[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] FDDI/Soderblum

ddp+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Drew Daniel Perkins) (05/11/89)

As I understand it, most companies in the IEEE 802.5 Token Ring business
have payed outrageous sums of money to a Swiss man named Soderblum (sp?)
for licenses on supposedly patented technology.  Given that the MAC
layer of FDDI is essentially taken directly from IEEE 802.5, I'm curious
if this issue has been raised?  Does anyone know?

Drew

desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) (05/12/89)

In article <YYOB=wS00UoJM0j0oe@andrew.cmu.edu> ddp+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Drew Daniel Perkins) writes:
>As I understand it, most companies in the IEEE 802.5 Token Ring business
>have payed outrageous sums of money to a Swiss man named Soderblum (sp?)
>for licenses on supposedly patented technology.  Given that the MAC
>layer of FDDI is essentially taken directly from IEEE 802.5, I'm curious
>if this issue has been raised?  Does anyone know?
>
>Drew

Yup. FDDI comes under his patent. The kicker is that his percentage
applies to the SYSTEM cost, which is a powerful incentive to package
token-ring products as separate add-ons, rather than building them in.

				Peter Desnoyers

rlfink@ux3.lbl.gov (Robert Fink) (05/12/89)

Though many folk assume the Soderblom patent pervails in all of these
cases, it is still not clear.  It is the case that Soderblom tries to
get FDDI manufacturers to pay the license.  Some (many) pay as it is
currently easier to do so than fight it.  Others may yet fight it, or,
may not.

Bob Fink
Lawrence Berkeley Lab

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (05/16/89)

*Though many folk assume the Soderblom patent pervails in all of these
*cases, it is still not clear.  It is the case that Soderblom tries to
*get FDDI manufacturers to pay the license.  Some (many) pay as it is
*currently easier to do so than fight it.  Others may yet fight it, or,
*may not.

*Bob Fink
*Lawrence Berkeley Lab

the problem here is that this creates a precedence for him to
collect.  "pay me, Froboz pays me, and so does Blaknatz. i'll sue,
you know". then they pay, and pretty soon, everyone pays, because
everyone else is paying. can you imagine a world where every ethernet
board had a royality paid on it? or every RS232 port?

stev knowles
ftp software
stev@ftp.com

bud@ut-emx.UUCP (C. E. Spurgeon) (05/16/89)

In article <8905151730.AA06800@vax.ftp.com> stev@VAX.FTP.COM writes: >
>the problem here is that this creates a precedence for him to
>collect.  "pay me, Froboz pays me, and so does Blaknatz. i'll sue,
>you know". then they pay, and pretty soon, everyone pays, because
>everyone else is paying. can you imagine a world where every ethernet
>board had a royality paid on it? or every RS232 port?

Ethernet is patented.  Xerox has two patents on the system from 1975.
The IEEE802.3 specs note that "The Xerox Corporation has assured the
IEEE that it is willing to grant a license under these patents on
reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms and conditions to anyone
wishing to obtain such a license."

I assume Xerox decided to let the technology out without hassling
anyone for royalties.  I've never heard of someone getting an Ethernet
license from Xerox.  Does anyone bother to do so, one wonders?

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (05/17/89)

In article <2621@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, rlfink@ux3.lbl.gov (Robert Fink) writes:
> Though many folk assume the Soderblom patent pervails in all of these
> cases, it is still not clear.

As I understand it, this Swedish engineer patented the TOKEN RING.  Some
vendors (e.g. from '76 to (present?), Prime Computer) have been selling
token rings while fending off patent infringement lawsuits from
Soderblum(sp?).  IBM pays royalties.

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (05/18/89)

In article <13082@ut-emx.UUCP> bud@emx.UUCP (C. E. "Bud" Spurgeon) writes:
+---------------
| Ethernet is patented.  Xerox has two patents on the system from 1975.
+---------------

Quite true. One is on collision detection (any form of CSMA/CD), and the
other is on repeaters which know about collision detection. Also note that
1975 + 17 = 1992. That is, they're still in force.

+---------------
| The IEEE802.3 specs note that "The Xerox Corporation has assured the
| IEEE that it is willing to grant a license under these patents on
| reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms and conditions to anyone
| wishing to obtain such a license."
| I assume Xerox decided to let the technology out without hassling
| anyone for royalties.  I've never heard of someone getting an Ethernet
| license from Xerox.  Does anyone bother to do so, one wonders?
+---------------

Well, *honest* people did & do!  ;-}   After all, I would say the terms
are quite "reasonable and nondiscriminatory" -- a $1000 one-time license
fee per patent per manufacturer (i.e. $2000 total).

+---------------
| In article <8905151730.AA06800@vax.ftp.com> stev@VAX.FTP.COM writes: >
| >                   ...   can you imagine a world where every ethernet
| >board had a royality paid on it? or every RS232 port?
+---------------

Yes, and Ethernet wouldn't have succeeded nearly as well. Thankfully,
Xerox wanted Etehrnet to succeed more than they wanted to grub a few
bucks. As a result, they probably sold a *lot* more Ethernet components
than they would if it had been more restricted.

Though note, at one point, the patent license fee for building *anything*
that sat on a DEC Unibus was $100 or 10% of retail (whichever was less)
*per copy*, that is, per board that plugged into a Unibus. The add-on
market grumbled, but paid. There was a thriving market in Unibus peripherals...

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

LYNCH@A.ISI.EDU (Dan Lynch) (05/21/89)

Yes, Xerox owns the Ethernet patent.  Two of their scientists, Dave Boggs
and Bob Metcalfe, did the original work and, as with all employers,
assigned the patent rights to the company.  Xerox chose to license
the Ethernet technology to any party for $1,000.00 as a onetime fee.
Make as many copies as you like.  That's pretty "reasonable and nondiscrimin-
atory" I would say.
Dan
-------