[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] talk

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (04/23/89)

Could someone please point me to the protocol description of talk(1) on
on the SUN?  About all I know about it is that there are two incompatible
versions (for different versions of SunOS) and they use UDP port 517/518
to establish a connection and then change over to use a TCP connection to
support the conversation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,cs.ubc.ca}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

In article <2382@van-bc.UUCP> skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) writes:
>Could someone please point me to the protocol description of talk(1) on
>on the SUN? ...

I believe the answer is the usual for Berkeley networking software:  you
get to read the source (if you have it!), as there is no documentation.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu