[net.jobs] Headhunters on the net

aps@decvax.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner) (02/14/85)

Hi gang.
I just thought I would give my two cents worth here.  It seems to
me that the purpose of net.jobs (or at least that to which it has
evolved) is to be simply a ``jobs'' forum: a news group where
someone looking for a job can look and a news group where those with
job openings can make those opening known.  Head hunters make money
by placing people in jobs.  So, if a head hunter ``advertises'' on
the net, they probably have openings to fill.

The only thing I would be concerned about is abuse of the access to
the net by head hunters (simply collecting names of people and
broadcasting (or multicasting) those names everywhere, indiscriminately).

Think of the advantages: instead of having to print out (doesn't
everybody keep their resume on-line) and U.S. Snail mail a resume
to a head hunter with a potentially good opening, you can just
uucp it (mail) to them.

And besides, you don't have to read head hunter postings if you
don't want to.  However, if you are looking for a job, sometimes,
it is wise to check every lead you can.

	aps.

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (12/18/85)

I beleive that the net is a ``not for profit'' network. Therefore,
it is against the "rules" for someone like a headhunter to post
advertisements which they would use directly for their own profit.

Net.jobs serves as job information to people who use the net, and
to companies are truly looking for people to fill open positions.

The following rule should be considered:

	A person may not post a job add in the network if they are
	going to make a dirrect profit for finding someone through it.

Besides, I can't imagine who would want to feed a headhunter with news anyway.
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{ihnp4|akgua|bellcore|clyde|koura}!codas!mikel

svn@sdchema.UUCP (Sameer Nadkarni) (12/21/85)

In article <395@codas.UUCP> mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) writes:
>I beleive that the net is a ``not for profit'' network. Therefore,
>it is against the "rules" for someone like a headhunter to post
>advertisements which they would use directly for their own profit....
>
>The following rule should be considered:
>
>	A person may not post a job add in the network if they are
>	going to make a dirrect profit for finding someone through it.
>
>			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
>			...{ihnp4|akgua|bellcore|clyde|koura}!codas!mikel

I'm not sure I understand this. Do you consider hi-tek companies to
be "not for profit" organizations? And why is "direct" profit such
a dirty word/deed/consequence (as compared to "indirect" profit? )

				Sameer Nadkarni

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (12/30/85)

> In article <395@codas.ATT.UUCP> mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) writes:
> >I beleive that the net is a ``not for profit'' network. Therefore,
> >it is against the "rules" for someone like a headhunter to post
> >advertisements which they would use directly for their own profit....
> >
> >The following rule should be considered:
> >
> >	A person may not post a job add in the network if they are
> >	going to make a dirrect profit for finding someone through it.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Do you consider hi-tek companies to
> be "not for profit" organizations? And why is "direct" profit such
> a dirty word/deed/consequence (as compared to "indirect" profit? )
>
> 				Sameer Nadkarni

I mean that there are many companies that pay phone bills to receive and
send usenet. They do not use it to advertise their products, or services.
Why should a headhunter be allowed to advertise his services on a network
for which other people would be paying for?
--

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (01/03/86)

> Why should a headhunter be allowed to advertise his services on a network
> for which other people would be paying for?
> --
> 			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL

There is very little difference between a headhunter and a
corporate recruiter.  Well, maybe the profit incentive is a little
bigger for the headhunter.    But I bet at a lot of companies
the recruiters get paid by the piece.
    By your reasoning, we shouldn't let programmers post
technical questions to the net if they happen to be entrepreneurs,
rather than employees of one of the "big" companies that pay
"most" of the phone bills.
    Assuming that "net.jobs" exists at all, you will have to
accept that many postings to it will have a profit motive.
It would be fair (but not desirable in my view) if net.jobs is
restricted to postings from job seekers only.  If you allow
employers to post, you must also allow their agents, the headhunters.

steve pope (...ucbvax!spp)

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (01/03/86)

> > Why should a headhunter be allowed to advertise his services on a network
> > for which other people would be paying for?
> > --
> > 			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL

Golly! Where des that leave me?  About five times per year a headhunter
friend of mine asks me to post some open job slots that she is having
trouble filling.  I derive nothing in the way of financial reward,
just the warm feeling of helping a friend in her chosen career.

Of course, the idea that about five people have taken jobs through
her, due directly to my postings for her,  mean that somebody has
found some benefit:  the person who has read about the job and
has decided to try it out.

I would rather have persons such as mdee posting jobs
and giving me the opportunity to 'n' past them, then not have a
newsgroup like net.jobs.

ross m. greenberg
ihnp4!allegra!phri!sysdes!greenber

dave@ur-helheim.UUCP (David F. Carlson) (01/03/86)

In article <11338@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) writes:
>> Why should a headhunter be allowed to advertise his services on a network
>> for which other people would be paying for?
>> --
>> 			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
>
>There is very little difference between a headhunter and a
>corporate recruiter.
>
>steve pope (...ucbvax!spp)

steve,

The difference is fine.  What mdee did was not to post a job
offering (which IS what this net is for.) but s/he posted an
ad for an employment service.  Not a JOB per se but a SERVICE.
Today I had a mdee job listing come over.  A concrete job.
No problem (if it isn't a come on:  $60k for a LISP hacker--
REALLY!!)  If posters stick to jobs not services (which is what
we have phone books and newspapers for :-) ) this net can
remain useful to persons like myself seeking a job not a B....

dave
--
"The Faster I Go the Behinder I Get"
--Lewis Carroll

Dave Carlson

{allegra,seismo,decvax}!rochester!ur-valhalla!dave