things in
context by explaining a bit more about our old-style polling protocol,
and then I'll describe how we now support VT100/VT220 terminals.

The reason we used to build our own terminals was that libraries require
more than the standard 96 character ASCII character set.  North America
uses the ~160 character ALA ( American Libraries Association ) set, and
most of the rest of the world uses the 190 character ISO set.  We also
put bar-wand decoding hardware and software in the terminal, which meant
that a terminal just needed a $200 wand, and no $500 decoder box, in
order to read bar-codes.

We used the ANSI X3.28 polling protocol because it allowed cheap, easy
cabling, and enabled several terminals in a library branch to share one
leased line back to the host.

So, Geac terminals were a smart idea 5 or 6 years ago, even cheap by the
standards of the day.  However now their time has passed, for two main
reasons :

  - far too expensive ( for us to make, and hence for libraries to buy )

  - polling and lans don't mix !!

The first point needs little explanation - companies like Wyse have over
120 times the terminal manufacturing volume that Geac had.  Wyse has
factories in the far east, our factory is in Toronto.

Clearly, passing async polls across a LAN is horrendous.  Some people
do it, but we don't recommend it.

So we've replaced the polled, Geac-built terminals with two alternatives :
Support of VT100/VT220 terminals, and a terminal emulation for a PC.

VT100/VT220 compatible terminals are supported through a small 8 port
cluster controller called the Geac 8212.  Either connect the terminals
directly or via a LAN and terminal servers.  Flow control ( X-on X-off)
and connection control are optimised for use over LANs, radio-modems
etc.

        up to 8                       .--------.
        terminals                     |  Geac  |
                    .--------.        |  host  |
          VT220 ----|        |        |        |
          VT220 ----|  8212  |--------|        |
          VT100 ----|        |        |        |
                    `--------'        `--------'

VT100/VT220 terminals won't display the full ALA or ISO character sets,
but we use the DEC Multinational Charcter Set to get many of the common
ones.  Bar wands are done with an add-on decoder box.

For the full ALA or ISO character sets, we offer a terminal emulation on
the PC.  There's also an optional PC board for doing the bar-wand decoding.

I'm beginning to sound like a salesman now, so I'll stop here.  For more
information call your Geac account rep, who has no inhibitions about
sounding like a salesman.

If the terminals on your LAN are vt100/vt220 compatible, I would STRONGLY
recommend using the 8212 solution rather than the dumb async terminal
approach - you get a nice, user-friendly full-screen mode instead of
the scrolling dumb terminal, and the per-port cost is the same or lower
than buying port boards for the host ( at least, it was last time I
looked - I'm a programmer, not a salesman. )  If you find ANYTHING
unsatisfactory about the way this configuration works, bug your account
rep about it, or mail or call me.  Since LAN connectivity was one of
the main reasons for introducing this product, we'd like to see it
work as well as possible.

Your reaction to this may be "but that's not REAL lan connectivity -
I want the Geac host to connect direct to the Ethernet, without going
through terminal servers !!"   We decided to start with the async
approach, because most of our sites only want a few simultaneous
connections - one 8212 with 8 ports is almost always sufficient - and
this approach is much cheaper for the library than a direct Ethernet
connection.  We are working on a direct connection for future sites that
will use Ethernet for all the terminals - perhaps 100 simultaneous
connections.  Sorry, I can't give a release date.

If you are trying to connect a Geac library system to your LAN, or to
anything else, please feel free to mail me questions or comments.  It
would help me, though, if you tell me the name of your Geac account rep.

--
Sean Phelan                                   | "Education furnishes the mind,
Geac Computer, Markham, Ontario               |  making it a pleasant place to