[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] LOCUS PC-Interface

davidf@colnago.wpd.sgi.com (David Fenstemaker) (06/08/89)

Has anyone had any experience with Locus Corporation's
PC-Interface product? It is used allow a DOS PC to be able
to use a Unix system as a file server. It uses Ethernet TCP/IP, UDP
or RS-232.

You have to port some server software on the Unix side.
Has any one done this port?

Thanks.

David Fenstemaker

latzko@pilot.njin.net (Alex ) (06/09/89)

In article <34862@sgi.SGI.COM> davidf@colnago.wpd.sgi.com (David Fenstemaker) writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with Locus Corporation's
> PC-Interface product? It is used allow a DOS PC to be able
> to use a Unix system as a file server. It uses Ethernet TCP/IP, UDP
> or RS-232.
In the long distant past this product was supported by ATT as their
answer to PC-UNIX networking.  It ran using a weird and propriety
protocol known as 3BNet.  It was usable but only just!

Seriously, ATT dropped support for it ( at version 2.80 ) and as is
quite reasonable LOCUS wanted a real amount of real money to support
it.  The only fly in the ointment is they couldn't supply a TCP/IP
version for the ATT servers we have ( and bletch are still using until
the 386 boxes which are going to replace them are on line ) due to
some contract weirdness.

The biggest win it had was in the way it mounts disks.  The down side
is you are only able to mount one disk at a time in the versions I
have seen. (the last version I have personally used is V2.85.)  The
biggest loss is the way it deals with printing.  It doesn't print
until you exit an application ( unless it is MS-Word which knows how
to deal with weird networking code .)

Naturally, it doesn't support NETBIOS ( why should it ? )

I have seen and used the TCP/IP version and it does work as
advertised, but are you really sure a version of NFS ( either PC-NFS
from SUN or InterDrive from FTP Inc ) wouldn't be a better choice.

Just for the record the redirector in SUN PC-NFS is based on the LOCUS
product. The guts of MERGE/386 (from LOCUS) is as far as I know also
based on the PCI redirector.

Currently, PCI is available as a supported product from Pyramid, IBM
and ( I think ) DEC.

> You have to port some server software on the Unix side.
> Has any one done this port?
This normally comes as part of the package.  LOCUS does this.

> Thanks.
Yer Welcome,
> David Fenstemaker

As always if I have made a mistake I am sure someone will unleash
vicious ( or even friendly ) flames in my direction with corrections.

Cheers
/S*
latzko@rutgers.edu