[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] IP authentication

hal@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Hal Feinstein) (04/17/89)

Speaking of encryption on a LAN:

There's a group meeting for some time called: LAN Security Study Group
(802.10 I think) working toward a group  of encryption standards for LAN.
These are algorithm independent but, everyone likes DES for the traffic
and they've just gotten a proposal for RSA key distribution.
They're been laying a lot of ground work and of couse,
certain vendors would like the standard to look like their product(s)
(nothing new in this). For more information you might send mail to
kek@mitre-bedford.arpa (mbunix.mitre.org), Kim acts as chairperson of
the group.

Before you trade in your trusty TCPDUMP and overhaul your old rotor
machines, what about all those keys that are going to be floating around
the net. If everyone shares a common key you get no security. If everyones
got a different key, well, start thinking about key management.

                           -hal@gateway.mitre.org

jeff@dante.nmsu.edu (Jeff Harris) (04/25/89)

For those people really concerned about security on their LAN, you
might be interested in the DEC DESNC Ethernet Security Device.  This
box looks like a 4 port thinwire repeater, but performs real-time DES
encryption on packet bodies.  A VMS VAX provides key distribution, and
determines what e-net address can connect to what ports, and whether
or not sessions must be encrypted.  The devices that you connect to
the box think they are connecting to a standard thinwire ethernet, so
no mods are required to hardware or software.

We are currently evaluating this box for construction of a relatively
secure network for our administrative users.

Jeff Harris
Computer Center - Room 133E
Box 30001 / Dept 3AT
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003-0001

Internet: jeff@NMSU.Edu				Voice	: (505) 646-5110
UUCP	: sun!sunpeaks!sunnmex!nmsu!jeff	FAX	: (505) 646-5278
Bitnet	: jeff@nmsu

mckee@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (H. Craig McKee) (04/26/89)

>From: opus!dante!jeff@lanl.gov  (Jeff Harris)
>
>For those people really concerned about security on their LAN, you
>might be interested in the DEC DESNC Ethernet Security Device.

Wang, Motorola, and Xerox are also developing LAN encryption products.
I'm familiar the Xerox Encryption Unit: 802.3; it plugs into the drop
cable between the processor and the transceiver connection; encryption
is done using a chip developed by Ultron (703)827-9405; the first 14
octets remain in-the-clear; the  XEU costs about 5K; Xerox contact
is Frank Presson (703)442-6777.