[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NFS for the mac

stan@ANES.UCLA.EDU (Stan Stead) (06/03/89)

Could someone please mail to me possible sources for NFS for a MAC II,
and suggestions for ethernet cards.  Thanks in advance.

Stanley W. Stead
UCLA School of Medicine / Dept of Anesthesiology
BELL:	(213) 206-6238
ARPA:	ucla-an!stan@ee.UCLA.EDU
BITNET:	ucla-an!stan@EE
UUCP:	{randvax | ucla-cs}\
			    !ucla-an!stan
UUCP:	{att|decvax}!hermix/

kdb@intercon.uucp (06/12/89)

In article <8906021917.AA14948@anes.ucla.edu.ANES>, stan@ANES.UCLA.EDU (Stan Stead) writes:
> Could someone please mail to me possible sources for NFS for a MAC II,
> and suggestions for ethernet cards.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Stanley W. Stead
> UCLA School of Medicine / Dept of Anesthesiology
> BELL:	(213) 206-6238
> ARPA:	ucla-an!stan@ee.UCLA.EDU
> BITNET:	ucla-an!stan@EE
> UUCP:	{randvax | ucla-cs}\
> 			    !ucla-an!stan
> UUCP:	{att|decvax}!hermix/

I don't know of anyone who has NFS running on the Mac.  I had heard that
CITI had a version that ran on the Mac, but I believe that it was funded
by Apple and is not in the public domain.  Apple has the right to commercially
ship that version or a version based on CITI code (again, I am not totally
sure of these facts, so if someone knows different please jump in).  Apple,
however, has not made any announcments that say they are going to ship it
in the near future.  I would think that they do have plans on shipping a
version sometime in the near future.  At least I hope so, we have been holding
off on doing something like this because we don't want to get caught putting
time into something that Apple is going to end up supplying for low $$.

Hope that answers you question about NFS.
--
Kurt Baumann
InterCon Systems Corporation

Phone: 703.450.7117  FAX: 703.437.3454  AppleLink: D1988
Email: kdb@intercon.uucp

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (06/13/89)

*I don't know of anyone who has NFS running on the Mac.  I had heard that
*CITI had a version that ran on the Mac, but I believe that it was funded
*by Apple and is not in the public domain.  Apple has the right to commercially
*Kurt Baumann
*InterCon Systems Corporation
*46950 Community Plaza
*Suite 101-132
*Sterling, VA 22170

*Phone: 703.450.7117  FAX: 703.437.3454  AppleLink: D1988
*Email: kdb@intercon.uucp

i believe that peter honeyman did this for them. i dont know what
heppened either, but there was talk at the last interop about it
being just cresting the horizon. i have also heard talk of someone
doing a appletalk to NFS gateway. what is involved i have no idea, so
dont bother to ask. the only appletalk packets i see are from the 2
MACS the doc people have when they boot up in the morning.

slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (06/13/89)

>I don't know of anyone who has NFS running on the Mac.  I had heard that
>CITI had a version that ran on the Mac, but I believe that it was funded
>by Apple and is not in the public domain.  Apple has the right to commercially
>ship that version or a version based on CITI code (again, I am not totally
>sure of these facts, so if someone knows different please jump in).  Apple,
>however, has not made any announcments that say they are going to ship it
>in the near future.  I would think that they do have plans on shipping a
>version sometime in the near future.  At least I hope so, we have been holding

This is correct.  I did a story on NFS for a magazine called MIPS, and in
the process interviewed the people at CITI. (The story's coming out in a
month or so.)  The CITI people (whose names escape me, but they're on the
net) said that Apple had funded their work and had the rights to it, and that
they didn't know of any other sources for NFS code for Apple.
	As recently as a month or six weeks ago, NFS was supposed to be
announced on June 12 with all the other Apple products.  Under nondisclosure,
I was briefed by Apple on May 3 or so.  (My nondisclosure ended on June 12.)
About a week afterward, they called and said the product would not be
released on June 12 after all.  I was not able to get an official reason why
it was being pulled, or any indication of if or when it might be released
after all.
	It's a cool product.  It includes an implementation of TCP/IP and an
NFS client with a typical Mac interface.
--
"Why should I let a loathsome little toad like you touch my breast
when you haven't even read my books!"

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (06/14/89)

*   doing a appletalk to NFS gateway. what is involved i have no idea, so

*AppleShare file protocol to NFS.  A mounted NFS volume on one of our

*L. David Umbaugh (Dave)
*CSE Dept. Univ. Texas at Arlington
*internet:  umbaugh@hcx.arl.utexas.edu     phonenet:  cs_umbaugh@uta.edu
*CSNET:  cs_umbaugh%uta.edu@relay.cs.net   BITNET:  B652LDU@UTARLG
*snail-mail: P.O.Box 19015, Arlington, TX  76019
*telephone: (817) 273-3628

appleshare, right, sorry about that, i knew something looked wrong,
but couldnt put my finger on it . . . .

gatesl@netcom.UUCP (Lee Gates) (06/19/89)

>Cayman Systems makes a LocalTalk to EtherTalk gateway similar to the
>Kinetics FastPath.  Cayman's "Gatorbox" also translates from
>AppleShare file protocol to NFS.  A mounted NFS volume on one of our
>Suns appears on our Macintosh desktops just like our AppleShare
>volume.

  Regaring the Cayman Gator Box--Does anyone know if it is possible to
use it to translate from the AppleShare to NFS and to also get to DECNET?

Thanks, Lee
--
gatesl@netcom.uucp

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (06/19/89)

>   Regaring the Cayman Gator Box--Does anyone know if it is possible to
> use it to translate from the AppleShare to NFS and to also get to DECNET?

  At this time the GatorBox does not support DecNET routing.  We are very
interested in putting in this functionality, however I cannot give you an
approximate release date.

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems

VSBENZI@WEIZMANN.BITNET (Benzi mizrahi) (06/23/89)

Hello all,

   Since the name of Cayman Gator box has been mentioned in this
   discussion, I'd like to post a question about it.

   Can we  do  mount, from a Mac connected to ethernet via GatorBox,
   to VMS host running FUSION nfs server? Is there anyone out who
   succeeded in this task? Thanx, benzi

honey@CITI.UMICH.EDU (Peter Honeyman) (07/07/89)

citi's nfs for the mac was developed by staff programmers tom unger, tim
endres, and steve fram.  tom did most of the design work and led the
programming team.  omar juma and chuck jerian also made significant
technical contributions.  i managed the effort (not well), wrote reports
(late), and helped with the design and implementation (a little).

	peter

slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (07/22/89)

>being just cresting the horizon. i have also heard talk of someone
>doing a appletalk to NFS gateway. what is involved i have no idea, so

Cayman's Gatorbox can function in this way, I believe...
--

umbaugh@hcx (Dr David L. Umbaugh) (07/23/89)