[net.jobs] Info wanted on Pencom Systems, Inc

husmann@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/11/85)

Has anyone had any experience with a technical recruiting firm called Pencom
Systems, Inc., from New York City?  I would appreciate hearing from anyone
about Pencom.

Thanks.

Harlan Husmann

usenet:  {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!husmann
csnet:   husmann@uiucdcs.Uiuc
bitnet:  husmann at uiucvmd
arpa:    husmann%uicsrd@uiuc.arpa

PS - please send me mail if you don't want to respond here.

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (12/13/85)

Pencom called me because a friend gave them my name.  After
several communications back and forth they still didn't seem to
understand what sort of position I was interested in, so we sort
of quit calling each other.  Since I am an "academic" type it is
probable that most people would not have this problem with them.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/14/85)

In article <8600013@uiucdcsb>, husmann@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with a technical recruiting firm called Pencom
> Systems, Inc., from New York City?  I would appreciate hearing from anyone
> about Pencom.

They specialize, they say, in placing people in the U*IX job force.
They put me in touch with my present employer.  I have no complaints.
I have heard membling from others about not liking them for vague
reasons, but I suspect any job placement firm makes enemies as well
as friends.  I found them to be top drawer.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (12/19/85)

In article <1087@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Pencom called me because a friend gave them my name.  After
>several communications back and forth they still didn't seem to
>understand what sort of position I was interested in, so we sort
>of quit calling each other.  Since I am an "academic" type it is
>probable that most people would not have this problem with them.

   Well, my last job wasn't at all academic, and I had the same problem
with them, and worse (if anybody remembers my headhunter flame from several
weeks ago, they were the flamees).  To summarize, they ignored my geographical
preference (I stressed that it wasn't just a preference, but a firm
requirement (because I *want* to experience new places, Laura :-)); severely
misrepresented my skills (i.e. lied); only started coming up with prospects
when I got an interview on my own; called me at *their* convenience (including
weekend mornings, and late evenings); and even tried to get me to back out
of this job (the own I got on my own) *after* I agreed to work here and
had my relocation plans set!
   However, don't take my word for it; they've probably gotten better...

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)