[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Subliminal

rjh@cs.purdue.EDU (Bob Hathaway) (04/08/89)

[This is a comment on RFC 1097, which provides a standard for sending
and receiving subliminal messages across the internet.  Since newsgroups
are a potential victim of subliminal messages, I'm cross-posting this
article.]

I sincerely hope RFC 1097 is a joke, subliminal suggestion is a devious and
underhanded way to influence people into taking actions or adopt ideas
without their consent.  People should be afraid to look at terminals if
there is a possibility subliminal messages are being sent.  Why isn't this
practice illegal?  I vote for a complete banning of subliminal messages from
any electronic medium and propose for now a banning of subliminal messages
across the Internet.  Subliminal messages are a dangerous threat to our
security and the integrity of the Internet.

From rfc 1097:

>4.  Motivation for the option
>
>   Frequently the use of "Message of the day" banners and newsletters is
>   insufficient to convince stubborn users to upgrade to the latest
>   version of telnet.  Some users will use the same outdated version for
>   years.  I ran across this problem trying to convince people to use
>   the REMOTE-FLOW-CONTROL Telnet option.  These users need to be gently
>   "persuaded".

Persuading users without their consent?  Do we really want system
administrators and programmers to secretly influence us to use their
latest fad software or worse?  This is absurd.

>   1.  Server suggests and client agrees to use SUBLIMINAL-MESSAGE.
>
>      (Server sends) IAC DO SUBLIMINAL-MESSAGE
>      (Client sends) IAC WILL SUBLIMINAL-MESSAGE
>      (Server sends) IAC SB SUBLIMINAL-MESSAGE 0 5 0 20 "Use VMS" IAC SE
>
>         [The server is "suggesting that the user employ a stable
>         operating system, not an unreasonable request...]

VMS is a proprietary operating system, this tactic should not be used.  Any
software producer could subliminally suggest we use their software.  This
is an unconscionable and underhanded means of influencing people and
selling products.

In my opinion, subliminal messages are a direct, unconscionable, and
flagrant violation of our civil rights and should be banned immediately.

So,
	1. I am preparing another RFC to ban subliminal messages
	   from passage across the Internet.  I wouldn't give
	   subliminal messages the respectability of an RFC,
	   and think we should replace the existing RFC 1097 by
	   a new RFC banning the practice, not just obsolete RFC 1097.
	   I believe this is necessary to maintain the respectability of
	   the Internet.

	2. How did this RFC ever get adopted?  If this adoption practice
	   is carried out in private, I vote RFC's should be posted for
	   public discussion first, perhaps in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

Bob Hathaway
rjh@purdue.edu

Seen in a .signature recently:

	The price of freedom is eternal digilence.

dpz@pilot.njin.net (David Paul Zimmerman) (04/08/89)

I think somebody missed the joke ... for anyone interested in submitting an
RFC titled "Requirements for Internet Users", please contact me :-)

						David
--
David Paul Zimmerman                                 Rutgers University
dpz@pilot.njin.net         rutgers!dpz        dpzimmerman@zodiac.bitnet

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (04/09/89)

Jeez, we better not less this Hathaway guy read any Padlipsky.  He'd
probably blow a gasket.

Anyone interested in a SENSE-OF-HUMOR TELNET option?  Unfortunately, it
seems the usual response from some people to an IAC DO SENSE-OF-HUMOR
would be IAC WONT SENSE-OF-HUMOR.  Or perhaps we should add a CANT
opcode to option negotiation....
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (04/09/89)

In article <8904081252.AA03712@alanine.phri.nyu.edu>, roy@ALANINE.PHRI.NYU.EDU (Roy Smith) wrote:
>Uh, yeah Bob, I think it was a joke.  Did you notice the April 1st date
>on the RFC?  You are of course correct about the evils of subliminality
>but I wouldn't be surprised if some hackers out there have already worked
>support for 1097 into their telnet clients and servers.  Perhaps it was
>a joke taken too far, but rest assured that it was a joke.

Well, at least they wouldn't be able to implement RFC1097 "to-the-letter". :-)

RFC854 says the TELNET option code is one-byte long.  Now, someone would
have to be pretty creative to figure out how to jam the decimal value
257 into that poor byte. :-)  (Of course, "byte" means octect in this
context.)

(I admit that I wasn't totally convinced about it being a joke until the
257 came along. :-( )

--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,cs.ubc.ca}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

mckenzie@bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) (04/10/89)

Bob,

Better check RFC 748 for another bad idea.

Alex McKenzie

bob@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/10/89)

(In the voice of Foghorn Leghorn:) "That's a joke, son!"

mrc@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crispin) (04/12/89)

Alex -

     As the author of RFC 748, I take extreme offense at the suggestion that
RFC 748 was a bad idea.  It was, perhaps, an idea that was before its time
(the RFC was written 10 years ago), but with the advent of Internetworking,
TCP, and ISO the problem addressed by RFC 748 has become more serious.  RFC
748 provides a simple and elegant way of solving the problem.

