[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Soderblom and token ring

brock@brock.cs.unc.edu (J. Dean Brock) (05/14/89)

There's a brief article (3 pages) by Olof Soderblom in the Winter 88
issue of Connect, "A 3Com Publication".  (Someone gave me a copy --
got no idea how one is usually obtained.)

I infer that he believes that any network based on "the technique of
arranging terminals in series around a closed transmission ring and
arbitrating access to the ring by circulating a message indicating
when it is free" (Sonderblom's words) relates to his patent.

He states that the token ring was conceived in 1967 and the first
token ring was the Svenska Handelsbanken (a Swedish bank) network
connecting 2,500 terminals at 500 branch office.  That ring
came operational in the early 1970's.  IBM was the prime network
contractor for the Svenska Handelsbanken network.

farber@pcpond.UUCP (David J. Farber) (05/15/89)

Yes, Sonderblom claims that his patents cover  most  varients  of
the  "  token  loop"  technology.  His basic application was as a
terminal control loop. It was only in a much latter USA patent  (
if  my memory serves me late 1970s) that he added claims to cover
a loop with completely decentralized control. The initial patents
did not cover that. To my knowledge the DCS (Distributed Computer
System) underlieing token ring was the first operational ring  to
have  fully  decentralized  control (and the operating system was
one of the first fully distributed fault tolerent  message  based
systems) dated in the 1970 - 1974 time frame.

Dave

farber@pcpond.UUCP (David J. Farber) (05/15/89)

BTW my signature line is:
---------------
David J. Farber; Prof. of CS and EE, Director - Distributed Systems Labs.
University of Pennsylvania/200 South 33rd Street/Philadelphia, PA  19104-6389
Comm: 215-898-9508 (office), 215-274-8192 (fax); 302-740-1198 (cellular)

"Mathematics and science are the study of what IS; Computer science is
the study of what can be DONE."

"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this:
the sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." -- Richard P. Feynman

boomer@athena.mit.edu (Don Alvarez) (05/15/89)

In article <8124@thorin.cs.unc.edu> brock@brock.cs.unc.edu (J. Dean Brock) writes:

>[article by Olof Soderblom] states that the token ring was conceived in 1967
>and the first token ring [...] came operational in the early 1970's.

Sounds to me like the 17 year life-time for patents is about to make this
a non-problem.  If "early 1970's" = 1972, then 1972+17 = 1989.

					-Don Alvarez
--
|  Don Alvarez           M.I.T. Center For Space Research   (617) 253-7457   |

Mills@UDEL.EDU (05/16/89)

Dave,

You missed "Engineering is the art of DOING IT."

What are you suggesting we DO?

Dave