[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] A pox on FTP clients!

nelson@SUN.SOE.CLARKSON.EDU (Russ Nelson) (05/16/89)

A pox on anyone who failed to implement continuation lines in their
FTP clients!  And a warning on anyone who tries to use them in their
FTP server -- don't!
-russ

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (05/18/89)

In article <8905161441.AA27428@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>,
nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
+---------------
| A pox on anyone who failed to implement continuation lines in their
| FTP clients!  And a warning on anyone who tries to use them in their
| FTP server -- don't!    -russ
+---------------

Oops! We'd better hurry and go rip the "HELP" command out of all
those FTP servers out there... ;-}  ;-}

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (05/18/89)

In article <8905161441.AA27428@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>A pox on anyone who failed to implement continuation lines in their
>FTP clients!  And a warning on anyone who tries to use them in their
>FTP server -- don't!

	Yeah.  I agree with this, sort of.  Anyone who claims to have
implimented an ftp client but didn't include support for continuation lines
obviously didn't finish the job or didn't know what the h*ll he was doing.
As far as the server goes though, how would you propose to support the "HELP"
command without continuation lines??  Since that particular protocol command
depends on continuation lines in it's response, any ftp client that does not
support continuation lines either can't support the remote help function or
is flat out BROKE (I opt for the latter).  Any reasonable server should
support the "HELP" command, and as such must use continuation lines.
(BTW: I've done implimentations of both client and server).

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!