[net.jobs] AI search and recruitment

md@mdee.UUCP (Marilyn) (07/19/85)

Marilyn Dee Associates Inc. is a search and recruiting firm for
the computer professional.

We provide:

	A variety of opportunities to match yours or your company's needs
	with highly qualified computer firms and/or professionals.

	A more intelligent option than sending out numerous resumes or
	interviewing numerous candidates.  On the phone, in privacy, you
	can discuss your particular goals and ambitions either for you or
	your company.

	A timesaver to help the busy computer professional maintain relevant
	information concerning current openings and available candidates.

We specialize in placing scientists and managers in Artficial Intelligence
and related system applications.

For further information, contact:
	Marilyn Dee Associates, Inc.
	6003 Stearnshill Road
	Waltham, MA 02154
	617-891-3300

	...!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!mdee!root

bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) (07/23/85)

I hate to flame, but a certain Headhunting firm in Waltham, Ma. has been
posting regularly articles that look (to me) very much like regular ad-
vertising.  Each time I have seen the postings, the postings appear TWICE
in a row with identical wording.

Most of the postings I see in net.jobs tell about specific positions available
with companies, and many of them require speciallized skills.  It is useful
to know what kind of positions are available, and with what companies, and
mostly what job skills companies are looking for.  On the other hand, I
already know that there are Headhunters (excuse me, I meant Executive Search
Firms) in Waltham, Massachusetts.  I am fairly new to this net, but it seems
that these postings are not in the spirit of net.jobs.

The opinions expressed are my own and do not in any way reflect the opinions
of my employer.

					Bob Bruck
					NBI Inc.  Boulder, Co.
					(hao | allegra | ...)!nbires!bob

dave@ur-helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) (12/11/85)

In article <153@mdee.UUCP> root@mdee.UUCP (root) writes:
>Marilyn Dee Associates Inc. is a search and recruiting firm for
>the computer professional.
>
>We provide:

a whole bunch of glossy advertising info

>	...!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!mdee!root

Headhunters on the net??!!
There exist on other nets (.micro.XXXX, .sources, .arch to name a few)
rather heated discussions about people making money over the net.  None
of discussions have been about anything as blatent as this "ad".  The
irony is that your company is *paying* for UUCP so that this company can
try to hire you.  Granted, this net is for jobs and people who need jobs,
but these people are not offering jobs--they are selling a service.
Imagine a net where everyone with something to sell (products and services)
needed just a UUCP to reach you, the computer professional. No thanks.

"The Faster I Go the Behinder I Get"
--Lewis Carroll

Dave Carlson
{allegra,seismo,decvax}!rochester!ur-valhalla!dave

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (12/12/85)

Terry,

	I have to disagree.  I think that the stated purpose of net.jobs
is for "jobs announcements, requests, etc" and that a personnel agency
posting a note telling the world at large that they're willing to help
place people in challenging new positions is within that purpose.

*leaping onto my handy soapbox*

	As far as paying for free advertising...all the policing in the
world isn't going to stop it, and I think that if the postings are
relevent and reasonable (and short!) then I'm not adverse to having
them.

	The bottom line is that the net is a FREE system without any
constraints on postings, and I'd much rather see a few adverts than
the usual drivel out of the mouths of babes at some of the random
sites on the nets...or the garbage in net.sources....or better yet,
try to imagine how much HP is willing to pay to keep net.flame or
net.sources.mac afloat versus this type of posting...

	As far as their 'unmitigated gall' (I could hear it in my
head, sorry) for posting, so what?  Are they to wait until a long
time in the future to have the air clear?

	I hate to get on your case, Terry, but I think that the
net is already far too cluttered, and if we're going to start
policing it, there are many other things that offend me more and
cost us more money than a 27 line (or thereabouts) posting from
a company that people who read this group are probably quite
interested in learning about.

	On the other hand, I do encourage the personnel groups to
minimize the length of their postings...

	Speaking of which, why is it okay for, say, NCR to post a
job opening but not an agency?  What's the fundamental difference?

	*Climbing off of my soapbox*

	If we all just learned to be more mellow, I think the world
would be a far better place to live...

					-- Dave Taylor
					Hewlett Packard

Needless to say, the views I express are probably not shared by Bill, Dave,
John Young or any of the executive council here at HP.  *sigh*

tlr@umcp-cs.UUCP (Terry L. Ridder) (12/12/85)

	I have a problem with this type of posting.
	My reasons are as follows:

	Those of us who do spend money to keep the NET
	running should not be paying for some HEADHUNTER
	to have FREE advertising.

	Given the recent postings concerning headhunters
	and the reasons as to why a person should not use
	a headhunter, what HEADHUNTER in their right mind
	(do they right minds?) would post this kind of
	article to the net.

	I would tend to think that the HEADHUNTER does not
	read net.jobs and justs post to it.

	Terry L. Ridder
--
Terry L. Ridder
401 Cherry Lane E301

lwm@iuvax.UUCP (12/14/85)

I think I can understand why this type of posting makes some people nervous.
However, I think it is worthwhile if we pause and reconsider before kindling
too many flames.

The posting from mdee!root is basically a product anouncement.  Product
announcements are nothing new on the net.  Since the product in question is
employment services, it should not be surprising that it is posted here.  All
product announcements are invitations to people and/or companies to buy a
product which benefits the manufacturer financially.

