[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Need Opinion on Terminal Server

kennyl@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Ken Lopez) (06/01/89)

I need opinions on the following product. Below, I will list
its features. Please be as critical as possible! Many thanks
in advance...

Kenny   sun!maui!kennyl

PS If I have posted this to the wrong newsgroup I apologize
in advance. :)

Here is Product A:

16 or 32 RS232-C serial ports, 1 parallel port, 1 Ethernet
connector to transceiver.

	o UNIX Interface: Powerful UNIX-style interface with
	built-in "help" facility and job control.

	o "rlogin", "telenet": Full 4.3 bsd TCP/IP networking code
	including "telnt" daemon and name server support.

	o IP Routing: Supports subnets, gateways, Internet and
	ARPAnet access.

	o Central Administration: System administration of all
	hardware from one central computer allows software updates
	quickly and efficiently.

	o Modems: Autobaud, dial in/out, rotaries, flow-control.

	o Printers: Parallel or serial support with "print"
	daemon and spooler.

	o High-availability: Autoreboot from redundant boot servers.

	o Security: Individual, port, and custom password security
	and port tapping.

	o Debugging: Including self-diagnosis,"tap", "ping" and others.

	o Easy Cabling: DB9, DB25, modular telco or direct connect.

	o High-speed: 300 to 38,400 Baud...can repaint 24X80 terminal
	in 0.5 seconds.

	o Comprehensive SL/IP implementation provides alternative
	methods for boot loading and internet access. Any number of
	hardware ports cab be configured as SL/IP interfaces.

	o Multiple Sessions: 8 sessions per port lets each user access
	multiple hosts simultaneously.

	Processor: Type 32-bit NS32016
	           Watchdog timer

	LAN interface: Type IEEE 802.3 and Rev 2.0
		       Ethernet compatible
		       Intel 82586

	Serial Line Interface:	Ports 16 or 32, RS232 or RS423
				Connector Type 50 pin Telco
				Flow control bidirectional
					hardware (DTR/CTS)
					software (XON/XOFF)

	Modem Control:	2 lines (DTR/DCD) for each port

	Line Speed:	Selectable for each port
			from 75 to 38.4 Kbps

	Parallel Printer Port:	Connector type 25-pin female
				Interface Centronics compatible

	Power	AC voltage	110V/220V
		Frequency	60Hz/50Hz
		Current		2A

	Physical Dimensions	Height	5.25" w/o feet
					5.50" w/feet
				Depth	19.0"
				Weight	23 lbs.

	Environment:	Operating Temperature	10-40  degrees C
						50-104 degrees F
			Humidity		60 degrees noncondensing
			Heat Dissapation	511 BTU/hour
Newsgroups: comp.newprod