     I expect that the authors of the forthcoming Host Requirements RFC will
make RFC 748 a mandatory part of all host implementations.

     With tongue firmly planted in cheek,

-- Mark --

-------

tinker@ultra.UUCP (Don Tinker) (04/12/89)

I am heartened by the sensibility of the community that met
this proposal with silent disdain. After all, a User is a
device for maintaining connectivity among devices (or
maintaining reconnectivity, in the case of those $%*&^#%
sliding-latch connectors), and thus more properly should
be specified by EIA.

Don Tinker						tinker@ultra.com
Systems Engineer				(703) 821-8393
Ultra Network Technologies

jeff@hpctdkz.HP.COM (Jeff Hughes) (04/12/89)

    I am confused. Is RFC1097 a joke or what? If so, no one is laughing.
I agree with Bob H. completely!

watrous@porthos.rutgers.edu (Don Watrous) (04/13/89)

In article <6462@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> rjh@cs.purdue.EDU (Bob Hathaway) writes:

> I sincerely hope RFC 1097 is a joke, subliminal suggestion is a devious and
> underhanded way to influence people into taking actions or adopt ideas
> without their consent.  People should be afraid to look at terminals if
> there is a possibility subliminal messages are being sent.  Why isn't this
> practice illegal?  I vote for a complete banning of subliminal messages from
> any electronic medium and propose for now a banning of subliminal messages
> across the Internet.  Subliminal messages are a dangerous threat to our
> security and the integrity of the Internet.

I would have agreed with you a while ago myself.  When our systems
group first considered implementing subliminals, I strongly opposed on
ethical grounds.  I gave in to a test period only after assurances
that it would be used only on our most difficult users by unanimous
decision of the systems staff, and *NEVER* on the staff themselves.

Well, I must say that after the test period was over, I was convinced.
Our users seem happier and decision making around here has never gone
easier.  In terms of user satisfaction, our performance has never been
better.  That's what we're here for, right?  Get down off your ethical
high horse and deal with problems pragmatically!

;^)

Don
--
{backbone}!aramis.rutgers.edu!watrous        watrous@aramis.rutgers.edu

In article <3270014@hpctdkz.HP.COM> jeff@hpctdkz.HP.COM (Jeff Hughes) writes:
>    I am confused. Is RFC1097 a joke or what? If so, no one is laughing.

Maybe you aren't, but I chuckled when I read it.  It was dated April
1, so I recognized it immediately for what it was (I don't think a
serious RFC ever has or will be published on that date).  It was good
satire, as it was written in the precise style of normal Telnet option
RFC's.  It was funnier than the usual Usenet humor, which is mostly
made up of Star Trek: The Next Generation parodies, definitions of
"Real Programmers", and computer folklore discussions that degenerate
into lists of all the silly things naive users do to floppy disks.
But the proof of the pudding is that some people actually believed it,
despite repeated warnings in news.announce.important to be on the
lookout for April Fool's Day hacks.  The other funny thing is that
there are still people flaming about it nearly three weeks later.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (04/19/89)

It must be working like magic.  Haven't heard a noise out of Webber in
ages.

--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@ccnysci                        City College of New York

7thSon@SLCS.SLB.COM (Chris Garrigues) (04/19/89)

We felt that this option would be useful here because we have a number
of users who appear to be unable to remember instructions from one day
to the next, so I was going to implement it.  I first decided that I
should implement WILL RANDOMLY-LOSE (RFC 748), however since it would be
useful to turn this flag on until I got SUBLIMINAL-MESSAGE debugged.

However, I've been having a hell of a time figuring out how to get
either 256 or 257 encoded into a single byte.  Should this be implmented
using the EXTENDED-OPTIONS-LIST of RFC 861?

Chris

mckee@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (H. Craig McKee) (04/20/89)

>From: hpfcdc!hpldola!hpctdlb!hpctdkz!jeff@hplabs.hp.com  (Jeff Hughes)
>
>    I am confused. Is RFC1097 a joke or what? If so, no one is laughing.
>I agree with Bob H. completely!

I believe the date of the RFC (91/1989 Julian) should influence
our thinking on this matter.  Regards - Craig

ww0n+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Walter Lloyd Wimer III) (04/21/89)

To anyone who's still unsure about whether this is a joke:  just try to
implement it.  Upon careful reading of RFC 1097, you'll see the following:

        1.  Command name and code.

             SUBLIMINAL-MESSAGE 257

Good luck,

Walt Wimer

What sort of hardware is needed to implement this? The 1/60 second update
rate of standard CRTs is too slow for subliminal messages, even ignoring
considerations of phosphor decay rates. Do you need some sort of RS232-able
tachistoscope to get the required ~2ms display time?

