[net.jobs] Headhunters

taylor (01/18/83)

I am looking for a software engineering position. Any comments on the
use of a placement service?

Thanks in advance,
	mike taylor
	decvax!wivax!taylor
	wang institute

fox@bnrmtv.UUCP (Richard Fox) (11/12/85)

I believe that headhunters are a good idea for the people who need jobs
and do not have access to all the news papers that may help that person
land a job. By having a headhunter help, more jobs are brought to the
persons attention and the person gets a better chance to match his/her
skills to a company that needs that skill. Jow many of you people are
working in an area that you do not like, or is there an area you prefer?
Headhunters and other agencies might be able to help. When I am ready to leave
my current job I might use the service if I find the market in the Silicon
Valley dry.

		From the memiors of my mind.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (11/14/85)

In article <206@bnrmtv.UUCP> fox@bnrmtv.UUCP (Richard Fox) writes:
>I believe that headhunters are a good idea for the people who need jobs...
> Jow many of you people are
>working in an area that you do not like, or is there an area you prefer?
>Headhunters and other agencies might be able to help. When I am ready to leave
>my current job I might use the service if I find the market in the Silicon
>Valley dry.

   This bears repeating... it is essential that you get a headhunter who cares
about *your* needs, not her or his commission.  A headhunter who pushed his way
into my job search did the following:  completely ignored my geographic
specification, grossly misrepresented my skills (made me into a telecommun-
ications expert when it's all I can do to remember my 'phone number), badgered
me constantly at home and at work (but only *after* 3 months of no results,
when I told him I was interviewing up here without his "help"), and continued
to help me out by advising me that I could take a job that he might have found
even *after* agreeing to work where I am now!  He also came out with a lead
with a leading employer with a great "human factors" rating (they're on the
net, so I won't flatter them with mention by name) which I believe was
fictitious, just so I would hold off on my decision to work here. My other
encounter involved my (now) wife's search.  She had two separate local
agencies looking for a local job before and after she relocated to this
area.  One of them seemed sleezy, and said she'd only get state COBOL
jobs; the other seemed to care more, but wasn't succesful.  She got a
good job with a small, growing medical systems company by calling all
the Yellow Pages "computer" listings.
   Will I use headhunters again?  Maybe, but I would be quick to tell them
to buzz off if they started ignoring my wishes, and I would continue to
look on my own, however much they disliked it.

radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) (11/15/85)

In article <1698@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP(Vicious Oyster) writes:
[proceedes to give several nasty examples]
>   Will I use headhunters again?  Maybe, but I would be quick
>to tell them to buzz off if they started ignoring my wishes,
>and I would continue to look on my own, however much they
>disliked it.

One problem with this:
    If the headhunter sent your resume to a company you decide
to work for within the last six months, your new employer will
have to pay a commision on you irregardless of whether he actually
arranged for anything.  This is a problem for a couple of reasons:
	1.  The headhunter gets paid for not representing you.
	    This is simply disgusting.
	2.  Many companies prefer hiring people who are *not*
	    coming through a recruiter, so giving your resume
	    to a "dastardly" headhunter may actually hurt your
	    chances of getting a job even if you didn't make
	    any arrangements with that company through the
	    headhunter.
I would recommend that you ask the headhunter for references
from
	1.  Individuals who the headhunter placed -and-
	2.  Company representatives of some companies the
	    headhunter has dealt with.
If the headhunter objects to these, you probably don't want
to do business with that headhunter anyway.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage
	calma!radzy@ucbvax.ARPA

jhenry@randvax.UUCP (Jim Henry) (11/19/85)

In California the actual legal language says that only the recruiter who
made the placement can collect the fee.  The only problem is that most
companies and recruiters don't want to get involved in a squabble over
who was responsible for the placement.  Obviously headhunters work in a
pretty gray area and have been guilty of plenty of abuses.  On the other
side I got my last two jobs through headhunters, and made my last hire
through one and I don't think any of it would have happened without the
headhunters.

At one time I was contacted by the California state agency that regulates
employment agencies so I know there are some people who really do try to
keep a eye on these folks.  Their concern at the time they contacted me
was making sure that employers knew their rights in dealing with employment
agencies.

Since I think we all agree that there are plenty of hazards in dealing with
a headhunter as an employee but that it is sometimes necessary given the
current mechanism of the job market, perhaps we should discuss what types
of safeguards we need.  If we can come up with something workable there may
be an attentive audience amongst the state regulators.

