[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] CD/ROM players via TCP/IP

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (06/18/89)

In article <8906171008.AA21507@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MONTEIRO@GRAF.POLY.EDU (Tony Monteiro) writes:
>Has anyone heard of anything that will allow a CD/ROM to be
>accessible via TCP/IP? I am especially interested in devices
>that can play multiple CD/ROM's. Thanks.

  At the Usenix conference just past I was looking at CD-rom players
attached to Suns, in a publisher's booth where they had just released
their first CD, a copy of the Gnu project's complete works to date.
  Presumably you can at least ftp from suns, in the event you can't get
the dsks exported by nfs.

--dave

--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

BILLY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Billy Barron, VAX System Manager) (06/19/89)

In article <1726@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, Tony Monteiro <MONTEIRO@GRAF.POLY.EDU> writes:
> Has anyone heard of anything that will allow a CD/ROM to be
> accessible via TCP/IP? I am especially interested in devices
> that can play multiple CD/ROM's. Thanks.

One solution I know that will work is to have a CD-ROM on a PC and then run
NCSA Telnet on the PC in server mode.

Billy Barron                  Bitnet : BILLY@UNTVAX
VAX system manager            THENET : NTVAXB::BILLY
University of North Texas   Internet : billy@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
                                SPAN : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::BILLY

BILLY@VAXB.ACS.UNT.EDU ("Billy Barron, VAX System Manager") (06/19/89)

From: BILLY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Billy Barron, VAX System Manager)
Newsgroups: tcpip
Subject: Re: CD/ROM players via TCP/IP
Date: 19 Jun 89 08:13:51 GMT

MONTEIRO@GRAF.POLY.EDU (Tony Monteiro) (07/22/89)

Has anyone heard of anything that will allow a CD/ROM to be
accessible via TCP/IP? I am especially interested in devices
that can play multiple CD/ROM's. Thanks.

Tony Monteiro
Polytechnic University
New York