[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] tcpdump followup

deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) (05/31/89)

I recently inquired about tcpdump for Sun's 386i.
It is not available at this time, but if you have a
Sun 3 you may want to know:

> From: Jeffrey C Honig <uwmcsd4!sonne.tn.cornell.edu!jch>

> Tcpdump only works under SunOS 3.[345].  The source is available for
> anonymous FTP (from ftp.ee.lbl.gov if you can find someone to get it to
> you) if you want to try to port it to SunOS 4.0, but you first need a
> fixed nit interface for SunOS 4.0.  Basically you are pretty much out of
> luck until tcpdump is ported to use a generic 'enet' driver that will be
> distributed with it.  There has not been any word on when this will be
> completed though.

It looks like the time has come to buy an Ethernet monitor, since
I need DECnet support as well as TCP/IP (and maybe other protocols).
My options seem to be software for PC's in the $500 - $1200 range, or
a $12,000 - $15,000 "system".  Any suggestions/recommendations?

Dean Roth
deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com