Postings of job openings by companies are not purely information offered for
the benefit of job seekers; there are financial benefits here too.  It costs
little or nothing to post a job opening on the net.  It saves the company with
the opening considerable money though.  A wide audience of potential employees
can be reached without having to purchase newspaper ads in all the cities
reached by usenet.  It takes man-hours of work on the part of the people in
a company's personnel office to get the word out all over the country if it
is done without the net.  A penny saved is a penny earned.

Postings by job seekers are similarly of a commercial nature.  A job seeker
is selling his services and advertising them on the net.  No one can
deny that considerable time (time is money) is saved by job seekers by
using the net to send out resumes.  Don't forget postage saved either.

As far as headhunters in particular, I know many of us do not have good
impressions of them.  I have had my share of annoyances with some of them too.
The tactics used by some of them can be truly offensive.  They are not all
like that though, and many professionals actually like to use headhunters.
Likewise, many companies like to use them.  They consider it an extension of
their personnel departments (which are just in-house headhunters after all).
Many start-up companies don't have a real personnel department yet, but may
have some excellent job opportunities to offer.  They have to rely on someone
else to find employees for them.  Additionally, all companies with attractive
openings are not on the net.  Having mdee on the net may allow us to hear of
an interesting position we wouldn't otherwise know about.

As far as tactics go, I would rather have a headhunter post a job opening
on the net for me to consider at my leisure than call me in my office or,
worse yet, at my home.  I think postings of job openings in net.jobs is
appropriate no matter who does it.  If anyone has an aversion to dealing
with headhunters, the posting can be ignored, just as one would ignore a
posting from a company for whom one doesn't want to work.  Granted, it would
be better form for mdee!root to post specific job openings rather than a
general announcement which, unfortunately, cannot be seen as anything other
than an advertisement.  I consider this to be an error in "netiquette"
rather than a gross offense.  I'm sure mdee!root will take note.

			 	Larry Meehan

			 	uucp:	...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!lwm
				csnet:	lwm@Indiana
			 	ARPA:	lwm.Indiana@CSnet-Relay
				usnail:	Indiana University C. S. Dept.
					Lindley 101
					Bloomington, IN 47405

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) (12/16/85)

In article <420@ur-helheim.UUCP> dave@helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) writes:
>In article <153@mdee.UUCP> root@mdee.UUCP (root) writes:
>>Marilyn Dee Associates Inc. is a search and recruiting firm for
>>the computer professional. ...
>
>Headhunters on the net??!! ...
>Dave Carlson
>{allegra,seismo,decvax}!rochester!ur-valhalla!dave

Inspite of the fact that I do not wish to enter into an argument, I must say
that I find very little, if anything at all, offensive about the infrequent
articles submitted by Marilyn Dee.  I am not a spokesman for mdee, and have
no intention of defending the company (primarily because no defense is needed).
I believe that it is fair, however, to point out that mdee bought and paid for
their Un*x system including the modems, etc., and pay their fare share for
access to the network.  I have spoken with Marilyn Dee on the telephone and
find her company's approach to be professional and relatively low key.  Best
to throw your harpoons at someone else.

TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
(aka Ted Jardine)  CFI-AI
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center
...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!ted

dave@ur-helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) (12/19/85)

The difference between a new product announcement and what mdee!root posted
is:

1)  Since mdee is established enough to be on the net (ie own an expensive not
necessarily indespensible computer) it is reasonable to assume that their
company has been in the AI search game for a while.  Therefore what they offer
is *not* a *new product*.

2)  What mdee offers is not a product at all.  It is a service.  What if decvax
posted advertisements for dec service contacts on unix-wizards for all the people
who post there with complaints of "mchk: tbuf parity" errors.  Not very good
netiquette at all.

I agree that this is more an oversight in netiquette than a gross violation,
(as my friend at iuvax points out), but as this is the first instance I have
witnessed of this sort I thought it important to point it out to the readers
so this net doesn't allow itself to become net.headhunter.  We are a self-
policing body. (ie anarchy!)

If the headhunters want to scam resume's from this net, that's ok but advertising
I can't stomach.

Q:  If someone posts a resume, can a headhunter show it?  (Does public distribution
imply consent to have someone get/offer you a job?)

Reply in this forum.  How 'bout you mdee!root?

dave
--

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (12/20/85)

In article <44900002@hpcnof.UUCP> dat@hpcnof.UUCP writes:
>Terry,
>

>*leaping onto my handy soapbox*
>
>	As far as paying for free advertising...all the policing in the
>world isn't going to stop it, and I think that if the postings are
>relevent and reasonable (and short!) then I'm not adverse to having
>them.
>
>	On the other hand, I do encourage the personnel groups to
>minimize the length of their postings...
>
>	*Climbing off of my soapbox*
>
>	If we all just learned to be more mellow, I think the world
>would be a far better place to live...
>
>					-- Dave Taylor
>					Hewlett Packard

Dave,
	I think your last comment put it best, I should be applied
	to more than this subset of the net.  *MELLOW* is the key,
	accept the net as it is - and not to be so quick to jump up
	and yell fire.  It's just information, and should stay that
	way.  Information *IS* what the net is all about, isn't it ?...

		This has been a paid pollitical broadcast :-)

					Martin la Magician.

Oh, here it comes, the ol' disclaimer (just what i need, something to disclaim).

<DISCLAIMER:  Opinions or ideas expressed are all mine, mine!...
	Dispite fears, I don't read others thoughts and display
	them - without permission.  Rest easy associates.	  >