[net.jobs] Terror over posting....

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (12/12/85)

	I'm curious to ask people who've posted resume's...

Don't you have some trepidation that your manager might be secretly
reading this notes group or worse yet, some sly fellow employee might
forward your posting to your manager???

	Please either mail or post responses.

						-- Dave Taylor
						Hewlett Packard

moore1@ihuxi.UUCP (Moore) (12/26/85)

> 	I'm curious to ask people who've posted resume's...

> Don't you have some trepidation that your manager might be secretly
> reading this notes group or worse yet, some sly fellow employee might
> forward your posting to your manager???
> I posted an article in the job.net sometime ago trying to find out

> 	Please either mail or post responses.
>
> 						-- Dave Taylor
> 						Hewlett Packard

	I'm curious too, Dave.  Sometime ago I posted an article in
	the job.net to determine what job opportunities for Technical
	Editors/Writers were available in the Seattle area.  A short
	time later, a colleague came to me and said he'd seen my
	posting.  He also suggested that I refrain from such posting
	in the future because it may jeapordize my position.  Although
	at the time the posting was perfectly innocent (I had no in-
	tention or desire to leave my present employment...I was just
	testing the waters), I have since refrained from doing even
	that on the chance that a supervisor may see it, or get wind
	of it threw some other source.
	If you get anymore response to your query, I'd appreciate
	your sharing.
	Thanks,

	Tom Moore
	AT&T Bell Labs

moore1@ihuxi.UUCP (Moore) (12/26/85)

> > 	I'm curious to ask people who've posted resume's...
>

> > Don't you have some trepidation that your manager might be secretly
> > reading this notes group or worse yet, some sly fellow employee might
> > forward your posting to your manager???
> > I posted an article in the job.net sometime ago trying to find out
>
> > 	Please either mail or post responses.
> >
> > 						-- Dave Taylor
> > 						Hewlett Packard
>
> 	I'm curious too, Dave.  Sometime ago I posted an article in
> 	the job.net to determine what job opportunities for Technical
> 	Editors/Writers were available in the Seattle area.  A short
> 	time later, a colleague came to me and said he'd seen my
> 	posting.  He also suggested that I refrain from such posting
> 	in the future because it may jeapordize my position.  Although
> 	at the time the posting was perfectly innocent (I had no in-
> 	tention or desire to leave my present employment...I was just
> 	testing the waters), I have since refrained from doing even
> 	that on the chance that a supervisor may see it, or get wind
> 	of it threw some other source.
> 	If you get anymore response to your query, I'd appreciate
> 	your sharing.
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	Tom Moore
> 	AT&T Bell Labs

	You'll have to excuse my spelling of "through" in the previous
	article.  The thought of getting caught looking for another
	job while gainfully employed by the developers of the U*nix
	system, while using same, "threw" me for a loop.  It wouldn't
	look very professional to claim to be a Writer/Editor and not
	know the difference.

	Thank you for your patience.

	Tom Moore
	AT&T Bell Labs

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (01/03/86)

> > 	I'm curious to ask people who've posted resume's...
>

> > Don't you have some trepidation that your manager might be secretly
> > reading this notes group or worse yet, some sly fellow employee might
> > forward your posting to your manager???

Sounds like a neat way to make your employer a little
nervous.

Another one is to show up for work in a suit (you usually
wear blue jeans) and leave in mid-afternoon for a dentist
appointment.

On a more serious level, looking for another job is neither
legal nor rational grounds for termination.  If you do
get fired merely for interviewing for a different job,
hit 'em with a fat lawsuit.

On the other hand suppose you suspect an employee under you
is out looking.  Thing to do is, give their name to a headhunter
who has the perfect lucrative job for that particular
individual.
    One of two things will happen: (1) The employee decides not
to take the job the headhunter offers.  He or she was probably
never serious about changing jobs, and will thereafter settle
down for a while and put his or her mind back to work.  (2) They
take the job.  Probably would have left in any case, but
this way you get a fat commission from the headhunter.
    Either way you come out ahead.

steve pope (...ucbvax!spp)

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/03/86)

> On a more serious level, looking for another job is neither
> legal nor rational grounds for termination.  If you do
> get fired merely for interviewing for a different job,
> hit 'em with a fat lawsuit.

If an employer fires an employee for job-hunting, what law
does that violate?  I'm not aware of any.

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (01/04/86)

In article <11337@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) writes:
>On a more serious level, looking for another job is neither
>legal nor rational grounds for termination.  If you do
>get fired merely for interviewing for a different job,
>hit 'em with a fat lawsuit.

Huh?  On what grounds?
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr

	"There was an old woman, as I have heard say.
	 She tickled the critters that came in her way.
	 Hi, ho, fiddle dee dee."