[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Is rhost

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (06/16/89)

I'm new to writing socket code, and I've run across some code that uses rhost(),
which is not in my library. Does this perform a similar function to
geth[ost]byname()? Anybody got some good get-aquainted-to-sockets code?

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/16/89)

Rhost was the 4.1 BSD TCP host lookup routine.  It's syntax
(if I recall) was roughly:

	long	rhost(namep)
	char	**namep;

Where namep is a pointer to a character array containing the
name to be looked up.  When successful rhost puts a pointer
to an array containing the official host name in namep and
returns the internet address.

-Ron

alycef@socrates2.rdrc.rpi.edu (Alyce Faulstich) (06/17/89)

I am a "returning" net reader after a leave of almost 2 years.  I seem to
remember some discussion about it being very difficult to replace the
battery of a 3b1.  I didn't pay much attention at the time, but since
I was also on leave from my 3b1 for almost a year (during which it was
powered off) I'm afraid that I will have to replace the battery.  I was
hoping that I would find answers on the net without having to ask any
questions, but the topic was probably exhausted long ago!  Please, would
someone jump-start my memory by letting me know what the 3b1 battery
issues are?

Alyce Faulstich
alyce@rdrc.rpi.edu

hwajin@wrswrs.UUCP (Hwajin Bae) (06/17/89)

In article <556@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>I'm new to writing socket code, and I've run across some code that uses rhost(),
>which is not in my library. Does this perform a similar function to
>geth[ost]byname()? Anybody got some good get-aquainted-to-sockets code?

Ahhhh... memories...
The rhost() system call is an older 4.1BSD equivalent of gethostby*()
like calls... so it's better to convert the code to use newer gethostby*()
style calls.  THe only still widely available 4.1 BSD TCP/IP code is
the one by Excelan whose TCP/IP and socket code runs on (literally) their
intelligent ethernet boards.  Most of us are using 4.3 based TCP/IP as
you know.

hwajin
--
{uunet,rtech,sun}!wrs!hwajin (UUCP)
bae@tis.llnl.gov (Internet)

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (07/23/89)

Boy, our network is really getting good.  I got the answer before the
question!

Cornett