[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Sequence numbers...

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (05/10/89)

In article <May.8.20.16.01.1989.6980@geneva.rutgers.edu>
hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

>...  I now believe that if you're going to depend upon IP source
>addresses (and from a practical point of view that may still be the
>only tool some of us have), you should set up your gateways to compare
>the claimed IP source address with the actual packet source.  E.g.
>Rutgers might set up all exterior gateways to reject packets coming
>from the outside with source addresses of 128.6.x.x (our class B
>address).  Similarly, the CS department might reject all packets
>physically from outside our department with a source address on one of
>our departmental networks.

	Is this filtering fairly efficient on your cisco routers?
Seems to me it would be a one line access list.  Potentially very
efficient.

	I had been thinking that if you implement a spanning tree
router topology on your campus (typical spine with subnet branches)
that you could harmlessly reject all source addresses received at the
subnet gateway that did not originate from that particular attached
subnet using an access list essentially in the same way you filter
from the outside.  Then, with a secure ARP table in your gateway
(possibly built using SNMP?) you could avoid most if not all source
address masquerading.

	Am I missing anything?  Of course, the attacker may now shift
to a routing attack, network management attack, or crack the root
password on the routers, but straightforward source masquerading is
thwarted.