[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] dialup SLIP

andrew@mitisft.UUCP (09/02/87)

in article <8708311459.AA25432@oswego>, beadel@oswego.UUCP (Edward F. Beadel, Jr.) says:
> 	Does anybody know of a 4.3( or 4.2)bsd version that has been hacked
> to allow dialup use? We are having "campus political problems" getting a

	We have had such a system running internally here at Convergent
Technologies for about a year.  In that time, it has run under both 4.2
and 4.3 based CTIX (Convergent's UNIX), and will soon be released with
our System V.3.1 Streams / 4.3 BSD (with RFS & NFS) product.

	If you cannot find a non-commercial source, I can put you in touch
with someone here and maybe we can get you one of the earlier mbuf-based
versions.  However its possible you'd have to buy it, either with hardware
from us (or one of our customers) or possibly from Lachman Associates.

	I intend to post some more detailed experiences/queries regarding
address selection and routing in this environment sometime in the near
future, when I have more time to work on this project...

Andrew Knutsen
(408) 435-3623

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (01/26/89)

there is an IETF working group dealing with this, but i havent seen
much on it in awhile. this will be in the public domain, and several
vendors have expressed an interest in supporting the resulting spec
(if it meets their needs).

stev knowles
stev@ftp.com

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (01/27/89)

I missed the last meeting, but I believe the group has decided that
the protocol for doing IP over serial lines (including dialups)
will not be the existing SLIP protocol.

_Ron

andrew@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Andrew Knutsen) (01/28/89)

	Dial up SLIP is also available on the Convergent S/Series, under
system V.3.  Lachman Associates has the code, and may sell it;  also,
they may have sold it to SUN.  This version is dial-on-demand, and uses
HDB uucp dialing code.

Andrew Knutsen
Convergent

wisner@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bill Wisner) (01/30/89)

A protocol called SLFP, developed at MIT, has been added to the Atari ST port
of KA9Q TCP/IP by a University of Michigan person, and has been implemented
on Michigan's MERIT network. It allows dial-up Internet access like SLIP,
but with an interesting twist. When an ST with KA9Q dials into MERIT, both
ends automatically begin talking SLFP. But MERIT dynamically allocates
the ST an IP address. The address assigned is different every time a
connection is made.

I'm told that there are plans to eventually allow for dynamic DNS updates:
when a host connects and is told its IP address, PTR and A records with a
TTL of zero will be added to a nameserver for the duration of the connection.
When the connection is broken, PTR and A records will be removed, leaving
only an MX record.

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (01/30/89)

    Date: 29 Jan 89 19:20:34 GMT
    From: cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu!wisner@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Bill Wisner)

    A protocol called SLFP, developed at MIT, has been added to the Atari ST port
    of KA9Q TCP/IP by a University of Michigan person, ...

Cool.  Any idea offhand where I might find source etc? (For both ends)
Is the U of M person Howard Chu?

Thanks for any info.

johnan@ism780c.isc.com (John Antypas) (01/30/89)

>    A protocol called SLFP, developed at MIT, has been added to the Atari ST port
>    of KA9Q TCP/IP by a University of Michigan person, ...

Could you send me the UofM info when you find it?

Thanks.

--
John Antypas -- Interactive Systems
...!{haddock, uunet, sdcrdcf}!ism780c!johnan johnan@ism780c.isc.com

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/03/89)

In article <32958@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bill Wisner <wisner@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>A protocol called SLFP, developed at MIT, has been added to the Atari ST port
>of KA9Q TCP/IP by a University of Michigan person, and has been implemented
>on Michigan's MERIT network. It allows dial-up Internet access like SLIP,
>but with an interesting twist. When an ST with KA9Q dials into MERIT, both
>ends automatically begin talking SLFP. But MERIT dynamically allocates
>the ST an IP address. The address assigned is different every time a
>connection is made.

Howard Chu (umix!hyc), myself, and Bill Doster
(Bill_Doster@um.cc.umich.edu) have worked on slfp with ka9q.  The net
result is that MERIT users possessing a modem and a PC can ftp files
and use telnet.

The files were available for anonymous ftp from umix.cc.umich.edu.
Non internet people might try a public access unix system available at
(313) 994-6333.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

martinea@CRC.SKL.DND.CA (Mike Martineau) (02/24/89)

I remember seeing a number of messages regarding dial up slip
in the past month.  I suddenly have an urgent need to get more
info re: dial up slip but, unfortunately,  did not save any of
the previous mail messages.  Can someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,

Michael Martineau
Software Kinetics Ltd.
martinea@crc.skl.dnd.ca (192.5.204.1)

jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU (04/23/89)

It has been suggested (including on this forum) that one could use
dialup SLIP to create backup paths in leased-line wans.  If an
intermediate router in my regional network went down, I could just
automatically call past it and temporarily use a SLIP connection while
the primary was being restored.

Is anybody (besides me) actually experimenting with this use of dialup
SLIP?

Has anybody given any thought to how to handle routing in such an
environment?  There seem to be two possible models:
   (1)	The CSnet "dial on demand", in which the SLIP route is
	claimed to exist all the time, but is only active while traffic
	is present.  This has the disadvantage that you can't employ a
	routing protocol like RIP that depends on routinely sending
	reachability data across the link.  CSnet, I gather, uses
	only static routes.
   (2)	Create and advertise a route when needed.  This requires that
	network management software notice that the primary route is
	gone and initiate a connection.  Since network management has
	noticed the loss of connectivity, presumably user applications
	have too.

jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff Sheese) (04/23/89)

In an article of <23 Apr 89 13:32:27 GMT>, jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU writes:

 >It has been suggested (including on this forum) that one could use
 >dialup SLIP to create backup paths in leased-line wans.  If an
 >intermediate router in my regional network went down, I could just
 >automatically call past it and temporarily use a SLIP connection while
 >the primary was being restored.
 >
 >Is anybody (besides me) actually experimenting with this use of dialup
 >SLIP?

Contact mju@m-net.UUCP.  He and several others have modified the source
for KA9Q software to use dialup SLIP with the Merit network in Ann
Arbor and Detroit Michigan.
--
Jeff Sheese - via FidoNet node 1:109/116
UUCP: ...!netsys!jsheese!jeffery

(Send all replies to netsys!jsheese!jeffery)

Dave_Katz@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (04/24/89)

>Contact mju@m-net.UUCP.  He and several others have modified the source
>for KA9Q software to use dialup SLIP with the Merit network in Ann
>Arbor and Detroit Michigan.

Merit does not provide dial-up SLIP, but instead provides dial-up SLFP
(the MIT/PCIP serial protocol).  SLFP provides the dynamic IP address
assignment desirable for dialup lines.  We offer SLIP for hardwire
lines only.

Dave Katz
Merit Computer Network