To start the ball rolling I submit the following ideas:

Recruiters should not be able to reveal your name to anyone without written
consent from you which explicitly states to whom your identity may be
revealed.

Recruiters should not be able to present your resume to anyone without your
consent and any resume presented shall have your original signature on it.
A signed resume may not be altered in any way.

Recruiters shall not present a candidates unless they have a specific
written job order from the company suitable for the candidate.  The candidate
shall have the right to see a copy of the signed job order before being
presented but the identity of the employer may be hidden.

An administrative board, similar to the board which resolves matters
involving employee complaints, shall be available to resolve complaints
by employment candidates.

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (11/19/85)

Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz writes:
> One problem with this:
>     If the headhunter sent your resume to a company you decide
> to work for within the last six months, your new employer will
> have to pay a commision on you irregardless of whether he actually
> arranged for anything.  This is a problem for a couple of reasons:
> 	2.  Many companies prefer hiring people who are *not*
> 	    coming through a recruiter, so giving your resume
> 	    to a "dastardly" headhunter may actually hurt your
> 	    chances of getting a job ...
As a hiring manager, I second this 100%.  I've worked with good recruiters
were useful and worth every penny; I've run into the other kind.  I still
prefer to hire most people without.  Some more advice:
	a) After checking out a recruiter, get in writing statement that
	they won't send resume to anybody without checking with you first.
	b) If you are going to be contacting some companies on your own, tell
	them so [out of fairness; don't waste their time].
	c) If they find a match for you that you wouldn't have [as hirer or
	hiree], they've earned their money.
	d) If you let them make a contact that you would have also, you
	DEFINITELY hurt your chances for being hired, especially if there's
	a relocation involved.
If somebody walks on water, paying a recruiting fee hasn't bothered me.
More than once I've ended up not hiring people (or seeing this happen)
where it was "if we weren't paying a fee, we'd hire this person, but
they aren't so much better than others we're seeing that we can't afford
to wait."  Money is money, whether it's spent on fees or equipment.
If I spend $10K on a fee, that's a SUN-3 I didn't buy, or a bunch
of conference trips nobody got to take.
--
-john mashey
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (11/19/85)

In article <61@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:
>In article <1698@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP(Vicious Oyster) writes:
>>   Will I use headhunters again?  Maybe, but I would be quick to tell them
>>to buzz off if they started ignoring my wishes, and I would continue to look
>>on my own, however much they disliked it.
>
>One problem with this:
>    If the headhunter sent your resume to a company you decide to work for
>within the last six months, your new employer will have to pay a commision on
>you irregardless of whether he actually arranged for anything.

If you deal exclusively with one headhunter, there is nothing to worry about.
If you are just "browsing the market", stay away from headhunters so you can
have the freedom to speak to whomever you wish -- most of these kind of jobs
are passed word-of-mouth anyway.

If, however, you are actively seeking a new job, I would suggest that you cover
all the ground you can several weeks before contacting any headhunter.  When
you do contact headhunters, enclose a list of all the direct contacts you have
made.  This saves embarrassment for all, and if an unscrupulous headhunter
decides to contact one of your direct contacts, you have adequate documentation
to show that you got there first.

Good headhunters don't want to approach companies you have already contacted.
--
:::::: Artificial   Intelligence   Machines   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (11/20/85)

In article <61@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:

>    If the headhunter sent your resume to a company you decide
>to work for within the last six months, your new employer will
>have to pay a commision on you irregardless of whether he actually
>arranged for anything.

Seems like this would depend on whether the headhunter had an
agreement to this effect with the company beforehand or not.
Like if a company sends you unordered merchandise, you can keep
it and don't owe them anything.  Otherwise, I could make up fake
resume's for everyone in the phone_book/USENIX_proceedings/whatever,
and mail them to every company I could find every six monthes and
rake in lots of commisions.

Snoopy (ECS Ronin #901)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

shawn@mit-eddie.UUCP (Shawn McKay) (12/25/85)

If the net permits Mrs Dee to use it to make money, I will also use it
to make money. I will, without any doubt, post as many 'for sale' items, and
'general intrest' items as it can stomach. I don't feel the net is the place
for this type of thing, but if that's what people want, I am happy to help.

			-- Shawn

Uucp: mit-eddie!shawn
Arpa: Shawn at Mit-Mc