[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Feynman on standardization

From the concluding essay ("The Value Of Science") in Richard Feynman's
last book, "What Do *You* Care What Other People Think?":

	Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can,
	improve the solutions, and pass them on.  It is our respon-
	sibility to leave the people of the future a free hand.  In
	the impetuous youth of humanity, we can make grave errors
	that can stunt our growth for a long time.  This we will do
	if we say we have the answers now, so young and ignorant as
	we are.  If we suppress all discussion, all criticism, pro-
	claiming "This is the answer, my friends; man is saved!" we
	will doom humanity for a long time to the chains of authority,
	confined to the limits of our present imagination...

For some reason this made me think of a number of current standardization
efforts, notably ISO networking, X.400 and sons, and the X/NeWS standards
war.  I can't imagine what the connection could be... :-) :-) :-)
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

rhorn@infinet.UUCP (Rob Horn) (05/17/89)

In article <1989May7.232428.14416@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>For some reason this made me think of a number of current standardization
>efforts, notably ISO networking, X.400 and sons, and the X/NeWS standards
>war.  I can't imagine what the connection could be... :-) :-) :-)

Equally apropo, from _Homilies for Humble Standards_, Douglas Ross,
CACM, V19, No 11, Nov 1976:

1. {\em Pro}posed standards can be very beneficial; {\em Im}posed
standards will be a disaster.

2. Standards are not only meaningless, they are actually {\em
dangerous}, if their proper use cannot be understood by those affected
by them.

3. The most important part of a standard is its {\em applicability
clause}, which exactly specifies when {\em not} to use it.

4. Standard{\em ized} methods can become standard methods only when
accepted in use.

5. Standards exist only to {\em serve the needs} of a {\em
non}standard world.  Standards cannot create a standard world.

6. {\em Compatibility} is more achievable than {\em conformability},
and is usually all that is needed.

% from later in the article, not listed as a homily

Humble standards --- those which do not attempt to impose or create
impossible, unacceptable, or impractical levels of standardization ---
are achievable.

The entire original article is well worth repeated reading.  A dozen
years have not improved the general state of standardization efforts
at all.
--
				Rob  Horn
	UUCP:	...harvard!adelie!infinet!rhorn

mo@prisma.UUCP (05/19/89)

In fact, life is much worse.

Vendors have discovered that standards can be used to directly
manipulate market share.  This is certainly NOT "standards
in the service of the users."