[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Keep alives....

mo@prisma.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) (06/04/89)

Ok, so we don't do keep-alives at the TCP level.  This is the best reason
I've heard for a session protocol.

mckenney@distek4.uucp (Paul E. McKenney) (06/06/89)

In article <8906040508.AA20495@uunet.uu.net> mo@prisma.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) writes:
>Ok, so we don't do keep-alives at the TCP level.  This is the best reason
>I've heard for a session protocol.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the transport layer cannot determine a
good keepalive ``timeout'' from the RTT and window-size information available
to it, then a session layer hasn't a ghost of a chance of coming up with
anything reasonable.

Has anyone tried to derive keepalive timeouts from RTT and window information?
For a simple example, one might set the timeout to (3000*RTT).  This would
yield a timeout of about 25 minutes for typical NSFnet RTTs (about half a
second).  On low-baudrate lines, the longer packet transmission times would
force the RTT higher (a 1200-baud line requires two-thirds of a second
to turn a minimum-size TCP packet around).

					Thanx, Paul