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU (04/25/89)

	What sort of hardware is needed to implement this? The 1/60
	second update rate of standard CRTs is too slow for subliminal
	messages, even ignoring considerations of phosphor decay rates.
	Do you need some sort of RS232-able tachistoscope to get the
	required ~2ms display time?
A standard vector CRT with a reasonably flexible controller should do
the trick.  HP makes such a beast, for instance.  If you keep the
display list very short and tell the controller to scan once only,
you may be able to achieve 2ms display time.  In a perception lab
with which I am associated we routinely get ~10ms temporal accuracy,
more limited by the cpu clock than by the display.

Note, however, that since you must draw characters the text of your
message must be kept short.  A reasonable upper bound would be 2
characters.  Thus, the subliminal message "IP" is doable, but "OSI"
probably is not.

More seriously, but not appropriate to this list:  if anyone knows
of any raster display hardware capable of < 10ms temporal resolution
please send me email.  We are interested in buying...  Our T-scope
controller is a networked PC (spry.psych.uoregon.edu), but the stimuli
still have to be inserted in the fields manually.

7thSon@SLCS.SLB.COM (Chris Garrigues) (04/25/89)

    Date: 24 Apr 89 15:48:40 GMT
    From: peter%ficc%sugar%texbell@bellcore.com  (Peter da Silva)

    What sort of hardware is needed to implement this? The 1/60 second update
    rate of standard CRTs is too slow for subliminal messages, even ignoring
    considerations of phosphor decay rates. Do you need some sort of RS232-able
    tachistoscope to get the required ~2ms display time?

I was actually implementing it on a Lisp Machine and because this is an
AI machine, I can use various AI techniques to display the message very
quickly on a portion of the screen where I can be reasonably certain the
user isn't looking (by use of an expert system modeling the user's
visual system).

Admittedly, this solution isn't guaranteed to always keep the message at
a subliminal level, but we feel that our model is accurate enough (and
our users are sufficiently asleep), that the majority of them will never
know what hit their retina.

A second option I was considering was to simply display it as a
notification with the string "Don't read this:  " appended to the front,
but after some experimentation, I now feel that this might be too
obvious.

Two techniques which I haven't experimented with are (a) to dither the
message into the background pattern on my window system.  This would
make the message difficult to read, but isn't that the idea? and (b) to
use the audio system of the console to actually say the words very
quietly.  I suspect this would work on people like myself who work with
the radio on, but might be detectable by those who perfer to work in
silence.

I expect to have more success when I port to a color screen because I
can simply write the charaters with the color being almost, but not
quite, identical to the background color.  After all, can *you*
differentiate 16,777,216 different colors?  How to select the colors is
certainly a fascinating area for future research.

Chris

In article <8904251341.AA04991@hogg.cc.uoregon.edu> jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>A standard vector CRT with a reasonably flexible controller should do
>the trick.  HP makes such a beast, for instance.  If you keep the
>display list very short and tell the controller to scan once only,
>you may be able to achieve 2ms display time...
>
>Note, however, that since you must draw characters the text of your
>message must be kept short.  A reasonable upper bound would be 2
>characters.  Thus, the subliminal message "IP" is doable, but "OSI"
>probably is not...

Of course, if you've got a Three Rivers Graphic Wonder, you could probably
do a chapter or so out of Padlipsky's book... :-)

(For those not familiar with it, the GW was a CMU invention that Three
Rivers tried -- not very successfully -- to sell commercially.  The market
wanted vector displays to be smart; the GW was dumb but very very very fast.
It tended to fill its dual-ported memory before it ran out of refresh
speed, but Tom Duff once estimated it could refresh 100,000 short vectors
without serious flicker, if you could find somewhere to store them all.)
(U of T has Three Rivers GW serial number 001.)
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <19890425150305.1.7THSON@GLOWWORM.LispM.SLCS.SLB.COM>, 7thSon@SLCS.SLB.COM (Chris Garrigues) writes:
> Two techniques which I haven't experimented with are (a) to dither the
> message into the background pattern on my window system.  This would
> make the message difficult to read, but isn't that the idea?

The problem is that the human visual system is cued to movement and to
certain kinds of borders. If you use differential dithering patterns you
may or may not be able to see the message at all, particularly if the
size of the message is on the order of magnitude of your background.

Consider the success of copy-protected checks, that use two areas of the same
luminance but a different sized mesh of dots to print a ghostly 'VOID' on the
check... one that can't be seen but will produce a visible interference
pattern with the screen in a copy machine.

Of course this might actually have a subliminal effect. Maybe the anxiety
you feel at payday is NOT just related to the size of your paycheck?