[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Problem with telnetting from NCR Tower w/Excelan to DG AOS/VS

d.jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (05/06/89)

I have a small problem with Excelan's telnet for the NCR Tower.
It only occurs when I telnet to a DG machine running AOS/VS.
NCR to Sun's and Vax's works fine, and so does Vax and Mac to DG.

When I do a 'cat', 'ls' or anything else that outputs more than a couple
of lines, output seems to be suspended every 1/2 page, just as if I had
been using 'more' or 'pg'. Pressing SPACE, NL, CR or any other key,
gives me the next 1/2 page. The characters are not used by the DG host,
istead they are put in the normal input buffer and are used as part of
the next command.

Local telnet-status says:

  Do suppress go aheads (GAs).
  Remote echo.
  Ascii mode

Changing 'Do suppress...' to 'Do not suppress...' don't help
(whatever those GAs are).

Any ideas?

In article <27@harald.UUCP> d.jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
>I have a small problem with Excelan's telnet for the NCR Tower.
>It only occurs when I telnet to a DG machine running AOS/VS.
>When I do a 'cat', 'ls' or anything else that outputs more than a couple
>of lines, output seems to be suspended every 1/2 page, just as if I had
>been using 'more' or 'pg'...

Almost certainly this has nothing to do with Telnet, but is a feature of
the DG host.  Such built-in terminal paging is not uncommon; a number of
people (myself included) have implemented it on various Unix systems, on
the theory that potentially-valuable output should not run off the screen
without permission.  (Please note:  tcp-ip doesn't seem the right place
to debate the correctness of this theory.)
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu